My story of abuse and disappointment.

by ackack 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• out of the box
    out of the box

ackack,

I am so sorry you lived through all that! I KNOW how abusive women can be. My mother was one! She was NOT a JW, but would get my dad drunk and then beat him up. I saw her hit him on the head with a frying pan!!! Never mind what she did to me.

The one thing is to LEARN how NOT to be a victim anymore. I went to Al-Anon for all the FREE advice and listened to others getting taken in by lies and what they went through. It really helped me stand up for myself! It is great (and free) de-progaming advice told at those meetings!

out of the box

• Sheri
    Sheri

Ackack,

Welcome! I hope that you will find this site helpful and a place to reflect and reach out. My brother has had three serious relationships all of which the women were the abusers, although not a JW he does struggle with asking WHY did I pick these women. Its good that you are searching for answers and seeking help from the right sources. I am sure that you are now on the right path.

Peace & Love,

Sheri

• ackack
    ackack

avishai, the website you linked to seems quite silly. rather arbitrary lines for what is abuse and what isn't. its entirely a myth that women don't abuse men. interesting article for later. Riding the Donkey Backwards: Men as the Unacceptable Victims of Marital Violence

however, personality disorders aren't fun. i'm sure they aren't fun if you have them, but certainly not much fun if you live with someone like this. the constant message of, "i hate you don't leave me". I recall once before a meeting she told me, "i shouldn't even bother going since my worship was in vain (by not staying behind to comfort her)"

my father told me to go back to that relationship because "shes going to all the meetings now". it seems so silly in retrospect, but so much emotional anguish at the time.

he believed my leaving was due to an "emotional disturbance", which i'm sure he'll also chalk up my leaving the organization to as well. funny, the ways we ignore, justify and minimize dissonant views to hang on to our failing belief structures.

he can't see why i wouldn't want to go back to that relationship. its interesting, both him and the elders told me to go back, and, if there was the slightest problem, to call the elders IMMEDIATELY. such an odd thing, to go back and have the fear of the elders coming over to keep her in line. i didn't want a relationship built on fear. the elders didn't really seem to see a problem with a relationship built upon fear. maybe a blind spot there?

• delilah
    delilah

Welcome Ackack.... I think there are many issues regarding abused men that need to be addressed once and for all. Too many men have suffered in silence, and made fools of, by women, and subsequently, by those in position to render help within the organization. My heart goes out to you, hopefully you can find peace and solice here.

Delilah

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

That could not have been easy to post so congratulations

Sadly spousal abuse of any kind is poorly handled by the elders. And society doesn't handle male vicims/survivors either. There are shelters for women in most cities now. But I have yet to hear about one where a man can go to get support and be safe.

Bravo for getting out. When stopping the abuse means leaving most of your life behind it becomes a difficult choice. But once we start thinking about ending it then we have to make the choice to leave.

Men don't ask to be abused. Just like women don't ask for it. YOU did not make her abuse you. That was her choice and she sounds very deliberate in her ways to hurt you.

You did the right thing regardless what family, elders or the cong thinks. You have the chance to really enjoy a bit of life and feel good about yourself

• Legolas
    Legolas

Thank you for sharing that with us

Welcome to the board

• delilah
    delilah

Ackack, I can't tell you what to do, but make sure she is getting professional help, BEFORE you entertain any ideas of going back. Chances are, the abuse will continue, and escalate....my brother's first wife was very much like this, only more mental abuse than physical. The elders sure don't know how to handle it when the men are the ones being abused. It's easy for them and for family members to say, "go back and fix your marriage", when they don't have to live your life. Good luck....take your time before you decide what you want to do.

Ciao, Delilah.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Ackack -

Welcome. That was a difficult post to make probably. thanx

It seems in almost all the various areas of abuse, the organization has no clue as to how to handle them. The paranoia that engulfs them even makes it unusual for them to ever recommend a professional. The combination of ill-preparedness and paranoia makes a deadly mix.

Look forward to your posts here.

Jeff

• Ingenuous
    Ingenuous

(((((ackack)))))

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Damn.

Welcome to the real world.

And congratulations for doing what you needed to do.

Borderline is a very real thing, as you well know. I have relatives who have had it, and feel that the percentage among jw's is higher than the general population.

Please..don't go back.

P

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit