Children or no Children?

by Sirona 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie
    Despite the fact that I've always wanted kids, right now I'm not so sure. Just look at the things happening in the world.

I imagine that this argument has existed since time immemorial. I can just imagine some ancient roman saying "But is it wise to have children now? With the barbarians coming down from the hills?" or an american couple in 1860 saying "I can't imagine bringing a child into a society that keeps slaves, that is more than likely to be ripped apart by war". The decline of society at large and it's suitability for future generations is an ongoing argument, likely never to end.

It's a complex, highly personal decision. It is at the same time one of the simplest. You do it, or you don't, and you live, and live with, that decision for the rest of your life. It's one of the most rewarding, joyous, terrifying and exasperating jobs you'll ever have, parenthood.

• Princess
    Princess

I just got home from my seven year old daughter's dress rehearsal for a hula performance at a Lu'au on Saturday. It truly scares me how well she moves those little girl hips. Watching her perform is so amazing.

At the post office today my eight year old son started discussing whether the president should be allowed to run for a second term or if one should be long enough. Listening to his reasoning and how his magnificent mind works is so amazing.

Steve and I miss the selfish aspects of not having children. Sleeping in, going out without having to hire a babysitter, having to be home at a certain time, the spontaneity you enjoy as a childless couple, but we wouldn't trade it for anything.

Besides, we didn't want to be one of those weird couples who treats their animals like they are children and call themselves "mommy" and "daddy" to the dog.

• Legolas
    Legolas

I started to post a few times I am going to post this though! I don't want to come of as a kid hater though, because I have 2 that I wouldn't give up...

No Children!!

• tnangel73
    tnangel73

It's about 4 and a half weeks until my due date, so I guess my answer to that would be "children!" I had reserved myself to thinking for years that I would never have children (I didn't think I could get pregnant because of some health issues I had). Whenever anyone asked me if I wanted children, I would always answer, if it happens that's great, but if it doesn't then that's ok, too. Most people didn't understand that point of view. I went through a lot emotionally when I found out I was pregnant but I was really thrilled and still am, even though I have a ton of stuff to do before the baby gets here. More about it later.

• Bryan
    Bryan

KIDS!

• misguided
    misguided
    <pity party>Now I'm childless, no wife, and the youngest in my family. And too old to start again. I'll probably die cold and alone. </pity party

finallyfree...

<pity party> overloaded with children, no husband, and the oldest in my family, not too late to start again, definately not dying cold and alone. </pity party>

wanna have a pity party?

lol...Rose

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

Well Ive got 4. Personally i love having kids, and feel priviledged to have brought mine into the world. I understand the point of the world being a bad place, but i can never see why a baby coming into this world is a bad thing. The only circumstances that upset me is when the the parents arent fit to look after them properly.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

My parents were born in 1943, right in the middle of the second world war. Allied victory was far from certain at that point.

My dad grew up, and experienced the Cuban missile crisis. He genuinely thought that it would escalate and we'd all be cinders.

I was born in 1971. The cold war raged on. Nuclear proliferation continued, and in the 1980s, we all worried that we'd all be cinders.

I remember vividly, as I am sure we all do, where I was and everything I did on September 11 2001. I knew deep in the pit of my stomach, that this would escalate, and our lives would never be the same again. Yes, many people have died since then as a result, but in reality, what has changed in our daily lives?

We keep going.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I would love to have children one day. I love children, get along well with them & all my friends kids just adore "lou lou" or Bellas' mom ( my cat ).

Only thing is my clock is ticking - I'm 29 and need to have kids in the next 5 years or so. Where the hell am I going to find 'the love of my life' settle down, get marriend & pregnant in such a short space of time.

I don't think there is a greater display of love than between the mother and her child.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think some parents need to stop being wimpy with their kids. Saying no to a child is not going to stunt them for life. Giving a child boundries (me adult you child) is not going to make them hate you. Enforcing rules is not going to give a child low self esteem.

When my kids want to do something with their friends that seems a bit dubious I give them the out of telling their friends "my mom says I cant". I tell them to blame it on me if they want to save face with their friends and quite frankly I think it makes my kids (esp my oldest boy) feel better that their mom cares enough about them to be here and not let them do stupid stuff. Though I realize I cant always be there to stop all of the stupid stuff. *sigh* I put this on the wrong topic

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit