Back To School--School Uniforms, Good or Bad?

by horrible life 61 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Horrible Life, perhaps I'm wrong, but what you appear to be saying is that you want all the responsibility for telling your kids what they can afford to wear placed on someone else. Shouldn't learning to live within our means or learning to spend money responsibly be a lesson taught early in life? Or, perhaps let them buy their clothes with money they earn instead of buying them yourself?

My dad used to tell a story about my older sister all the time. She was 5 or 6 years old, and wanted a Barbie Doll in the worst way. There was a generic brand doll for a fraction of the price, but she wouldn't have it. He told her to save her money, and she could buy the Barbie Doll. Well, after saving for a month, she had enough. He said he took her into the store, and she took a long look at the Barbie, then at her money, and walked away with the cheaper doll. It was a cute story.

• Apathy
    Apathy

To Dave:
    Some of the more upper-class school do, I think, but the typical image of a Japanese school girl, with the knee-high socks and the short-short skirts, pretty much doesn't exist. They're pretty much allowed to wea what they want now.
    And talk about expressing yourself.. the Harajuku section of Tokyo looks rather like a Halloween party. Look it up if you want some examples. xD;
    Chelsea (Of the Useless Information Class)

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I just dont like the idea of forcing everyone to look alike, people should be able to choose what they want to wear.

Here's a good idea, why dont the WT make the JW's wear uniforms to the hall? Simple they wouldnt want people to think they are the mind controlling cult that they really are.

Dave

• Apathy
    Apathy

Dave: We've already got a dress code, uniform isn't that far off.

• horrible life
    horrible life

John you are so very right in alot of what you said. I want uniforms, so it will save me money, and my child will look nice. You should see what ALL of the girls wear. But there are underlying very big problems.

1. I was raised of course a JW. An Elders daughter, and a shrew for a mother. We didn't have very much money, but mom did sew. Bur rarely for me. I wore the same clothes over and over. I was teased every day. Dresses and skirts past the knees. Long hair pulled back by barrettes. Nothing ever pretty or cool.

2. I was older when I had my only child. The girl who I could dress up. I had a great job, and made good money. When she got older, If she wanted something, I would ask if she wanted 2.

3. I got a job at 16 to buy clothes. My father made me pay what his insurance went up before I could drive the family car. I rode city busses everywhere I went.

4. My parents were very selfish. When I moved out of their house, my parents were hateful and cheap. They wouldn't even let me take the old shower curtain, at the top of the closet, with holes in it.

Nobody helped me go through college, I started when I was 26. Not even a care package from my parents. I want everything different for my child. I would do anything for her. Am I doing her a disservice by giving into her every whime? Probably. I had such a horrible childhood and past my teens, that I want her to be happy, and well adjusted. I just can't help myself ! HL

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I absolutely hated going to a school with a uniform policy. We all knew who had money and who didn't, and we had no opportunity for self-expression. It just sucked. And, my mom said the uniforms cost her more than regular clothes would have.

• thom
    thom

---"Some of the more upper-class school do, I think, but the typical image of a Japanese school girl, with the knee-high socks and the short-short skirts, pretty much doesn't exist. They're pretty much allowed to wea what they want now."---
    I didn't know that. I spent alot of time in the late '90's working in Kawasaki and going back and forth from Tachikawa and I saw everyday lots of girls get on the train in the afternoon dressed that way.
    Was is the area I was in, or has it changed alot since the late '90's?
    On a side note, I found it cute the way they said "Bye bye" to eachother as each left the train.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

One of the things about going to school was trying to dress to impress the opposite sex, if everyone wore the same thing, it just wouldnt be cool. Different women have different figures and one may look good in pants while one may not. Blue may look well on one girl, and pink may be anothers color. Geez, I just hate the thought of forcing everyone to dress alike, the kingdom hall was bad enough. And its really not cheaper for uniforms, because it limits what you can choose to buy. If someone is really dirt poor then they could always go to a thrift store and find some stylish clothes. Plus I believe it creates a conflict of interest making people buy uniforms from one "approved" store. A parent should have the right to purchase their child's clothes from whatever store they wish to patronize.

Dave

• Apathy
    Apathy

I didn't know that. I spent alot of time in the late '90's working in Kawasaki and going back and forth from Tachikawa and I saw everyday lots of girls get on the train in the afternoon dressed that way.
    Was is the area I was in, or has it changed alot since the late '90's?
    On a side note, I found it cute the way they said "Bye bye" to eachother as each left the train.

From what I've heard, it's mostly a newer change.

• Es
    Es

Heheh i just had this discussion a couple of days ago with my partner, i think uniforms are great i never had to worry what to wear, and there was no peer pressure to get the best of everything. Especially going to a girls school things could have gotten ugly if we were left to wear what ever we wanted es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit