CAR INSURANCE IS THE BIGGEST RIP OFF IN THE WORLD!!!

by Mary 44 Replies latest jw friends

• donkey
    donkey
    What am I doing wrong??

Sounds fairly simple to me. But I know you will hate my answer....

You are doing what I call "renting a life style". From what you describe it sounds like you are making a choice to have a car that you cannot afford. In your shoes I would either find a way to earn more money or to by a cheap used car without a payment and only carry collision insurance. If you feel you are tapped out with regard to increasing income then it is likely you will never get ahead with your chosen expenses.

My answer is unpopular but its true.

Donkey

• rocketman
    rocketman

Because I insure with the same company for home, life, and auto, my rates weren't all that bad, until...my teenager started driving.

In any case, I understand your frustration Mary. It seems we never have money to save or just enjoy for ourselves. It's always going somewhere - insurances, fuel, taxes, etc, etc.

• Mary
    Mary

Are you in the US and if so can you say what state you are in?

Nope, I'm in Ontario, Canada.......

donkey said: You are doing what I call "renting a life style". From what you describe it sounds like you are making a choice to have a car that you cannot afford. In your shoes I would either find a way to earn more money or to by a cheap used car without a payment and only carry collision insurance.

Believe me donk----I'm not "renting a life-style". Normally, I couldn't care less about a car, but I commute to work and after the horrendous experiences with my last car, I simply had to get something more reliable. My last car, a Nissan, ended up costing me thousands in repairs. Everything major went on it including the transmission, two alternators, the starter, two batteries-----it leaked oil, the air conditioning didn't work. The car was only 3 years old when I first bought it and I took really good care of it. It was just a shit car, and I was shocked when all this stuff would go on it, because I was always told that foreign cars didn't break down as often as domestic cars.

Therefore, I realized that I needed something more dependable that wasn't going to break down on a continual basis. The car payment itself isn't the problem. The problem is the price of the insurance and the cost of gasoline. When I first bought my Nissan 6 years ago, it cost $17.00 to fill it up. I now pay about $45.00 to fill my tank up. In other words, my insurance has doubled in price, the cost of gas has nearly tripled but my salary sure as hell didn't.

One thing I've considered is just selling the car, move a block away from where I work and just walk there. However, I'd still need a car for getting around, but I could probably get one for $3,000 - $5,000. If I didn't have to commute, I'd save a fortune.

• Simon
    Simon

Insurance in general is overpriced IMO and almost gets to the point (like extended warranties) where you are paying the repair costs regardless of whether you have had an accident or breakdown.

There is a certain amount of "peace of mind" which makes it worthwhile but you can also decide to partly self-insure. i.e. have cheaper insurance that won't cover you for as much but then put away the money you save in case you do need it for something you are not covered for. You may win, you may lose.

I never get the extra cover on rental cars. a) it isn't my car! b) I have never had an accident in 20+ years driving and that's often doing a lot of miles.

Insurance has gone up so much that in the UK there is a massive proportion of uninsured drivers which makes the situation even worse ('cause the honest drivers premiums go up to cover them as well, grrr). It's annoying that they do not have better enforcement - too many times an uninsured driver with no license gets a warning on a cop car camera show. They should squash the car, whatever it is.

• Golden Girl
    Golden Girl

Well I pay $744. a year for a 96 GMC conversion van and I pay $450. a year for a old 87 Taurus.

My house insurance is rediculous. The older my house gets the more they raise the price of replacement. If my house burned down I could build a mansion..I figure it's a investment!

I don't put that many miles on my cars..they are garaged...the van has a burgler alarm system..two actually..

I have no wrecks on my record or tickets.

I have all three with the same company..you would think they would give me a break..they tell me they are but....

A quick story about the hail storm we had a few years ago. Huge hail..the insurance company sent an adjuster out to appraise the damage and cost to fix. He put down $200.

The whole roof and some siding were damaged.Hubby was going to take it but I called a roofer and siding company and they appraised the damage at $4,000.

I called the company and they called the roofer and siding company and we got our $4,000. of course their check bounced because someone unauthorized signed it but we later got a good check!

Imagine people that just took what they were offered.

Shameful..

Snoozy..

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

in the uk the price of insurance for new drivers is so high that it is worth the risk not to have any because the penalty for being caught uninsured is likely to be less than the insurance..no wonder more and more people are risking it

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Do some shopping... I live in a no-fault US state and pay about $1400.00 US a year for full coverage on a 4x4 Pickup (2003), a Neon 2003) and liability- only on an '93 Pickup I keep for the farm. I live near a good sized metro area... but I do have a Master Policy on a farm so I get agriculture rates on car insurance.

My college age son drives one of those vehicles full time.

My old Motorcycle runs about $300 a year, its a early 80's Honda 750. The policy covers storage in winters above and beyond what homeowners would cover while in the garage.

I lived in a high theft state with typically high rates before... shopping for quotes is worth the time. I changed carriers 3 times and even with better cars in the garage my bills got lower each time.

Shop around!

~Hill

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I phond my credit card company and they specifically told me they DONT give free car rental insurance!

I never get the extra cover on rental cars. a) it isn't my car! b) I have never had an accident in 20+ years driving and that's often doing a lot of miles.

This is so true Simon. I have never had an accident either, but its that fear that someone else whose high or drunk might plough into you. Esp. in Miami (isnt it the drugs capital of something or other?)

I hate being ruled by that chance fear. My mathematical head tells me to ignore the add on insurance. My scaredy cat head tells me that if I do the god of bad luck will punish me for being so confident in my driving! And the other god will punish me for believing in the god of bad luck. Its a WAR up there over me!!

• Rod P
    Rod P

Mary,

Allow me to suggest the unthinkable here. You're paying $328 a month for car payments, $175 a month for car insurance = $503 per month. Then you spend about $100+ a month on gas, and these days gas prices are going nowhere but up. So now, at $600+ a month, you're looking at over $7,200 a year. In 10 years that adds up to $72,000+.

I don't know what your annual income situation is, but you are probably paying around 25% in personal income taxes as an Ontario taxpayer. The money you are paying for transportation is being paid with "after tax" dollars, which means the you have to earn at least $9,600 a year to pay for your $7,200 in transportation costs. In 10 years that's $96,000 in earnings to pay for the $72,000. No wonder you can't win! It's because you are playing the game of "Lose". The system is calculated and legislated that way. Time to rebel, and quit being victimized!

The system is not going to change because there are too many vested interests at stake.

So you and I have some choices to make. Remain a victim of the system, or else do something about it to change your lot in life. It's all about choices

WHAT IF YOU:

1) Sold your car and used the sale proceeds to pay off your car loan. You most likely would even have some money left over.

2) At that point, you no longer would have insurance payments or gas expenses.

3) Now, what to do with that extra $7,200 a year.

4) Suppose you set yourself a goal, say for a period of 10 years out of your life. During this time, you going to deliberately make some sacrifices for the good of the longer term goal. That goal is to earn and save a little "nest egg". (You want to be able to control your own financial destiny, instead of always coming from behind, and the only light you see at the end of the tunnel seems to be a freight train.)

5) Ask yourself, "What alternatives are there with regards to my transportaition needs?" Can I take the bus (or subway if you are in the Metro-Toronto area)? If I am close to work, is it practical enough to walk? If so, think about the health benefits? If not,what else can I do? What about using a bicycle? Out here in the Vancouver Lower Mainland, there are/have been a number of women who go to and from work on Razor Scooters. Some of them actually had little motors installed on the back, so they could putt-putt down the sidewalk, coasting along with little or no effort. None of this is subject to car insurance. In terms of emergencies along the way, take a cab. Yes, it costs money, so you can't do that all the time. But you do this in only the most serious situations. Monthly bus passes would likely cost you in the neighborhood of $100 a month or so. Finally, in terms of lifestyle, when you really want to get away, you can always do a Car Rental for a weekend here and there. You can do this for under $200 on a weekend. The thing about your own car is that car insurance ticks along 24 hours a day, seven days a week, whether you're using the car or not. The car payments aren't going to quit any time soon. In fact, by the time you pay off the car, you are already thinking about trading in your car for a better, newer model, and back you go on the financial treadmill.

So now, if you can rearrange your affairs, keeping in mind your long-term gains for short-term sacrifices, can you not see that you could get your transportation budget down to say $200 a month for bus, taxis and occasional car rentals? This then would free up a good $400 a month, which is about $5,000 a year. Wow! Now if you invested that $5,000 a year, collecting interest on that money, compounded monthly, at the end of 10 years you could have saved $50,000, and probably have earned another $50,000 return on your investment = $100,000. There would be some taxes payable on the $50,000 Interest Income, say at 25% or $12,500, but that still leaves $37,500 after tax dollars, together with your $50,000 invested capital = $87,500 tax paid dollars.

Now who's the victim? Not you anymore! You are ahead of the game, instead of behind. Now you are in a better position to set yourself up with a car, which you can afford to buy outright for cash. By the way, cash buyers can save thousands in discounts on purchases. Cash is KING. Afterwards, you would have no car loan payments to worry about, which again, puts you ahead of the game. And ten years from now, alternative fuel cars will be a big factor in the marketplace- electric cars, hydrogen fuel, and some other alternatives on the horizon, etc.

So there you go, Mary. Think about it!

Incidentally, I do not own a car, by design. I take the bus and use sky train (equivalent to subway) and it works just fine. Sure, I miss a car sometimes, but I know I can make do without it. I just think about all the money I have saved, and I realize it is all worth it.

Good luck! Nahh! Luck has nothing to do with it. Planning and decisions have everything to do with it.

Rod P.

• Simon
    Simon
    This is so true Simon. I have never had an accident either, but its that fear that someone else whose high or drunk might plough into you. Esp. in Miami (isnt it the drugs capital of something or other?)

Yeah, but as long as I can fly out I'm happy. I'm not going to worry about a car I don't own in a country I don't live in !

I doubt they extradite people over bent bumpers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit