A continuation of defd's discussion

by cruzanheart 57 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Okay, defd, I started a new topic so we won't continue to hijack Panic Attack's thread. The reason why I didn't answer you back is twofold: (1) I'm at work and they kind of expect me to do other things besides post on JWD; (2) my husband Chris (Big Tex) answered your question sufficiently for me so I didn't see a need to respond.

Nina i am curious as to why you didnt finish our discussion and respond to my answer? Could it be cause i was right?

was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses, and I am very pleased to be able to offer my children the respect to make their own decisions about what to believe

That may what you want to do and that is your choice. The BIBLE says other wise.We as Parents are supposed to spritually TRAIN, TEACH, GUIDE our children. Do you think Marry and Joseph used that approach? Just Let Jesus decide for himself? NO they did not. Timothy was RAISED from infancy. I can go on and on.

And no i am not angry because "are you angry at us for not bowing before the Great Watchtower Money-Making Machine and for daring to be happy outside of it," i am angry because of the topic. A parent doing that to a child.

Yes, I train, teach and guide my children. HOWEVER, every day at school they are on their own. When they leave school and get jobs, they will be on their own. We show them right from wrong and encourage them to make their own decisions as long as they don't hurt anyone by doing that. So far it's working pretty well. And no, my children aren't as you described:

Your kids are the ones my kids come up and tell that i heard them cursing or sticking up the middle finger or stealing other kids things......

I was at a carnival the other day and my youngest was on a ride with another kid whom we didnt know. Well, as this 6-7 yr old would come around, he would stick his finger up at the crowd.

Now thats parenting at its finest. I guess the parent of that kid had the same attitude of others who allow there children to do what they FEEL is right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The jury is still out on how they will turn out as adults. Right now they're 11 and 9 and I am very proud of both of them. They aren't perfect, but no one is. They are learning consequences of their actions. They are learning to THINK for themselves.

And as for your high and mighty attitude about how our children will turn out, let's take a look at some of the Witness kids: the boy I KNOW PERSONALLY who sexually assaulted a 4 year old, got caught (that wasn't his first offense, just the one he got caught at) and sent to juvenile detention for a year (he was 14), and was welcomed back into the same congregation as the prodigal son. Yeah, right, a TERRIFIC example of child-rearing there. But he's a Witness In Good Standing, so he must be okay around little kids, right? What about the kids leading a double life -- oh so good in front of their parents, but fornicating all over the place when no adult is around? Those kids, our peers when we were dating -- we didn't hang out with them because we thought they were bad association -- are now elders and elders' wives, raising another generation just like them.

I'm sure quite a few people here would be simply delighted to acquaint you with other stories of the wonderful Witness kids who were raised in the "mental-regulating of Jehovah."

Nina

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    my husband Chris (Big Tex) answered your question sufficiently for me so I didn't see a need to respond.

My wife. I think I'll keep her

Yep, got the little woman in proper subjection.

>runs for cover<

• defd
    defd

Cruzan

Exactlly. When they are old enough to decide for them selves it is out of our hands as parents. So we have to train them while they are young. SPIRITUALLY, as to what Jehovah God likes and Dislikes,.and how to be a true disciple of Jesus. I was upset because the parent SAID they were leaving it up to there 5yr old to decide what is right or wrong. Im sorry that is crazy. All I am saying is that it is the PARENTS obligation to train there children to love and OBEY Jehovah God and his son Jesus. Do you agree or disagree?

• defd
    defd

This is my last post for today i have reached my limit of posts. I had to tell you so no one "thinked" i ran away. I'll be back 2marrow.

I know I know, thanxs for the warning, right?

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Defd, there is a difference between training your kids to distinguish between right and wrong and brainwashing them into a destructive cult.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I think you're missing the point, defd. Now that I have questioned the entire Jehovah's Witness belief system -- NOT God, just what Jehovah's Witnesses teach about him/her/it -- part of the training we give our children is to allow them to decide things like whether or not to salute the flag, whether or not to take part in birthday celebrations or holiday celebrations. When we first left the Witnesses, we talked about how THEY felt about it, feeling that as part of the family their input was valuable. We took it slowly the first year. Jennie was comfortable with the flag salute; Jackson was not. Jennie leaped into holiday celebrations but opted out of celebrating her birthday that year. Jackson was kind of skeptical about Halloween until he realized that candy -- and lots of it -- was involved.

I think that's what Panic Attack is doing -- letting their child decide whether to take part in what was previously forbidden if they're comfortable doing it. Everybody who exits has to do so at their own speed and in their own way.

So you don't raise your kids that way. Good for you. I hope they will turn out to be good people, and happy too. I was happy as a Witness when I thought that was the right thing to do. When it stopped being the right thing to do, I wasn't happy.

And please remember the old adage: "You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar." Your fire-and-brimstone lectures are not effective, just amusing.

Nina

• jgnat
    jgnat

Yes, that should give defd twenty-four hours to look up what "mental regulating" means. I look forward to an explanation on that one.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

When applied to JW mind control mental regulating is like regular bowel movements, same ambience.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    Defd, there is a difference between training your kids to distinguish between right and wrong and brainwashing them into a destructive cult.

This is why they have adults unable to distinguish between right and wrong, and end up running to the elders for advice on every little thing. W

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Yes, that should give defd twenty-four hours to look up what "mental regulating" means. I look forward to an explanation on that one

I'd like to hear what 'happyifying' means. Can't find that one in a dictionary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit