Nun confronts Hanks over 'Da Vinci Code'

by William Penwell 39 Replies latest social current

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    We have some friends (also ex JW's) who thought the movie National Treasure just might have some truth behind it.

You're kidding Mulan! My 9 year old son saw this movie (and loved it) but even he knew it wasn't real.

I thought the "Da Vinci Code" was a fun read. It never presented itself as anything other than lightweight fiction that puts an interesting 'what if' spin on religious history. There's nothing wrong with light fiction, I got a big kick out of reading Harry Potter. But I never pretended to look for some higher truth in it.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

it's a much more entertaining read than the bible is, IF they were the last two books left on earth.

the juiciest parts of both books are fiction (AKA - the large part of them, respectively).

the upside, is that it's relatively innocent. regular folks are questioning their faith because of it these days. so, that's a good thing.

i think it's funny that bible students of whatever sect, will slam the da vinci code, and yet miss the complete irony that the book they are defending has NO supporting evidence, NONE whatsoever, to substantiate that it is non-fictional. it's like a thousand years from now, the da vinci code being added to the bible canon, and the a thousand years after that, nuns defending it even though there is still no evidence to back up it's claims.

it's like: huh?

TS

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Ive read lots of Salman Rushdie except the Satanic verses (no particular reason why).

He of course is a genius and a brilliant writer. Every sentence has layers and layers of meaning I hate to admit it because he is an arrogant sod.

But I still enjoyed the Da Vinci Code, it a rip roaring read, and the light weight critics say! (who would be silly enough to take it seriously?, it is clearly a fictional book)

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

KK,

i love reading the rushdie too. he builds up those layers within a work. by the end of a short story, for example, simple sentences (on their own) make my head spin (in context).

TS

• badboy
    badboy

iT APPEARS SOME PEOPLE CAN'T TELL FACT FROM FICTION.

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

Yeah, it's a novel. He's trying to sell books. Although I am pretty sure that he stole some of his ideas from Monty Python's Search for the Holy Grail, which we all know comes straight from the pencil of God. So parts of it must be true.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Tetra:

i think it's funny that bible students of whatever sect, will slam the da vinci code

~raises hand~
    Ermmm... I enjoyed it...

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

I loved it...I read it before Angels and Demons, and think it is the better of the two.

The best Dan Brown book though, in my opinion is Deception Point. A great thriller...nothing to do with the bible. Only Angels & Demons and the Da Vinci Code are based on religious beliefs/myths, etc...By the way, for a non catholic, I thought he did a good job explaining how the process of selecting a new pope is done in Angels & Demons.

Having read Angels& Demons, I found the scenes at the end of EuroTrip so much more funny than I would otherwise.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Thank you LT.

Im ashamed to admit ive just read my third Dan Brown book and I enjoyed em all

• Cognitive_Dissident
    Cognitive_Dissident

I haven't read the DVC, but I did enjoy Angels and Demons. I thought it was entertaining.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit