Love is NOT a Human Need

by logansrun 61 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

LOL...why the "bttt" jgnat? Did you find this thread soooo interesting?

For what it's worth, I still don't classify love as a human "need." It's a desire -- a very strong desire. I would only use qualifiers in considering love a human need: If you want to function optimally or "normally" then it seems quite likely that you will need to experience love.

Again, the baby argument came up after I pretty well illustrated that it's a poor one. Adults are not babies! Babies have a lot more needs than adults, or even toddlers.

I especially will dogmatically assert that you don't need any particular person or groups approval or love -- even family.

B.

• doogie
    doogie

you didn't answer my questions about your age...

• logansrun
    logansrun

doogie,

I changed my age, location and took down my picture a while ago out of a rather obsessive train of thought related to my sister being at Gilead. The "what if's" started to mount: "What if one of her Gilead instructors was able to make a connection between me and her...I'd probably end up getting DFd." Yeah. Silly. I've since realized this thinking is preposterous and have resumed putting up my real age and location on the net. I'm still working at getting that naked picture of me up for my avatar.

B.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I'm still working at getting that naked picture of me up for my avatar.

*tapping foot impatiently*

We're waaaaiiittting....

Andi

• jgnat
    jgnat

Why the BTTT, logansrun? Because I would like to see you run one idea through to the end before you start another.

You tend to start out with declarative statements, then retreat to a modified stance later. This does not lead to intelligent or defensible debate.

I won't let you off the hook with this one.

• jgnat
    jgnat

:For what it's worth, I still don't classify love as a human "need." It's a desire -- a very strong desire.

Then let’s work on your definition a bit. Is a need anything a human must have or die? Is that a long death or a slow death? How short must the death be to be considered a need? If we are talking 72 hours here, humans only need water and air. Everything else is debatable.

:I would only use qualifiers in considering love a human need: If

you want to function optimally or "normally" then it seems quite likely that you will need to experience love.

Though it seems unlikely that you will admit it, a definition of need that encompasses the ideal, then love does become necessary.

Perhaps for a young man like yourself, you are particularly interested in receiving romantic love of some sort, or perhaps acknowledgement from family. As us oldies have discovered before you, those sources are not guaranteed.

There are other avenues for love that ultimately may be more satisfying. Giving love is also highly rewarding, whether it is in friendship, as a parent, or a senior doting over a canary.

:But" you may retort, "don't babies die from a lack of love?" Yes -- some do, but not all. Some babies are less hardy than others and seem to need quite a bit of compassionate fondling and "love." But only some. We certainly cannot expect babies and small children to think philosophically and logically about life.

:Again, the baby argument came up after I pretty well illustrated that it's a poor one. Adults are not babies! Babies have a lot more needs than adults, or even toddlers.

Let’s not forget, Logansrun, that you brought up babies to begin with. Babies are not blobs of amorphous Jello. A very sophisticated development is happening in the early years. A baby without social interaction may never say goo goo gaa gaa, let alone grow up to have an intelligible thought. It is true that babies can not rationalize away a deficiency in their environment as adults can. Like the need for love. But I would argue that this rationalization does no good for the adult.

I also brought up the examples of homeless people and seniors benefiting from social interaction / acts of love. Care to address those as well?

:I especially will dogmatically assert that you don't need any particular

person or groups approval or love -- even family.

Well, that is a far cry from your thread heading. And this is another kettle of fish altogether. Now, many species of fish abandon their young soon after birth. But even fingerlings find security in numbers. Schooling assists with survival. In the whole, the fishies in the centre have a higher chance of survival.

Other herding animals show similar insecurity when alone. Here’s a commentary on Monty Robert’s book, the Horse Whisperer:

“Horses, either in the wild or tame, are very social creatures with extremely strong herd instincts. Their only means for survival is to stay close together so that every horse can be warned of the slightest impending danger. If they must fight back a predator, their strength is found in numbers. ...The worst form of punishment that the mare can use on an unruly horse, is to send it out away from the herd. All horses instinctively know that, if they are separated from the herd, their lives are in grave danger. This form of punishment is very effective and horses will quickly accept who the leader is.”

http://www.waldau.com/monty_roberts.html

I think I can argue effectively that human beings, similarly, are social creatures. Though it is true that love may not be attainable from those we expect it from (family, formal social structures), and that we can replace those sources of affection given initiative and time, the very act of rejection is devastating nevertheless.

And finally, several times in your narrative you have used Victor Frankl as an example of a human being stripped to the basic essentials. Interestingly enough, he saw love as being one of those core qualities that keeps us human even in the most brutal environment.

The salvation of man is through love and in love. I understood how a man who has nothing left in this world still may know bliss, be it only for a brief moment, in the contemplation of his beloved. (1963, p. 59)”

http://www.ship.edu/~cgboeree/frankl.html

• chrissy
    chrissy

I'm glad jgnat brought this thread back. I somehow missed it on the first go round.

Hi logansrun. wait, bradley, is that your name? hi brad. Hold it right there.

The Beatles said "all we need is love, yeah it's all we really need." Need, not want bradley. Are you honestly trying to say that the Beatles were wrong? Are you really implying that you know more than the likes of John Lennon?

• logansrun
    logansrun

jgnat,

Then let’s work on your definition a bit. Is a need anything a human must have or die? Is that a long death or a slow death? How short must the death be to be considered a need? If we are talking 72 hours here, humans only need water and air. Everything else is debatable.

That's a very good point; my definition of "need" could be even more specific. I would define "need" as anything a being must have over the course of a lifetime to stay alive. Water, air, food, etc thus would all be human needs, not wants.

:I would only use qualifiers in considering love a human need: If

you want to function optimally or "normally" then it seems quite likely that you will need to experience love.

Though it seems unlikely that you will admit it, a definition of need that encompasses the ideal, then love does become necessary.

Yes, but that is far from making a blanket statement that all humans need love to function at all. I also don't like the term "ideal" because it's too vague; ideal at what? Nevertheless, I understand your position and generally agree with it.

Perhaps for a young man like yourself, you are particularly interested in receiving romantic love of some sort, or perhaps acknowledgement from family. As us oldies have discovered before you, those sources are not guaranteed.

As I said in my post.

There are other avenues for love that ultimately may be more satisfying. Giving love is also highly rewarding, whether it is in friendship, as a parent, or a senior doting over a canary.

Right. No argument from me.

:But" you may retort, "don't babies die from a lack of love?" Yes -- some do, but not all. Some babies are less hardy than others and seem to need quite a bit of compassionate fondling and "love." But only some. We certainly cannot expect babies and small children to think philosophically and logically about life.

:Again, the baby argument came up after I pretty well illustrated that it's a poor one. Adults are not babies! Babies have a lot more needs than adults, or even toddlers.

Let’s not forget, Logansrun, that you brought up babies to begin with. Babies are not blobs of amorphous Jello. A very sophisticated development is happening in the early years. A baby without social interaction may never say goo goo gaa gaa, let alone grow up to have an intelligible thought. It is true that babies can not rationalize away a deficiency in their environment as adults can. Like the need for love. But I would argue that this rationalization does no good for the adult.

Yeah, I brought up the baby argument, showed how extrapolating to adult needs from baby needs was not good and what do people do? Start talking about babies again!

I also brought up the examples of homeless people and seniors benefiting from social interaction / acts of love. Care to address those as well?

You seem to be misunderstanding me. Nowhere did I say that humans don't benefit form social interaction and love. I simply stated they are not completely necessary for survival or even minimal enjoyment.

:I especially will dogmatically assert that you don't need any particular

person or groups approval or love -- even family.

Well, that is a far cry from your thread heading. And this is another kettle of fish altogether. Now, many species of fish abandon their young soon after birth. But even fingerlings find security in numbers. Schooling assists with survival. In the whole, the fishies in the centre have a higher chance of survival.

Other herding animals show similar insecurity when alone. Here’s a commentary on Monty Robert’s book, the Horse Whisperer:

“Horses, either in the wild or tame, are very social creatures with extremely strong herd instincts. Their only means for survival is to stay close together so that every horse can be warned of the slightest impending danger. If they must fight back a predator, their strength is found in numbers. ...The worst form of punishment that the mare can use on an unruly horse, is to send it out away from the herd. All horses instinctively know that, if they are separated from the herd, their lives are in grave danger. This form of punishment is very effective and horses will quickly accept who the leader is.”

http://www.waldau.com/monty_roberts.html

I think I can argue effectively that human beings, similarly, are social creatures. Though it is true that love may not be attainable from those we expect it from (family, formal social structures), and that we can replace those sources of affection given initiative and time, the very act of rejection is devastating nevertheless.

I agree that humans are social creatures and finding and giving "love" is deeply hardwired in us. But I don't consider it an absolute necessity since we have other highly evolved capacities, in particular the capacity to think about our thinking and philosophize. This is due to our highly evolved cererbral cortex. Although comparision with fish and horses is helpful, you still cannot extrapolate from them to humans.

Also, I'd like to point out that there really is no such thing as a devastating act, apart from actual physical violence. The act of rejection is actually neutral; only our belief system about the rejection can make it "devastating." We are constructivist thinkers as Kelly, Ellis, Beck, Bandura, Seligman and many others have pointed out. No one has to view rejection as devastating, although I would recommend they can view it negatively since that will likely prompt them to take action to get other people, or perhaps the rejecting party, to approve of them (thought this is far from necessary).

As for Frankl, well, he said a lot of poetic things. I wouldn't take his statement about love being "salvation" as literal.

B.

• jgnat
    jgnat

OK, I can go along with your dislike of the word “Ideal”. Let’s replace it with “optimum” then. Does a human strive to reduce his requirements for survival to minimize pain, or does he work at building an optimum life, even if it involves effort and pain? It seems also, that you have confidence that evolved human beings can avoid pain altogether by convincing ourselves it doesn’t really hurt.

: I would define "need" as anything a being must have over the course of a lifetime to stay alive. Water, air, food, etc thus would all be human needs, not wants.

I asked about your definition of need, whether the optimum life extends past 72 hours. I see you have extended need to include a “lifetime”. Is longevity included in your view of needs? Your list of minimalist requirements result in shortened lifetimes.

The United Nations has been developing indicators of human development to track the world’s progress. Their approach is optimum rather than minimalist. From their site,

The basic purpose of development is to enlarge people's choices. In principle, these choices can be infinite and can change over time. People often value achievements that do not show up at all, or not immediately, in income or growth figures: greater access to knowledge, better nutrition and health services, more secure livelihoods, security against crime and physical violence, satisfying leisure hours, political and cultural freedoms and sense of participation in community activities. The objective of development is to create an enabling environment for people to enjoy long, healthy and creative lives."

Mahbub ul Haq

http://hdr.undp.org/statistics/data/

Do you see how your minimalist approach would lead to a deprived and shortened life?

:far from making a blanket statement that all humans need love to function at all

I haven’t said that, I am pretty sure. I am refuting your statement that love is not a human need. All I have to argue is that love is a human need by broadening the definition of need. I maintain a need is more than the minimum. Humans need to reach for the optimum because the alternative is a devastating loss of potential, a wasted life.

:extrapolating to adult needs from baby needs was not good

You said this but didn’t prove it. All you stated is that babies goo instead of talk. Does that necessarily mean that their development is insignificant, or that their needs don’t speak to the hard-wired needs embedded in all of us?

:benefit form social interaction and love. I simply stated they are not completely necessary for survival or even minimal enjoyment.

According to your personal view of minimalist requirements as needs that may be true. But I maintain the minimalist approach is wrong. Human needs are broader if our goal is an optimum life. Lack of love shortens human life.

:don't consider it an absolute necessity since we have other highly evolved capacities, in particular the capacity to think about our thinking and philosophize.

My instinct is telling me this is a dead end. But I’ll have to think harder as to why. From my own experience, my thinking alone gets me in to trouble. My mind can justify a cruelty or lead me to bad judgement. That marvellously complex brain that can be so useful at time can also deceive itself in to a cognitive dissonance loop.

I am much better off when I translate my thinking in to acts of creation. I can then observe the result, confirming whether my approach is effective or not. Observation cures me of my own folly.

So again, a mind alone can consider itself perfect, until it has to interact with another mind. The resulting conflict if handled well, can result in a meeting of minds. There’s that social interaction and connection again, creating more optimum experience.

:...still cannot extrapolate from [Fish and horses] to humans.

From fish to horses is a huge evolutionary leap. Fins are dropped and cud and hoof are built. It’s not nearly as much a leap from horses to gibbons and monkeys. And as I am sure you will agree, it is a tiny jump from primate to human. There’s not a single primate that lives alone as the snail. I’d say it’s a safe bet that we are included in the animal group that requires social interaction to survive.

:The act of rejection is actually neutral

I imagine this would be true if we were minds alone. Like that Star Trek episode where the tubed brains sit nourished under glass. But we’re not. Rejection is decidedly physical, as it includes the deprivation of touch and eye contact and all kinds of subtle visual cues that tells the victim they are no longer welcome.

:Frankl, well, he said a lot of poetic things

Ad Hominem. Don’t use him to support his argument then turn around and dump him when it doesn’t suit. The whole point of Frankl’s lessons in the prison camp is that people rise above minimum requirements. The people who survived and thrived lived to higher ideals, a dream, a goal, something that transcended the reality. An optimum life, if you will, of love and little kindnesses. And I would disagree with the “poetic” assessment of Frankl. I am sure he chose his words well.

I don’t think you will find happiness, simplicity, or uncomplication logansrun, from trimming your life to the minimum. I suspect rather that we as human beings are our best when we reach for optimum experience. If there’s a relationship worth salvaging, do it. Plant seeds in the spring.

• Terry
    Terry

Jgnat, I'm impressed! I like the way you think.

Terry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit