My story of abuse and disappointment.

by ackack 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Confession
    Confession

Great site, Avishai. I'll post a bit for those who don't want to read all of it...

The Oprah Winfrey Show. 2 Four men describe how their wives hit them in the lower back with a pole, cracked them over the head or in the neck with a frying pan...the audience renews its laughter after each story. The men are part of a "PMS Men's Support Group."

Imagine an audience of men laughing as battered women describe how their husbands threatened them with brain or spinal cord injuries by battering them over their heads or in their necks with a frying pan.

Note that all of these battered husbands are still with their wives. When a woman stays with a man who batters, we provide shelters to encourage her to escape. If she decides not to escape, we say she is a victim of "Battered Woman Syndrome."

When battered women form support groups, we call it a Battered Women's group — her victimization is cited. In the PMS Men's support group, the woman's excuse is cited — the fact that the men were battered is left out. For men, unemployment often precedes battering, but women rarely form a "Wives with Unemployed Husbands' Support Group" (no mentioning of the battering) to help them understand the cause of the battering — the unemployment. The emphasis of the men's group was on understanding, coping, changing the situation and then, if all else failed, getting out; the emphasis of battered women's groups is on getting out first, and second, locking up the problem (the man).

In brief, when women batter, men's first priority is to support the women and help them change; when men batter, women's first priority is to escape the men and put them in prison. The motto of feminists: "There is never an excuse for hitting a woman." Shouldn't it be, "There is never an excuse for hitting."? None of these distinctions were made by anyone on the show.

This hits home so hard with me. Why is society this way?

I think, at the heart of it, is the base attitude most all of us (men and women) have about women: we want to make sure they're protected. We see them as "the weaker vessel" (female bodybuilders and wrestlers notwithstanding!) The policy I was always taught was: "A man should never hit a woman." It is a stronger person taking advantage of a weaker person.

But it makes me wonder about something else. What if it's the woman taking advantage of the man? The above Oprah episode illustrates it: people chuckle about it. They joke about it. But I wonder... When a woman strikes a man, does she give up her position as "the weaker vessel?"

I mean I completely buy in to the "men should never strike a woman" policy. But doesn't that policy assume that we are still living in the age of chivalry? I believe that time, known for its showing of honor and gallantry toward women, was also a time when women wouldn't dare abusively strike a man.

I'm thankful that, when married, I always kept any anger from carrying me into physical violence--even while she, an alcoholic, was abusing me. I suppose it is that experience that brings me to the following conclusion: When a woman beats a man, she rescinds whatever expectation she may have that she will receive no such treatment in return.

I thought of this a few years ago, when I was standing in line outside of a nightclub. There was a man who was acting as the doorman, letting people in as space permitted. He was being very pleasant, chatting with those in line, letting us know what sort of wait was expected. Then a young lady walked past all of us in line and tried to sweet talk him into letting her in ahead of us. He kindly explained that while he knew this happened at some places, it did not happen there. She kept pushing, until he finally had to become firm with her. He said, "Miss, I'm sorry. There are a lot of people waiting here. If you'll wait your turn, I'm sure we'll get you in within the next thirty minutes or so, okay?"

Her response was certainly less than gracious. She kicked him with full force in his groin. His pain was clearly intense and he could no longer stand. Those standing in line, both male and female, were outraged. A man grabbed the woman by the shoulders as she tried to slip away. He didn't hit her, but you can bet the whole group was clamoring for him too. The lady in front of me said, "I hope he smacks her up good."

How do you feel about this? While violence can't be tolerated, does a woman have the right to use her "weaker vessel" token when she has been physically abusive to a man?

• avishai
    avishai

How do you feel about this? While violence can't be tolerated, does a woman have the right to use her "weaker vessel" token when she has been physically abusive to a man?
    Nope. Granted, the guy should walk off, and press charges, but From my experiences (And I've worked security and had almost the EXACT scenario happen) Violent Women do this because they KNOW a man won't retaliate. They DEPEND on our conditioning. Especially the ones that continually take shota at the "nice " guys. I've actually heard women say "When I've hit a guy, I did it because I KNEW he would'nt hit me back, I could get away with it." What we need is OTHER women who'll come up and take care of chicks like this, instead of protecting them, or having a "right on sista" attitude.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I am appalled that on the Oprah sho the audience were laughing at abuse.

The only thing I can think of to account for that is that people are really not comfortable with the whole concept of men as the victim. It sort of reminds me of when I was small every now and then people would talk about "funny uncles". People had no frame of reference to deal with these abuses. It wasn't until the late 70's and early 80's that incest and sexual abuse even started to be researched and taken seriously.

My heart goes out to men in similar situations. I know how hard it was for me to "come out". As a woman abuse almost comes with the territory. But it has to so difficult for a man to come forward and say what happened to him.

sad. Seems we still have a lot of work to do to change attitudes

• ackack
    ackack

I am not ashamed of what happened to me. Nor am I a victim of it. I'm thankful that I was able to move on, to sever this relationship, and learn from it.

Its interesting, because before I decided to disassociate myself (several months before), I ran into a sister from my old book study group on my street. Now I loved the people in my book study group, and this particular sister was rather troublesome. I made an effort to listen to her, buy her a coffee, help her out with chores, let her vent. I frequently would give her rides. She saw me on the street, looked like a deer caught in headlights. As soon as she saw me, she held her head low and completely ignored me.

So that is what shunning feels like, its not a very good feeling.

Two amusing side points, I'm attempting to get a divorce from this beastly woman. She is denying the abuse completely in a court of law though. I have no proof of what I had undergone for five years (not to mention during the time i dated her). She admitted this to the elders, but would refuse to do so outside of that context. When I mentioned this to several of the elders back there (again before I DA'ed) they shrugged it off like no big deal. Aparently, I'm not to be comforted, getting a "legal" divorce was crossing the line in their minds, and I deserved what I got.

The other amusing point is that after I left, she "accused" me before the elders with having had premarital sex with me. This in fact happened 10 years ago, and when I ran into an elder on the street, he informed me they needed to have a judicial committee about this. To think, that for a sin 10 years in the past, we need to apply the law against you. Such a silly legalistic point of view. Having had sex with someone 10 years ago for a very brief period is evidently a terribly sin. Beating and belittling someone for 5 years is not so terrible.

Its funny you know, because I was the one who ultimately came forward with this information. I don't understand the standard for disfellowshipping I guess... five years, you're found out, but now all of the sudden, you're repentent.

Sorry to vent a bit here, but the injustice of it bothers me quite a bit. The continuing injustice I should say, for the legal battle still goes on.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    I thought about killing myself, killing her

From one abuse survivor to another: I'm glad you made it out alive and not in jail.

My marriage was similar, but then I'm a woman etc. But physical and emotional abuse is still abuse, no matter who the abuser is. I'm 5'9 and was about 120 pounds. He's 6'3 and was then about 230. Big difference. He'd throw me around like a sack of potatos.

I considered murder. Afterall, the only way out of marriage was thru death or adultry, and he wasn't about to get caught there. But I decided there was no way he was worth spending the rest of my life in jail. I attempted suicide with a S&W 44 magnum 4" black barrel with walnut handgrips. It would have done the job well. Except on the 3rd trigger pull I happened to point it up to the ceiling..... BANG! I'm still hard of hearing in my right ear. And I'm still alive! I shot the will to live back into me, and was out of the house 8 months later.

If you ever need to talk, you are welcome to PM me. I've been thru 2 abusive spouses, and through almost 2 years of hard work on domestic violence recovery.

I'm glad you're here. Thank you so much for taking the risk and telling us a little about yourself.

Giant Hugs

Auntie Brenda

PS - when I brought up the abuse in it's early stages to one of the elders, I was told it was probably my fault that I wasn't being the proper wife and attending to his needs appropriately......

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

One more point about abuse:

Sadly, the victim often becomes the abuser. In my case this is true. I found myself becoming at least verbally violent and abusive in my relationships, even some friendships! I never hit, but I did throw things. I occasionally still do.

It's not something I'm proud of.... far from it. I was taught well. As were my abusers... they were taught by their abusers - usually their fathers on how to treat women as wives. With my 3rd husband, it was his mother that taught him how to abuse emotionally.

Today it's my responsibility to not pass on what was passed on to me.

• out of the box
    out of the box

aakack,

If you have lived apart for a year, you can go ahead and get the divorce. You do not need anyone's permission or witness to this fact, just do it. Irreconsilable differences may have to be noted, who cares, you will be financially free of this woman.

If you hesitate, or sit back and let 'her' call the shots, you are still being a victim. An abuser can turn normal and nice when it comes time to getting a divorce. Watch the personality switch back to b__ch once it is done. Stay separate from her and her ideas, and suggestions they are traps. Continue on your QUEST for FREEDOM. only YOU can make sure it happens!

Why are you worried about the elders' charges? Who cares if you are out of there? Something is not right if you are worried about that. You can't hold on to that cord to the JWs. It is not your road to freedom. The road to FREEDOM does not involve your wife nor the elders! It seems lonely to go it alone, but the only way. It is their brainwashing that has led you to think you won't have any life outside their grasp, but that is not true. As soon as you stand alone, you will have more than you had being with the JWs!!!

out of the box

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

ackack

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear such an awful story. Mine is very similar in a few ways. Im pleased things are at least better for you now.

PaulJ

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

awww go ahead and get the legal divorce. If it isn't a scriptural divorce that simply means she won't be able to marry someone else and have another person to abuse. Well unless you wind up in a relationship and they have some kind of "proof" that you have had sex. Keep her hanging. I kinda like that idea

You however will be free

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit