The Country of Niger... A Call To Reason

by Doubtfully Yours 34 Replies latest social current

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I see the pictures of this starving country and it's a appalling and saddening to see the sea of children in this tragedy.

Having said that, what the heck are these people thinking bringing into the world all these children to starve to death???!!!

Along with food, why not also send enough health professionals to educate them about reproduction and its consequences in the midst of their horrible situation???!!!

DY

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Niger has tonnes and tonnes of food. Only the poor people are starving. If the people of Africa can't help each other out, even in their own country, why should we care?

T_C of the no-white-middle-class-guilt Class

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I care. However, while the going is tough perhaps they should abolish further reproduction or make some sort of 'only 1 child allowed' mandate.

Desperate times require desperate measures.

DY

• gespro
    gespro
    If the people of Africa can't help each other out, even in their own country, why should we care?

It's called Empathy. Here's an example: I was 18 once and I questioned things the same as you and then I realized life wasn't as simplistic as I had thought...

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

They have market full of food, but the government of Niger isn't doing anything to help the poor that are starving when they CAN.

Of course, life is complex, don't patronize me. We can give aid until we're bankrupt, but that's not going to change anything in Africa. Poverty is never going to be history. Africa needs trade so it can raise it's general standard of living; economic stimulation is the only thing that will relieve poverty (plus, it needs rulers who don't squander $500 billion of aid money).

• chrissy
    chrissy
    Niger has tonnes and tonnes of food. Only the poor people are starving. If the people of Africa can't help each other out, even in their own country, why should we care?

It saddens me to read such an ignorant remark from classicist, one self-professed scholar. I suggest you sign up for a cultural anthropology class at your University.

Niger has one of the highest birth rates in the world and the population will continue to climb because the Islamic fundamentalist teachings condemn birth control as an option. Like the Aids pandemic in Africa and India there are multi-generational religious customs that have made sexual promiscuity a cultural norm...it is a complex issue....

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Along with food, why not also send enough health professionals to educate them about reproduction and its consequences in the midst of their horrible situation???!!!

Because the Catholic Church and the Islamic leaders teach the people that using contraceptives will land them in hell for all eternity.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    It saddens me to read such an ignorant remark from classicist, one self-professed scholar. I suggest you sign up for a cultural anthropology class at your University.

It's hardly an ignorant remark. I'm basing my knowledge on BBC world coverage. I suggest you get your head out of the sand.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

*sigh*

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Because the Catholic Church and the Islamic leaders teach the people that using contraceptives will land them in hell for all eternity.

http://discardedlies.com/entries/2005/07/catholics_africa_and_contraception.php

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/4133374.stm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit