WTF!!!!???????

by Valis 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

Outside of hiring a lawyer, here's what I would do first:

1. If you can prove what you just said by eye-witnesses, write up an affidavit and have them signed by witnesses and notarized.

2. Find out who Todd's supervisor is (get the name). Write the officer a letter, acknowledging your phone conversation and then reiterate the facts and attach the affidavits. If you get the info on the other person, include that. Be sure to cc his supervisor - it will make him think about doing things correctly. It will also show him that you've been doing some investigation on your own.

3. Find out what your rights are for mistaken identidy.... I believe they have the burden of proof.

D.E.

• Valis
    Valis

Thanks much to all of you who have posted here and PM'd me. I will update when I get more info. The thing that bothers me the most is I have never had a moving violation in my entire driving history. That isn't to say I haven't done some other stupid things LOL but goddamit I have always been a good driver. Have a good evening and thank you very much.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer "Gearing UP For A Fight" class

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    How do you know it was a police officer that called? Five years ago and only NOW they are calling you?

I agree. You may have been taken by a phishing scam to get your DL information.

What was the fax number you send the copy to? Do a reverse lookup and I bet it will be something like a Kinko's or Office Max.

If it turns out it was a phishing scam, you better call the DMV asap.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Yeah that was my first thought as well (phishing that is). Well that and the fact that it's been 5 years leads me to think that you're the victim of some type of scam. Now the officer doesn't know, or care, about anything like that. He's just following the rules.

I'd say get a lawyer. You need someone on your side that knows the ins and outs of the legal system. Either that or don't go to Louisiana again.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Either that or don't go to Louisiana again.

lol... first things first. Verify that this person who called you is in fact a cop working for a police department.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Whooo boey!!

The state of LA has no authority over your Texas DL. The state of LA would have to petition TX to supsend your DL....then TX would send a letter to you saying you have X days to respond. The state of LA can suspend your driving priveleges WITHIN their state but cannot take your license.

Why would they call (Officer Toad) you first to tell you? They just send it in the mail. Also...the officer turns it over to the clerk of superior/district court. The officer has no authority either. The clerk of court would send you this not the officer.

Sounds like a scam!!!

• hubert
    hubert

Maybe this is a new program for "unsolved crimes" ????

Hubert

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

Evil Force is right, the state of Louisiana has no authority over your Texas license. However, Texas and all its neighbors have an agreement. If you have a ticket that you don't pay in their state, Texas will revoke your license.

The following is from the DPS's web site:

The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) may revoke a person's license if the person has not complied with the terms of a traffic citation received in another state. Texas Transportation Code 521.294 , 37 Texas Administrative Code 15.82.

Reinstatement requirements

reinstatement fee will be required prior to the renewal/issuance of a driver license .

In 2001, while living in Amarillo, I got a speeding ticket in Guymon, OK. Two weeks after that I got laid off. Three weeks after that my mother-in-law had a stroke. I forgot all about this ticket. Six months later, I get a letter from Austin telling me my license had been revoked. Apparently, all the other location has to do is prove that you had the ticket and it was not paid. In my case, I never received any letter telling me that if I didn't pay it, my license would be revoked.

However, I would be weary that this isn't some kind of scam. One easy way would be to check your driving record, you can do so on the DPS website. If the ticket shows up, there may be something to this.

Good luck,
    CountryGuy

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I'm a notary if you need one, and if you need affidavits done I can put a good one together for you.

Nina

• Honesty
    Honesty

It's a hoax or a scam. I had a couple of run-ins (permits and licenses affiliated with my business0 with Louisiana 20+ years ago when I lived in Florida and had to drive through their hokey state on the way to California 4-5 times a year. They never call you. They send letters and threaten all kinds of crap if you don't respond. I have been stopped for speeding in Monroe, Loisiana and they made me post bond on the spot at the Parish Jail before I could go any further and that was before I had any permit run-ins with them. The State Police on I-10 always let me go with a verbal warning to slow down. Someone is phishing for your ID so they can do whatever (maybe a DF'd JW who wants to get re-instated by using your good name?).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit