Back To School--School Uniforms, Good or Bad?

by horrible life 61 Replies latest jw friends

• horrible life
    horrible life

We just got back from Texas'. They had their annual Tax Free Weekend. With Hotel, gas, food, and shopping, we spent $1000.00 easy. I spent almost $100.00 on a pair of jeans. They looked like they should be thrown in the trash. Completely faded, and had holes. I know I shouldn't have bought them, but I had promised a couple of years ago, if she found some that fit, I would buy them.

So besides the wasted $100 dollar jeans, I spent alot of money. I think uniforms are the way to go. My husband and I have been saying this for years. Our school board won't even discuss it. We do live in a very low income area.

Are uniforms more economical that regular clothes for school?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I think uniforms are a good idea -they stop fashion parades and also level the playing filed between less well off and well off families

• JH
    JH
    I spent almost $100.00 on a pair of jeans. They looked like they should be thrown in the trash. Completely faded, and had holes.

Maybe your 100$ bill didn't look any better........

• Dimples
    Dimples

I sure wish my son's school had uniforms. There just seems to be too much focus on clothing and not enough on education. Those who can't afford name brand clothes always seem to get teased. If everyone looked alike in school maybe the kids would focus more on their school work and less on going to a fashion show.

DIMPLES

• Apathy
    Apathy

I'd love it if my school had uniforms. Expecially the cute Japanese School Girl kind.
    Or knee socks. But yeah. Uniforms would save so much time in the morning, and all the preppy girls couldn't bitch about how your clothes suck and 'Why don't you ever wear brand names?' Gee, I dunno, besides them costing fifty dollars for a tee-shirt. -eyeroll-

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Im against school uniforms, to me they just reek of communism and forced unity, almost like the kingdom hall. I wear a uniform to work everyday, and when I first got it I was really proud and thought it looked cool, but I actually miss being able to dress in my own distinctive look. I guess it does level the playing field, but it can also stifle individuality.

Dave

• fairchild
    fairchild
    I think uniforms are a good idea -they stop fashion parades and also level the playing filed between less well off and well off families

agreed, 100%

• John Doe
    John Doe

Levelling playing fields seems rather communistic to me--and I never had fashionable clothes in school. I would be against it. Snobbish people are going to be snobbish no matter the clothes, and thinking that forced conformity will cause greater academic discipline is an ill-fated enterprise, in my humble opinion.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Right, Leveling the playing field gives a child an unrealistic view of life-children need to learn how to deal with the various social orders that appear in real life. In short I think it just leads to a sheltered life---Here is something that doesnt surprise me one bit, My Dad the faithful WT Elder, always said that uniforms should be worn in school, we used to argue about that when I was growing up, as fashion and styles make up so much of what children experience when growing up. Im an adult now and wear practically what I want and when I want, and I dont necessarily try to keep up with the "style" Dont the Japanese force school kids to wear uniforms?

Dave

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Overall, I liked going to a highschool with uniforms. It helped the economically poorer students feel better about themselves and helped to curb obsessions with fashion. But they couldn't stop people from eventually being shunted into one or other teen sub-culture. At least you weren't immediately labelled solely on how you dressed. They had to interact with you for about.....oh 30 seconds or so... before they could peg you.

While its true that uniforms can only do so much to keep teenage minds focussed on education, it did mean we had to use more of our imagination, so thats a good thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit