The Country of Niger... A Call To Reason

by Doubtfully Yours 34 Replies latest social current

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    fascism and communism should be done away with too. so? fine. religion, communism and fascism should be done away with. their track records are horrid.

So does science. Torturing thousands of animals, doing unethical experiments on people, developing the thermonuclear bomb. Science has a horrible track record and should be done away with. Don't forget all those scientists who impeded the work of other scientists out of competition and thereby causing the ignorance of the masses.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Don't forget all those scientists who impeded the work of other scientists out of competition and thereby causing the ignorance of the masses.

okay, so you want me to say that science and the catholic church are both good institutions? LOL. come on man. apples to oranges. peer review stops ignorance. if the catholic church had a peer review process, like science, there would be no catholic church!

So does science. Torturing thousands of animals, doing unethical experiments on people, developing the thermonuclear bomb. Science has a horrible track record and should be done away with.

science is not an institution that only answers to god. scientists answer to other scientists and other people. the catholic church got to do whatever they wanted, because they had god on their side.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

listen classicist,

i'm sorry if i offended you regarding the church. i have no respect for it. but i do respect you for standing your ground. that's cool.

if you still want me to, i will round up some sources on the history of the church that support my position. but if not, let's start talking about africa again.

i'm off for the day. talky tomorrows,

TS

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    peer review stops ignorance. ; if the catholic church had a peer review process, like science, there would be no catholic church!

Well, I think all those theologians who debated for the past 2000 years would argue about no peer review process. Like science, the correct side always comes out on top. (And the correct side is always the most logical).

the catholic church got to do whatever they wanted, because they had god on their side.

Well, they have to answer to God. I'm sure there are many priests, bishops, and popes in hell. We could go on forever about the inquisition, but the inquisition persecuted not only 'heretics' but also canonized saints of the Church. People abused their power and that always happens. Remember this: the inquisition only had as much power as the civil authorities allowed it. There were inquisitions in many countries (Italy included), but only the Spanish one was so severe due to the influence of the civil government in setting penalties.

i'm sorry if i offended you regarding the church

Don't worry, perhaps we should have a pankrator (or whatever Terry called it) on this.

• zagor
    zagor

What I know is that those poor babies are certainly not guilty of anything and I can't even imagine what it would be like to watch your own child die because there's nothing to eat. I mean come on, where's humanity?!? We give billions on trivial things such as nail polish or car cosmetics only a fraction of that would feed those children.
    I'm afraid that as long as we have these sorts of extreme inequalities we will be living in a troubled world dominated by religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit