Your thoughts about Wal-mart

by desbah 64 Replies latest jw friends

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I thought the real issues with Walmart are that they use sweat shop labour to keep their prices low, they put huge financial pressure on their suppliers, and that they treat their employees like 19th century employees in terms of workers rights.

NOT that their aisles were crowded or their meat substandard or their patrons were american trailer park trash meets british council house rubbish.

I thought there were moral reasons to blacklist Walmart.

BTW they have bought the Asda supermarket chain in England, and there is a huge Walmart in Bristol.

• doodle-v
    doodle-v
    Yep. One in Lynnwood, just off I-5. SuperWal-Mart in Marysville...just off I-5. Also one in Chehalis about 100 miles south of Seattle also on I-5.

Those are the only ones I know about. I happily avoid all of them.

Ditto I avoid Wal-mart like the plague.

Trader Joes and Farmer's Market for me, thank you.

-Doodle-V

• eyegirl
    eyegirl

sorry, but i like Walmart...........target is ok, but they just don't have everything there.

plus, when your car battery dies at midnight and you're 100 miles from home, would you rather be close to a Target or Walmart?

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

I want to hate Wal-Mart for their reportedly unfair labor practices. I want to loathe them for the way they've moved into communities and destroyed the small-town business districts. I want to indignantly rail against the price of capitalism to our collective spirit and call for a return to the times when corporate american and the 'man' weren't so good at keeping us all dependent on them. I want to.

But I can't, because I LOVE Wal-Mart. I never get out of there without spending a minimum of fifty bucks on something, and now with the advent of the Wal-Mart Super Center, I can get pretty much anything we regularly (or not so regularly) need. Sue me.

Although I try to avoid it on Saturdays, where it suddenly turns into something akin to a third world open air market--unless of course I just want to spend the day among what my husband calls 'the great unwashed'.

• I quit!
    I quit!

Wal-mart's mentality sees a little cult like to me. They have pep rallies in the morning where they chant slogans. I guess this is cheaper way to get the employees to smile than good wages.

As for Trader Joes, where else can you buy health food and booze. What a concept! It was originally a liquor store. Joe had an employee who was into health food and suggested to him that they start carrying it at Trader Joes. Joe must have had an open mind because he said ok. I believe the first product they started carrying was Alta Dena Raw milk.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I cannot stand Wal-Mart. But I shop there out of necessity as we're on a tight budget. Whenever I can afford to make the choice, I'll choose Target.

• bebu
    bebu

When I first found a Walmart back when we lived in Kentucky, I was fascinated by the huge variety of items you could find; the crafts and sewing section was wonderful. I was sad that there wasn't one where we were going to be moving.

Now we live near one, and it just seems kitschy now, but we go there to buy general stuff. I prefer to go at night because I hate the crowds. Here it isn't a smelly or grimey place, and the staff really are pleasant to everyone. There's no Target close by.

bebu

• talesin
    talesin
    to the people of Jonquiere, Quebec.

foreword, did you see the CBC documentary on the union vote out west? Disgusting!

I've boycotted Walmart since 'day one'. It's a personal choice, and I think no less of others who choose to shop there, but I would rather not support any of these stores. That includes Zellers, Kmart et al. I only give my money to corporations when there is no other choice (eg, the phone company, and my ISP).

tal

of the *buy local, think global* class

• scotsman
    scotsman

of the *buy local, think global* class

Me too Tal.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

WL-martisation of America is a real problem, in my neighborhood we are fighting a WLmart projected site because we know the damage that it does to local mom and pop stores that have a life-line on local economics.

It (WLmart) sets new lower standards for working America wages. The list goes on.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit