Back To School--School Uniforms, Good or Bad?

by horrible life 61 Replies latest jw friends

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Living in England, all school children wear uniforms. Sorry to have to disagree with a few posters, but I believe uniforms are a good idea. High schools serving a large area have a diverse mixture of pupils - very wealthy to very poor (I believe the very needy have financial help in purchasing uniforms). If there was no uniform, the underpriveledged children would, I believe, be visibly obvious, and this would make them disadvantaged.

Master Midwich has worn a school uniform since the age of 4. Now age 12 he attends the same school I attended. (Founded 1652).

• Evanescence
    Evanescence
    the cute Japanese School Girl kind.

I will feel like sailor moon!

My school has school uniform! it doesn't bother me much, but it does annoy others, but you get used to it!

I don't like the really ugly school uniform like a blue blazer with red stripes! ewwwww

My uniform is navy blue.

I just wear whatever is in my cuboard, and that means of cause not the latest fashion either, just jeans and a t-shirt, my clothes arn't all that great at all lol! also my uniform doesn't make me look so fat lol! I am glad n a way that we do have uniform, I am sick of bullying and peer pressure and clothing would just give the bullies another way of targeting you.

Yes its nice to have individuality, but school is for learning work has uniform so does schools, its sort of like a group belonging thing, it also helps the teachers to identify who is from the school and who is tresspassing also the same with exusions, your more likely to identify the students.

lol this is a common dabate topic at school! i had this topic debated in english several times!

Evanescence

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

My experience of school uniform is that there is enough variation of what you can select as a white shirt, grey skirt, and shoes, that it is still possible to be a fashion misfit, even if you all have to wear the same blazer and tie.

Unless you make it compulsary to buy the entire ensemble from the same supplier, right down to the shoelaces, and enforce "kit inspections" four times a day, you will never stifle kids' need to be different by wearing the same thing as their mates!

Having said that, uniform did spare me from the worst excesses of my "if it is fashionable, you're not having it" mother. Non-uniform days were agony - I can't imagine going through that for five years.

• scotsman
    scotsman

School uniforms don't mean complete uniformity. I wore one and we all did things to make it seem more fashionable. We were lucky that it was black and not some of the more heinous colours that exist.

My school was founded in 1128, beat that Midwich!

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I think school uniforms they propose right now are rediculous. Collared shirts and slacks do not make for a good uniform. What would make for a good shcool uniform would be a pair of Chuck Taylors, t-shirt with the school's logo and a pair of jeans. Nothing special. A pair of 3 uniform bottoms and 5 uniform tops would cost about 60$ for the entire year.

Uniformity and originality can find a happy medium in this too because in this way, kids can wear the school uniforms in whatever style they want too. They could fray the sleeves, they could cut holes in the jeans knees, they could put patches on the pantlegs, they could even write on their jeans, but at the same time, it's a uniform and nobody would feel left out if they're too poor.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo
    My school was founded in 1128, beat that Midwich!

No problem Scotsman - I ATTENDED during the first year,lol, beat that!

Ah - MUFTI days. In England, schools have MUFTI days when the pupils wear their own clothes and pay 50p for the privilige. The money goes to charity usually.

• Mary
    Mary
    Are uniforms more economical that regular clothes for school?

School Uniforms: Are They For Christians? WT, Sept 1, 2010

Many people today send their children to a school where a school uniform is required. Most worldly people don't see anything wrong with this practice and buy the required outfits for their offspring. However, as Jehovah's chosen people, we as true Christians need to ask if this practice is acceptable to Jehovah? What is the history of uniforms? Can Christians wear a uniform without stumbling their brothers?

The uniform has it's roots in ancient pagan rituals. There is also evidence that the soldiers at Pharoah's birthday party were wearing uniforms when they executed the baker. This new flash of Light is further proof that Jehovah doesn't approve of birthdays, but He also doesn't like His true followers to wear uniforms.

What about the practice today? Admittedly, we have no evidence that anyone wears a uniform at a birthday party (except for Prince Harry) but does that mean that Jehovah has relaxed his high principles? Never may that happen! Soldiers who fight in wars wear uniforms, along with nurses in hospitals. Both these groups will be wiped out at the upcoming fear inspiring Day of Jehovah, and spiritually mature Christians would not want to risk their standing before the Throne wearing a uniform. There is also evidence that wearing a uniform that is too tight can rub your privates which can lead to masturbation which can lead to fornication and/or adultery.

If you are having trouble wishing you could wear a uniform, then get your mind off it by reading the Society's publications or praying out loud. You should also talk to one of the elders who can readjust your thinking whereby you will not bring any reproach upon Jehovah's name.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

LMAO Mary!!!!!!!!! Some of our UK people are in the office today. I'm trying to conceal the laughter!

My daughter's (elementary) school requires uniforms and I'm thrilled. Save the regular clothes for outside of school. It'll make my mornings easier, at least.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

When my children were in a school district that required them I loved it. It made everything so much easier.

Josie

• jgnat
    jgnat

I wore a red pleated skirt and a white short-sleeved blouse at the school I went to in the West Indies. Yes, uniforms hide economic barriers. They also instill school identity and pride. There is something so bright and clean watching a gaggle of girls stroll down the lane in the tropics in their school uniform. The parents, as well, took pride. After all, schooling is the ticket out of poverty in these countries.

My children also wore uniforms to school. Navy roughrider slacks and powder-blue dress shirt for the boys (Sears, bring back those slacks! They are indestructible!). The girls wore a navy pleated skirt with a pink blouse. My children always looked good though I was relatively poor. I read the directions, and hand-washed my daughter's skirt in Woolite. Some girls whose mothers had more money but less time showed wear partway through the year, with the pleats fading from the relatively rough washing machine cycles.

I think the uniform reduced anxiety for my children, boosted their confidence, and helped them identify with their school.

I think uniforms are good.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit