How are your marriages fairing after leaving?

by 24k 28 Replies latest jw friends

Just a little bit about myself before you answer:

I was raised a Jehovah's Witness by my mother, who got "the truth" by studying with inlaws who were already members. My father had been disfellewshipped for joining the army a few years before I was born, and has nevered returned to the organization. I never took the religion seriously until my late teen years, when I began searching for some stability and acceptance in my life. My dad and mom were divorced when I was sixteen, and needless to say, things were pretty hectic in a single mother household. My mom and dad were so busy trying to survive their own lives, they didn't have much energy left for guiding the lives of myself or my sibilings. My mom did her best, and the one thing she did impart to me, was a real love for God. Unfortunately, she also exposed me to her new found faith as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Since I loved God, and since I knew I wanted to please him, it seemed to make sense that the only way to do that, was to become one of Jehovah's Witnesses. After all, my mother and most of my family were saying so. Even my father would comment that, while he couldn't live that way, if any religion had the truth, it was Jehovah's Witnesses. So, I began my career as a member.

I served for several years as a pioneer, ministerial servant, and finally for seven years as an elder. At 19, I married my wife, who along with her family, continue to serve as devout Jehovah's Witnesses. After almost two decades of marriage, we brought into the world, two beautiful daughters. My wife and I love each other very much, and of course we adore our children.

Now, the problem. A little over five years ago, while I was still serving as an elder, I began to have serious reservations about some of the teachings and policies of the organization. I won't go into detail now, but suffice to say, I struggled with these doubts and concerns for almost two years. Finally, one late night, after a particularly difficult judicial case, I was so distraught and emotionally exhausted by, not only the case, but my own crisis of faith, that I got down on my knees and begged God to help me understand what was happening to me. For the first time, I prayed for him to reveal himself to me regardless of where it lead. I began to read the bible, trying hard to let it speak without any preconceived notions about what it should say. What I found, was that it didn't always agree with what I had been taught, and what I had been teaching myself. I found that many doctrinal issues that I thought were slam dunks, were not so easy to explain in context. I found apparent contradictions and passages which seemed hard to reconcile with a God of love. I found that, in some areas, the bible is quite vague, no matter how hard you try to find definitive answers. Now that I was determined to read the scriptures without bias, I was no longer satisfied with answering these difficult issues by playing them off as misunderstandings, or points needing further clarification. I began reading everything I could find about the bible, faith, and religion. The latter included material from former Jehovah's Witnesses.

Needless to say, my faith in the watchtower was shaken to the core, and finally dashed. It was like Dorothy finding out the Wizard of Oz was just an old man behind a curtain. I didn't come to hate the organization, but I did come to resent all the wasted years and the continued ill treatment of those who would disagree with its teachings.

Which finally brings me to the subject of this post. Have those of you who are married to JW's, been able to find happiness in your relationships in spite of your religious differences. Have you been able to overcome the feeling that you are the enemy, tolerated and humored, but never accepted for who you really are? How about how you raise your children? Will your wife attend dinners or events with you at the homes of your worldly friends? I guess I'm asking, can you ever have a real partnership with one in and one out?

Sorry if this post seems ranting. I've left so much out, but I didn't want to bore you to tears.

Thanks for your help...

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I was born and raised a JW. I too married an extremely gorgeous JW girl when I was 19. I quit the JWs at 25 for essentially the same reasons you did. My wife stayed in the organization. After a few months, on the advice of the brothers and sisters, she separated from me. It hurt, but I got over it. I came to realize we were never really in love in the first place. We were yet another of the horny JW teens getting married because we felt guilty for doing dirty things. So I suggested divorce.

Well, after 4 months of separation she asked me back. I felt sorry for her and took her back. A few years later the elders finally disfellowshipped me, which I told them seemed awfully funny since I wasn't fellowshipping. My marriage continued but I was living a lie. So a little later when I was 30 I left her. Gave her everything and anything she wanted materially. I even lived at my office for 4 months because I gave her the house. Today we actually friends. We see each other casually, help each other out with stuff once in a while. Technically she should have nothing to do with me but she breaks the rules. She was and is a very good person, I just couldn't be married to her.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wow, you've done some intense soul-searching. What you discovered is a treasure to precious to ever bury again.

But then there is your wife and children. Have you read Amazing1914's story of how he got his whole family out? Basically, he took advantage of his status as head of the household and slowly introduced independent thinking to his family through a regular bible study. (Nothing terribly suspicious in that, the WTS pays lip service to this kind of activity).

http://www.freeminds.org/psych/exithelp.htm

Perhaps something similar can work for you.

My situation is a little different. I married a "spiritually weak" JW and I am firmly resolved never to be one myself. Religious conversations are always heated, but I suspect he secretly enjoys the mental exercise. I think our marriage is too young to declare it a success.

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

FIRST OF ALL, IT CAN BE DONE (IE. KEEPING THE MARRIAGE TOGETHER) BUT IT IS NOT VERY EASY. IT IS A CASE OF BEING 'UNEVENLY YOKED' AND AS TIME GOES ON YOUR FRUSTRATION GROWS WHEN YOU BECOME VIEWED AS A 'NON-PERSON.

IN MY OWN CASE THE MARRIAGE DID NOT LAST. IN RETROSPECT, I THINK I MAY HAVE DONE A FEW THINGS DIFFERENT, BUT I STILL DO NOT THINK IT WOULD HAVE MADE A BIG DIFFERENCE IN THE OVERALL PICTURE.

SHE PROBABLY WILL NOT BE COMFORTABLE WITH ANY OF YOUR WORLDLY FRIENDS, WON'T PRAY WITH YOU, OR TALK ABOUT IMPROTANT SPIRITUAL MATTERS. SHE WILL LEAVE YOU ALONE OFTEN FOR CONGREGATIONAL THINGS, CO VISITS, ASSEMBLIES, SERVICE, GET TOGETHERS, ETC., ETC., BUT IF 'YOU' SHOULD VISIT A CHURCH , IT WILL BE HELL TO PAY OR A LOT OF SILENCE.

OF COURSE, YOU COULD VIEW THIS AS PART OF YOUR PERSECUTION, BUT AGAIN, IT IS NOT EASY. IT IS BEST TO TRY TO STAY TOGETHER ESPECIALLY IF LOVE IS THERE BUT BE PREPARED FOR A LONG HARD LIFE.

OUTASERVICE

• Honesty
    Honesty

After 15 years as a JW and 10 of those being married to a beautiful blonde super dub, I left the cult, started attending a bible believing and teaching church and she left me. No contact. Not even with the kids, which is in litigation. I have never seen it work out when one spouse leaves due to doctrinal differences. The pressure from da friends and elders on the spouse who stays in the cult puts too much strain on the relationship for it to survive.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    She was and is a very good person, I just couldn't be married to her.

This is me. My ex and I did the same thing, I was 19, didn't know anything about anything, and the more I became the real me, the less we were compatible. She's fading, or trying to now. But it's not the religeon, it's who they mademe into, as well as her, and we really weren't those people.

Like you, we have become friends above and beyond anything I could have expected, which is awesome because we have two daughters.

Now there's a different issue...getting new relationships to understand why you don't hate each other and that they have no reason to be concerned...

WLG

• AlanF
    AlanF

24k:

I married a pioneer sister when I was almost 24, and an active JW. That was in 1975. When 1975 came and went without Armageddon showing up, I gradually realized that something was very wrong in Brooklyn, and a number of inconsistent teachings that had nagged me kept popping up in my mind. I gradually developed the feeling that in 20 or 30 years, I would very much regret having been a JW. My wife enjoyed her "nice things" and so, in 1978, we decided that I should go to college so as to get a good career. While there, I learned enough that my faith in the Watchtower Society as God's spokesman was killed. I gave it one more try after I graduated in 1982, but became permanently inactive in 1983. My wife kept active, but gradually distanced herself. Our one child was born in 1985, and shortly after that my wife concluded that, as long as I wasn't an active JW, I wasn't worth her emotional investment. Of course, she didn't tell me that until after our divorce beginning in 1994.

From 1983 through 1990, I had little to do with the JWs, except for the occasional meeting and the various assemblies, which I attended only because my wife wanted some help dealing with our daughter. I also went to the occasional social function that my wife was invited to. During this time I sporadically researched certain topics of special interest, such as creation and the Flood, and the Society's view of science. I rarely spoke of these things to my wife, since she made it clear early on that my views were of no interest to her. In actual fact, she was very afraid of my developing views. Also, when my JW parents would visit once or twice a year, I'd discuss some things with my elder stepdad. Both my wife and my mom would get very upset, and often leave the room. My wife became aware of my rejection of Noah's Flood around 1988, and convinced an elder about my age to come to the house weekly and discuss the matter. Of course, it ended up that he had no answers, and suggested writing to the Society.

In late 1990 I began an intense program of research into the matters I was concerned with, and began writing documented essays to keep my thoughts in order. I also wrote several letters to the Society, most of which were not even acknowledged. My wife, if I recall right, read just one or two letters, and was horrified, so I never gave her any more information. I remember one time, though, after she discovered my hidden copy of Raymond Franz's Crisis of Conscience, she challenged me on some point. I told her that, until the 1940s, the Society had used 1874 instead of 1914 for the date of Christ's invisible return, and that that indicated something was very wrong in their teaching. She said, "No they didn't!" So I went and retrieved her very own copy of the 1973 book God's Kingdom of a Thousand Years has Approached, which lays this all out, and which she herself studied in the Book Study. She refused to look at the page. That pretty well set the stage for the next several years. She turned out to be deathly afraid of the information I was gathering, which I never again discussed with her but she found out about in my papers that were hidden away.

I have no idea what your wife is like. If she's like my ex, you're in for some big trouble. If she's open and reasonably tolerant, you have a good chance to keep your marriage together. However, you should understand that, no matter what, you're going to play second fiddle to the Watchtower Society. If she doesn't keep you in that place, she'll simply quit being a JW, because that's a fundamental requirement the Society places on JWs.

It's entirely possible to live with your lives largely apart, but it won't be very happy or satisfying, because of your second class citizen nature. Having to do it over again, I'd have divorced my braindead JW wife much earlier. I won't ever again play second fiddle to anyone or anything with my wife. A marriage is pointless otherwise.

It's also possible that you might be able to gradually insinuate some clear facts and thinking into your wife's mind. It all depends on her personality. If she's like my ex, forget it -- the mind is shut down. If she's like Amazing1914's, you have a good chance.

What you do depends on your long term goals. Do you want to live a life in the backwaters of the rest of your family? Do you want to play second fiddle the rest of your life? Or do you want the respect you deserve as an intelligent, independent man?

Your kids obviously play heavily into this. Some people who quit the JW cult find that the kids happily go along. Others find themselves shunned. Only you can determine what might happen here.

You have plenty of things to think about and decisions to make. I feel very bad for you, since I know quite well the potential for some very bad years. But that's the fruit of destructive cults like the JWs. There's no help for it.

I'm now married to a wonderful ex-JW named Juliann, and life has never been better.

AlanF

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

In my case one of the reasons I left was to get away from an abusive marriage. I can't tell you how many abusive marriages there are inside that cult! I stayed with him for 15 years because I was convinced it was the right thing to do. I was told from my father and from the elders that if he was treating me badly it must be something I was doing to cause it. I tried everything I could do to be a submissive wife. But walking on eggshells for 15 years not knowing what would set him off was just a bit more than I could handle.

I got on anti-depressants, and when I was strong enough I left both him and the religion. What a load off!

I know your case is different, just wanted to present that not in all cases would a person WANT to keep their marriages going afterwards. I think you'll find that I'm not the only one on this board either with similar stories.

Sherry

• sunshine2
    sunshine2

I was already married when I got baptized....actually I was 7 years married. At first my husband took th ekids to Grandma's for birthdays and christmas celebrations, I joined them the day after.......at times I was not even allowed on their property or in their house, because of my JW religion.

Later my husband stood by my side, denfended me and even studied for many years, never to the point of baptism though. He came along to all conventions and assemblies.....never gave me a hard time, really. My daughter wanted to get baptized at age 16 or 17, but I told her to wait.....good thing I did.

When I deceided to call it quits after 13 years, he supported me just the same.....and we are now happier than ever. Nobody forcing you to attend Sunday meetings if you would rather go to the beach....it is wonderful.

• Sheri
    Sheri

Getting Better with more communication! My husband was not a JW but before we got together but he had in the past attended some meetings and did study bible for awhile, so he had knowledge of the teachings. He has never tried to change my beliefs and accepted it when I began to study. He has over the years gone along with my beliefs (holidays, meetings, etc.) but even though I had slowed down on meetings he was still shocked when I told him of my concerns of the teachings. I really appreciate that he has not tried to sway me one way or the other, even when the various witnesses brothers we had hired over the last 10 years usually ended up being a mistake, either tried to take our business away or just did terrible work. He did finally say he will not hire another witness, which I agreed was best. I did not ever take up issues with elders over the work problems (a couple of the brothers we hired where elders!) I just figure we will all will be accountable eventually.

Today we talk more about God than ever before and even have disucussion on various issues of our individual beliefs and questions about religion. It was as if before he knew there would be no discussion just the JW way or the highway, now we are on a two way street. I am so thankful to have come to this point in my life, it is such a freedom. However, unlike many I do not a lot of family members in the organization. My mother in law is, but she is also questioning many things and said she would stand behind me regardless of what I choose to do in formally leaving the org, since we do not live in same area it is not a big problem. I am so thankful she is open to listening to me and sharing her own concerns but her age and has a small group of sisters that are dear to her and I know she chooses at this point in her life not to make waves. I do believe that there are many elderly ones that feel this way.

Peace & Love,

Sheri

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit