ITHINKISEE Update 8/11/2005: More w/ wife & some questions. . .

by ithinkisee 48 Replies latest members private

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Listener:

but I can't remember if you and your wife have actually looked at the scriptures used by the society to show 537 +70 years equals 607. Have you read Jeremiah, 2 chronicles, and the others? Show her how the 70 years affects all the nations in the area not just judah; show her that the 70 years ends with Babylon's destruction, not 2 years later with the arrival of the refugees. Show her the footnote in the Isaiah book that talks about different nations coming under babylon at different points during the 70 years; and how that the 70 years evidently means the length of babylon's reign (or something like that).

You know ... I haven't. Sometimes I start to think how I can do that .... but then others on JWD start talking about the scriptures in several different ways, and I get all confused.

Do you have a good suggestion on how to walk through those scriptures with her? I have tried to come up with a way ... but am having a hard time.

Any help is appreciated.

-ithinkisee

• vitty
    vitty

Why dont you choose a easier topic LOL

I could never explain 607 when I was in and I couldnt now im out, Id go for something simple.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Vitty,

My wife is interested in this ... she is researching it.... it is causing her to think.

-ithinkisee

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

SteveNYC:
    Regarding your post here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/9/96376/1646939/post.ashx#1646939

It would seem that others are reading these threads as well, because they CHANGED the JW stuff and put Furuli's sh*t in there.

-ithinkisee

• stevenyc
    stevenyc

itis: It would seem that others are reading these threads as well, because they CHANGED the JW stuff and put Furuli's sh*t in there

the truth hurts!

steve

I'll leave it a couple of days and put it back!

• stevenyc
  • ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

and I am continuing to learn all this stuff.

Even now ... I was trying to make the point that the 70 years applies to another time period.

But ... I have now realized I don't have to beat myself up that much.

The answer is .... NOBODY KNOWS & THE BIBLE DOES NOT SAY EXPLICITLY THAT THE 70 YEARS STARTS OR STOPS DEFINITVELY ANYWHERE.

Am I right? Huh? Huh?

-ithinkisee

• garybuss
    garybuss

ithinkisee, Have you reduced the topic by listing ALL the assumptions involved in the Watch Tower's chronology (read numerology) thesis? There must be at least 100 assumptions involved. Maybe you can get a conversation going about one or more of the assumptions. This is the stuff wake up's are made of.
    Don Cameron's book, Captives of a Concept, outlines many of the assumptions needed to apply the numerology to the appointment of the Society as "the channel". I'd use Don's book to help me stay objective and ahead of the Witness circular avoidance strategy. Don shows how to avoid trigger words like "prophet" and instead, use "teacher".
    You probably already have all this figured out. Hope it goes well.

• TheListener
    TheListener

ok Ithink. I hope you see this before Monday morning.

I have the entire babylong great book in microsoft word format from the 1999 wtcdrom. I'll email it to you. The only problem I see is that it's in word and not from the wtcd directly on your computer or scanned pages of a book. If it isn't enough, hell, I'll send you my 1999 cd rom.

I don't have time to talk about how to discuss the scriptures but I did it in my own case and pretty much won the argument. Of course, by winning I got my %&SS chewed because that's what happens when the believers conscience beats up the believer for not believing something (huh?). Anyway, I'll try to write something later this weekend or probably monday.

I'll email the files as soon as I get a chance.

Good Luck.

oh and one quick thought. I haven't read everyone's postings since Friday afternoon but, maybe show her how many other people including the society say evil ruled for 2 years (??) and that perhaps Josephus was mistaken or also trying to fit the 70 years. You could maybe say that's why the society may have made the mistake, because josephus did. I don't know, I'll think some more about this and give a better answer later.

Remember, in the end the important thing isn't her conceding a particular point, it's that she realizes that the society can be wrong on important issues. That, given enough issues, and over time, will weaken her faith to allow her to start slowly thinking without the fear of being condemned. Your love and support will go a long way in this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit