Have you ever got up in the middle of a meeting, bored, and just left?

by JH 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Dune
    Dune

I was like 8 or 9. And we were taken to the hall cause this elder convinced our nanny to try going to the meeting. Halfway through the meeting she asked us if we wanted to stay and we said no. So she took us out and we stayed at a church for the next hour and a half.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

the last few years I was in, during lunch at the assembly, "o.k. time to go home."

• Dune
    Dune

O yeah, next DC, My brother and I are going to skip out during the lunch and go site seeing :-d

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

I remember one time, I went to the Sumnday morning meeting and left after the talk, I was going to a Buffalo Bills AFC Championship game, man the flack I took for that, oh well who cares, Thought it was funny how some elders said, "did you have a good time, that must of been awesome."

oh well, such a difference.

• Soledad
    Soledad

not during meetings but during assemblies. too long and way too boring! of course some gatekeeper would start to question me but I would just give them an evil look and keep walking to my car!

I had a tendency to disappear during field service too.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

the last year i used to go half way through all the time, it gave the elders less opportunity to hassle me, then one night the po asked why i bothered coming at all. i said i couldn't think of a reason, and left before the meeting started, and never went again, best favour he ever did for me

• blondie
    blondie
    Often, the brothers would say after the first meeting, we invite you to stay for the second meeting..bla bla bla....but what the heck does that mean??? does it mean that we have the choice to leave???

It used to be in the "olden days" that people studying with JWs, non-JW family members, walk-ins (!!) came only for the public talk. So they would be encouraged to stay. They even had a 15 minute recess between the Sunday meetings for that purpose, so they could leave without causing a scene. But fewer and fewer non-JWs attend but they still keep up the facade. The used to have a break after the public talk at the conventions too, but no more.

Blondie

• delilah
    delilah

Many times, my friend....many times. As Mary said, the meetings are just too damn long on Thursday nights and Sundays.....My kids would get too fussy Thursday nights because they needed to be home in bed. Sundays were tolerable ONLY when the speaker did not show up and it was only the Watchtower study..... The last 3 Sundays I attended, I left after the public talk.

Delilah

• R6Laser
    R6Laser

In the congregation I used to attend almost all of those between 18 - 24 years old crowd would just get up and leave after the Sunday talk. It became such an issue that the elders had to do a special talk giving advice to the congregation why it wasn't a good idea leaving after the talk.

Actually some of the MS were told to hang by the exit doors and try to stop the ones leaving early. It was kind of amusing, right after the Sunday talk watching at least 8 - 12 people walk out and leave. Everybody knew they had something planned for that Sunday evening and the Watchtower Study was in the way.

• undercover
    undercover
    They even had a 15 minute recess between the Sunday meetings for that purpose, so they could leave without causing a scene.

Oh man...I remember that when I was little. We used to go outside and play, then we'd be all hot and sweaty in an un-A/Cd building. Meetings used to be in the afternoon then too, like around 3:00pm, so JWs wouldn't be confused with 'regular' churches. I remember faking being sick one time so I could stay home and watch the Colts and Cowboys play in Super Bowl V.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit