Love is NOT a Human Need

by logansrun 61 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

One of the most difficult things for ex-Jehovah's Witnesses (heretofore referred to as ex-JWs) to deal with is the loss of friends and family -- "loved ones." Rejection hurts, and the pain seems to be very intense for some. Ex-JWs seem validated to feel so awful since most humans naturally believe that love is a human need. The loss of loved ones, it naturally follows, would seem to be an utterly traumatic, "awful" experience. But, does losing loved ones really need to be so terrible?

No, it doesn't. One of the reasons for this is that love, contrary to popular belief, is not a human need. It's a human want, but not a need. Humans have an innate biological tendency to have a strong desire for love, but no adult need ever died from a lack of it. Human needs are actually very minimal: air, water, a certain amount of food and general safety and security. That's it. That's all that is required to live.

But humans foolishly believe that they need more than that. They believe they need love, approval, affection, success, to be outstanding, etc. NONE OF THESE THINGS ARE HUMAN NEEDS! There have been plenty of people throughout history who have never had strong relationships with anyone. An extreme example are some hermits, monks and nuns. They go for years, some of them, without even really talking to anyone, let alone feeling and expressing "love" to individuals. (Though they may do this in their meditation and spiritual practice) And there have been people who have led happy lives without ever getting married, starting a family, being part of a group or even having a number of very close friends.

Not only do humans foolishly thing that they need love in general, but they erroneously believe they need love from specific individuals, notably their family. This is especially prevelant amont ex-JWs. Humans quite naturally think that because person X is my mother, brother, child or cousin he or she "must" love me and I cannot live happily at all without this love. But this is a great myth. Just because we naturally think this way does not mean that it is a true fact of the universe, nor does it mean we cannot develop a "second nature" which can correct our "first nature." Really, all a relative is is a person with more genetic similarity to us than the average human, nothing more -- that is, nothing more unless we make it something more, and this we don't have to do.

The noted psychologist George Kelly pioneered what he called the "psychology of personal constructs." Writing in the 1950's he was a little ahead of his time. The cognitive revolution in psychology since then has largely confirmed that human thinking is largely constructivist -- that is, we construct our own realities. Believe that you must have love and approval from others and you will be extremely depressed and frustrated when you don't get it. Many ancient philosophies endorsed, in crude form, this constructivist model. "As you think, so shall you be" as the Bible even says. Epictetus, Marcus Aurelius and the Buddha had a similar understanding.

"But" you may retort, "don't babies die from a lack of love?" Yes -- some do, but not all. Some babies are less hardy than others and seem to need quite a bit of compassionate fondling and "love." But only some. We certainly cannot expect babies and small children to think philosophically and logically about life. And, of course I have to ask: Are you a baby? Do you shit in your pants and say "goo goo, ga ga"? Probably not. You are an ADULT, and love is not an adult human need.

"But" you may further respond, "isn't life better when we have love? Won't I feel naturally happier and healthier with love?" Yes! But that still doesn't prove that love is a human need. Everyone seems to function better when they have approval and love, just as they function better, usually, when they have wealth instead of poverty. You will be happier when you have love, but you still can be happy without it. Just think of all the delights there are in life that do not entail having love: good food, intellectual pleasure, masturbation, exercise, creative expression, work...the list is almost endless. And, of course, if you don't have the love and approval of your relatives -- as most ex-JWs do not -- that still does not prevent you from developing relationships with other people, people that will indeed love and approve of you. (Although this is still not necessary!)

When we look at life with a deep realization that we largely create our own happiness we can better accept the fact that our former friends and JW relatives may not love us and that this does not have to be the end of the world. It's tough work to actually feel this way, but the payoff is well worth the effort. Develop an inner, self-directed core of contentment with lifes necessities and view everything else as gravy.

With only the slightest bit of love,

B.

• rebel8
    rebel8

True. Physical needs are shelter, warmth, air, food, and water.

If we are going to reach our true psychological potential, we need love to do that. I think the mistake a lot of us make is believing that love must come from our relatives, when we can be just as fulfilled if it comes from non-relatives. Just because relatives do not feel love towards us or behave lovingly, it does not make us unlovable. At least that's true for me.

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Logansrun,

You are correct that Love is not a human need, but it is part of who we are. What kind of life would we have, if we didn't have love, approval etc. Very bland, dull and boring.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    True. Physical needs are shelter, warmth, air, food, and water.

If we are going to reach our true psychological potential, we need love to do that.

Rebel, you bring up a good point. We are evolved creatures that are heads and shoulders above just the typical animal. THEY have physical needs and typically that's sufficient for them to live to their potention. But human needs are different. We have a physical, mental and emotional potential. What about true emotional potential? I find some people that are very psychologically intelligent are rather emotionally immature. Perhaps love or allowing themselves to be loved would help them grow?

Just thinking out loud here.

Andi

• logansrun
    logansrun
    true psychological potential,

Who really knows what this is? You have to admit, it's a rather fuzzy concept. I agree that it seems that it would be easier to be a functioning person with some love and approval from others -- but some humans have done remarkably well in very dire circumstances.

B.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Truthseeker,

You are correct that Love is not a human need, but it is part of who we are. What kind of life would we have, if we didn't have love, approval etc. Very bland, dull and boring.

Perhaps you need to re-read this paragraph:

"But" you may further respond, "isn't life better when we have love? Won't I feel naturally happier and healthier with love?" Yes! But that still doesn't prove that love is a human need. Everyone seems to function better when they have approval and love, just as they function better, usually, when they have wealth instead of poverty. You will be happier when you have love, but you still can be happy without it. Just think of all the delights there are in life that do not entail having love: good food, intellectual pleasure, masturbation, exercise, creative expression, work...the list is almost endless. And, of course, if you don't have the love and approval of your relatives -- as most ex-JWs do not -- that still does not prevent you from developing relationships with other people, people that will indeed love and approve of you. (Although this is still not necessary!)

Billygoat,

But emotional "needs" are really better called "emotional desires" or "emotional betterments." Victor Frankl was a Jewish doctor in Auschwitz who lived in an enviornment in the most undesireable enviornment imaginable, and yet still found meaning in his life. And, isn't a strong sense of meaning the greatest emotional fulfillment we can possibly have?

I know you think I'm a cold, logical Dr. Spock or something. If you knew me you would know this isn't really the case. I'm a romantic at heart. But I also have come to learn -- quite painfully! -- that real contentment is inner thought-directed. No one purely feels or thinks seperately. It's done at the same time. Yet, higher ordered thinking is a human function which is more evolved than our more or less "feeling" parts of our brains. That said, our thinking can overcome our feeling -- which can be a great thing or can lead to heinous monstrosities (think Hitler).

B.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Bradley,

Do you believe that people all have the same needs? Is it possible that what one person needs is not what another needs?

Just asking.
    Andi

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

However humans do need to feel accepted. People have died from not feeling this.

Or do you find Maslow full of crap?

• roybatty
    roybatty
    "But" you may further respond, "isn't life better when we have love? Won't I feel naturally happier and healthier with love?" Yes! But that still doesn't prove that love is a human need. Everyone seems to function better when they have approval and love, just as they function better, usually, when they have wealth instead of poverty.

I guess one would have to define "need" and "live". I don't need clean air or fresh water or healthy food to live but it sure helps me to live longer with those things. I suppose someone could live their life without being loved or loving someone but would it be a healthy, long life?

It has also been shown that people who are seriously ill stand a much better chance of recovery if they have a strong support system (i.e. loving family and friends). IMO there is a connection being feeling loved and ones physical and mental health. Because of this, JWs don't realize the damage they are doing when they turn their backs on their df'd family. Just like physical pain, differnt people have differnt tolerance levels. Looking around the board, some have waved good-bye to their family and moved on, others are still having a hard time with it. Whatever the case may be, it's a cruel thing that JW's practice.

Like Sir Paul said....

"And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make"

• doogie
    doogie

"what is a duvet?"

"it's, like...a comforter type of..."

"it's a blanket. just a blanket. now, why do guys like you and me know what a duvet is? is this essential to our survival in the 'hunter/gatherer' sense of the word? no. so what does that make us?"

"consumers?""right!"

i submit that duvets are also not a human need.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit