• John Doe
    John Doe

Presbaholiciaptistianism.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Sob don't rastas count GBL?

• John Doe
    John Doe

Nah, I'd be a Christian Jewish Proselyte. Then I'd have all my bases covered. :-)

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

You crack me up!

Catholic, since mass is only 45 minutes. Then the bullet.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

LOL sorry doof!

GBL

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Pentecostal.....

Hibe

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

It might be fun to be a Pentecostal for while. I'd speak in tongues at every service and slip little swear words in amongst my unintelligible rants.

GBL

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

A poster on this board once posed a very simple question that helped me clarify how I felt about the way that organized religion has typically depicted the relationship between man and God.

He wrote:

"Ask yourself this simple question: Can you truly, honestly, and without reservation, promise to love and serve someone who threatens to kill you if you don't?"

Reading that sentence was a defining moment in my life, I could almost see the lightbulb flash over my head. No, I couldn't do that. And nor did I think that any loving, caring, creative force in the universe would ever ask me to.

Fear is a great motivator, and it is used to great advantage by many of those who claim to serve a "loving, just God". Fear of not achieving the ultimate 'prize' for good behavior (be that heaven, or living on a paradise earth, or getting 20 virgins, or having your own universe to control, etc.) is what motivates someone to spend their entire life chasing that promise.

But when you take that fear out of the equation, when you remove the idea that the only purpose of your life is to gamble everything on the idea that paradise awaits if you can just toil through this miserable existence, you can start to appreciate what it means to be alive right now. You might start to see that today, this moment, is the prize. That it is more important and valuable than what might be waiting out there someday if you only suffer enough to get there.

And if you feel that freedom, if you learn that toiling and suffering just for the promise that it will all end one day, you start to see how all that fear has made you ignore the here and now. You just might decide that all that fear simply isn't worth it, and let it go.

And if you do that, if you realize that you don't have to buy into the fear they've been selling, they've lost you--and they can't afford to lose you.

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

"Ask yourself this simple question: Can you truly, honestly, and without reservation, promise to love and serve someone who threatens to kill you if you don't?"

holy crap thats great

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

It might be fun to be a Pentecostal for while. I'd speak in tongues at every service and slip little swear words in amongst my unintelligible rants.

GBL

Being a Christian is fun GBL. I tell you soooo.

Hibiscusfire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit