Any fellow humanists out there?

by Eyebrow2 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Correct. I ate all the red jelly babies anyway.

But the burning bush has distinct possibilities. What if we placed a rack of ribs over the burning bush, and had the ceremonial finger rolls on standby along with the BBQ sauce...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I prefer chocolate sauce, myself (albeit a little sticky), but I can go with BBQ...

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

LT you blow my mind - chocolate sauce with ribs over the burning bush??

My god man, have you any idea of the consequences of such symbolism in a ceremony like that? Its madness I say, madness!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

~wibble~

I was trying to think of an imaginative way of inserting a sloppy kiss

Edited to add (because I've run out of posts):

Now I'm in a quandry as to how we're gonna fit grated cheese in there. Won't it bubble, melt and leave a mess???

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

ahhh OK. (Katie calms down)

Like I say its W.I.P.

I think the sloppy kiss has got to come somewhere between the grated cheese and the turning of ribena into wine.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

tal

Don't you mean you're a hufemist?

LT

Ah, but as it (your personal experience) was real to you, as real as any other experience like getting your feet wet walking on dew-soaked grass, then you could hold that god is not supernatural but is actaully infranatural, as fundamental a building block of the Universe as other unobservable stuff people theorise on.

Anyway, like Fe203Girl says, "if I can be a Xtian that does not believe in God, I am sure you can be a Humanist with a personal relationship with Jesus."

If one views Christianity as a philosophy of life, then indeed one can be an atheistic Christian (on the assumption that supersticious savages added all the god crap to what was an account of someone simply telling people to be nice to each other).

But, in line with the topic, yeah, I'm a humanist, as labelling my self with the negation of something I don't believe in is silly. Afterall, we are all atoothfairyiststs, but no one uses the term...

• katiekitten
    katiekitten
    we are all atoothfairyiststs

Now that is interesting. After giving myself up to mythical creatures when I left the dubs, my daughter was losing baby teeth.

When she was about 5 and lost one my mum made some comment about the tooth fairy coming round. My daughter politely listened, then when my mum had gone she said 'silly nana, theres no such thing as the tooth fairy is there mum?'

Well, she soon bloody well believed after the bugger left her £2 under her pillow!

• Nick
    Nick

From the web:

The word "humanism" has a number of meanings, and because authors and speakers often don't clarify which meaning they intend, those trying to explain humanism can easily become a source of confusion. Fortunately, each meaning of the word constitutes a different type of humanism -- the different types being easily separated and defined by the use of appropriate adjectives. Here is a summary of the different varieties of humanism.

Literary Humanism is a devotion to the humanities or literary culture.

Renaissance Humanism is the spirit of learning that developed at the end of the middle ages with the revival of classical letters and a renewed confidence in the ability of human beings to determine for themselves truth and falsehood.

Cultural Humanism is the rational and empirical tradition that originated largely in ancient Greece and Rome, evolved throughout European history, and now constitutes a basic part of the Western approach to science, political theory, ethics, and law.

Philosphical Humanism is any outlook or way of life centered on human need and interest. Sub-categories of this type include Christian Humanism and Modern Humanism.

Christian Humanism is defined by Webster's Third New International Dictionary as "a philosophy advocating the self- fulfillment of man within the framework of Christian principles." This more human-oriented faith is largely a product of the Renaissance and is a part of what made up Renaissance humanism.

Modern Humanism, also called Naturalistic Humanism, Scientific Humanism, Ethical Humanism and Democratic Humanism is defined by one of its leading proponents, Corliss Lamont, as "a naturalistic philosophy that rejects all supernaturalism and relies primarily upon reason and science, democracy and human compassion." Modern Humanism has a dual origin, both secular and religious, and these constitute its sub-categories.

Secular Humanism is an outgrowth of 18th century enlightenment rationalism and 19th century freethought. Many secular groups, such as the Council for Democratic and Secular Humanism and the American Rationalist Federation, and many otherwise unaffiliated academic philosophers and scientists, advocate this philosophy.

Religious Humanism emerged out of Ethical Culture, Unitarianism, and Universalism. Today, many Unitarian- Universalist congregations and all Ethical Culture societies describe themselves as humanist in the modern sense.

Nick

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Sigh. Its all got too complicated for me.

Im taking my bat home.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit