Ouija boards Do you feel they are real or not?Any personal experiences?

by Ticker 67 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I bought an old board off eBay and want to experiment with it, but everyone I know is afraid of them. My brother and I tried it once and he said he'll never touch it again.

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

It's horse pucky.

Just like kids who can see fleas at the fleas circus

or like those who imagine their prayers are answered.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Ticker:

When I was maybe a freshman or sophomore in high school, I became interested and got one because a girl in my high school was talking about it on the bus. I don't remember who bought it but we got one. I played with it with girlfriends asking the usual stupid questions like "what is the name of the man I am going to marry", etc. I also played with it with my sister when we were in the basement.

When I played with it with my sister in the basement the most creepy feelings came over both of us. The thing would just go off the board. And believe me neither of us was making it do that. I never wanted to use it again. Sometime after that it disappeared. My mother probably threw it out like she threw out other things she didn't like - such as some of my outfits!

I really do think it is supernatural and not to be messed with!

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

My best friend and I purchased one after I had left the G-Hoovers and moved to her house. We really didn't know much about it except that it was supposed to be baaaaaaaaaad!

Our first few rounds with it produced a story. We deduced this story from its answers to our questions.

The "spirit" that we supposedly contacted was named "Buck" and he was traveling with his fiancee and his friend to California. When they were traveling through Montana in their covered wagon, they stopped one night to camp. His fiancee was sleeping in the wagon, and Buck and his friend were outside sleeping by the fire. Apparently, Buck's friend heard the girl scream and ran to the wagon, and finding it empty, ran looking for her. She had gone in the night to use the restroom behind some rocks and was cornered by a puma. The friend found her, but didn't bring his weapon. They both began to scream, and Buck was awakened. He came fast with his gun, and fired at the puma. The bullet bounced off the rock and hit his fiancee and killed her. He succeeded in killing the cat, but buried his fiancee there on the mountain. He then went to California, and killed himself.

We then got a hold of some guy named "Sexy Rex" that was angry because he died a virgin. We asked him what kind of spirit he was and the planchette went to the E, then the V, then the I... and we both said "Oh no. That's it!" We threw that sucker away!

I don't know what it is... but I spose the idea that either of us could have been moving it is plausible since we were both looking at each other the whole time saying "You're moving it." "No, YOU'RE moving it!" hehehhe. I did attempt to move it in another direction from the one that it wanted to go, and it tugged the other way, so whether it was me or a spirit, I dunno. I wouldn't mess with it again. It gave me creepy feelings, and I didn't like it. All I know is: it wouldn't move unless BOTH of us had our hands on it, and then it told stories that couldn't be verified, and we both had creative imaginations. Who knows...

It did tell me I would get married in 1985, which I remember thinking back then in 1979 was a long way off and being somewhat disappointed! What JW girl doesn't want to get married when she's only 18? hehehe. Oh yeah, I did get married in 1985. I had to marry a lot of frogs to get to my handsome toad I have now!

CG

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo
    wouldn't want a ouija board. Just the name gives me the creeps.

From Randi's site, a summary of the board. Notice what the name means. Yes, yes, it sounds almost anticlimactic....

Ouija board Bearing a name said to be derived from the French and German words for “yes,” the Ouija board is simply a flat, smooth board bearing the letters of the alphabet, numbers, and often the words “Yes,” “No,” “Maybe,” and “Goodbye.” A hand-sized, heart-shaped device perched upon three short legs, each of which has a pad or wheel to enable the instrument to slide freely across the board, is known as the planchette. This is used as a pointer, the tapered end of the heart shape indicating letters on the board.

The Ouija board and heart-shaped planchette.

One or more operators sit around the board, each lightly resting fingers upon the top of the planchette. It is said that spirits or other entities cause the planchette to move about the board, spelling out messages and answers to questions posed by the operators. (This process is a form of “dactylomancy,” or divination by means of finger motions.)
    Actually, the movement is due to the ideomotor effect and this can be shown by the fact that when the operator is properly blindfolded, only gibberish is produced.
    The Ouija board was patented in 1892 by a Maryland novelty company.

Lots more interesting info can be found at the website: See also planchette.

http://www.randi.org/encyclopedia/

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I think all those that believe in the power of the Ouija board should take the million dollar challange. If one is so sure of its power it should be easy to win the money.

Will

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Ouija board Bearing a name said to be derived from the French and German words for “yes,”

I'm not sure if I'd trust a site that doesn't even know the origin of the name.

The inventor claimed that the board told him to name it Ouija, which he thought was the Egyptian word for luck (even though it's not).

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    The idiomotor effect suggests that the user is unconsciously moving the planchette, but does this mean that some other force is not causing them to move it?

I watched a thing where they performed a test. Two people were blindfolded while using the ouija board and it seemed to be working. Then they secretly turned the board upside down without the two people knowing. Their hands moved the pointer to where they *thought* the Yes/No/etc were. So it is pretty obvious that spirits aren't controlling it but it was a subconscious thing!

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

The spirits can't see the board if you're blindfolded.

• heathen
    heathen

I've never tried the ouija but I do believe there is something to it . Black magic is even mentioned in the bible so I don't think things like trying to communicate with the dead are good ideas and certainly not something I would encourage children to do . I do look at the world like there are evil spirits hanging around us all the time and there is simply no point in taking the chance of them taking a liking to me .LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit