Dungeons and Dragons game & JW urban legends

by rebel8 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• rebel8
    rebel8

Does anyone remember this game from (I think) the early '80s? It's a role playing game of some sort that included some violent imagery or something.

I remember JWs (and the media, come to think of it) making a big, big deal of it. Something like it was demonized or made kids murder people. I think it was in the literature or mentioned at assemblies. Anyone have a better recollection of this? I think my mother also believed it forced kids to use drugs. I think there was one real incident when a kid did something violent, which then fueled a bunch of irrational fear.

There must have been some pretty stupid myths being circulated among dubs about it, like the smurf thing.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Yeah, I used to play it, amongst other Role-Playing Games (RPGs). It was just some harmless escapism where you got to butcher innocent orcs with nine-bladed b*st*rd swords, etc., if the Dungeon Master (DM) felt so inclined to let one cross your path.

When my parents found out they hooked out the article on it and insisted that I burn everything I had in front off them.. I think they were kinda disappointed when it didn't release demons to go screaming up the flue...

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

I had pretty much the same experience as Little Toe. I've recently met up with some guys my age who want to start a D&D group, and wish to include me. I'm looking forward to playing again.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i thought it was evil too.. till i met people who actually played and explained it to me..watching them play it looks too much like homework lol

pokemon higher levels, harry potter, lord of the rings, all are D&D knockoffs.. its still around in many many reincarnations.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

The rules were fairly simple, for the most part.

GURPS (Generic Universal Role-Playing System) was far more intricate and adaptable, albeit only using D6 dice. I bought most of the books for that, memorised them, and then sold them on. Sadly my memory faded...

...age doesn't come alone!

• loosie
    loosie
    it didn't release demons to go screaming up the flue

What a bummer. I so want to see demons screaming up the chiminey when something, anything burns. lmbo

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Ok, any non-geeks might as well move on, cause I'm gonna get really nerdy here. D&D came out in the 70's, under the company TSR (Tactical Studies Rules), which was founded by a man named Gary Gygax. Later on, Gygax was forced out of the loop in his own company. D&D got more and more popular, and TSR produced several other games; the Top Secret spy game, the Gangbusters mafia 20's game, and the Star Frontiers space adventures game. By 82 or 83, D&D was so popular they ran a cartoon series based on the game rules with the same name.

D&D is still alive and well today, and is up to its third edition (fourth technically, but the newest one is affectionately called 3.5, they just revised the third edition). Its no longer printed by TSR though, they got bought out by Wizards of the Coast (which is the company behind the collectable card trading game Magic: The Gathering) in the late 90s, 98 I think. Not sure who actually owns what at this point, cause I think Hasbro toy company bought Wizards of the Coast or vice versa, as well.

As to the "D&D makes kids kill people" theme, there are 2 main incidents that are responsible for this: One is the story of college kid James Dallas Egbert III as told in the book "The Dungeon Master". He was severely depressed, possibly bipolar, and went down in the steam tunnels under the college to kill himself. This became the first urban legend about D&D, and perversions of his story began circulating all over, along with rumors that D&D players like to play 'live action' in the woods, in caves, in secret basement complexes, etc. The other reason was a really hideous movie that starred Tom Hanks in what was probably his first role ever, "Mazes and Monsters". In it, one of the players in a gaming group (depicted by Hanks) slowly begins to lose it, and D&D becomes his schizoid alternate reality, complete with a bit where he gets confused and wanders about in the subway system, nearly getting killed by a dragon subway train.

If you've ever played D&D, and thumbed your nose at all those stupid stories about kids becoming psychos because of D&D, or if you just like a good laugh, here's a really humorous link:

http://www.cybermoonstudios.com/8bitDandD.html

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

My sister-in-law, who lives in WI, said the couple who created that game were in her congregation and when they became "rich", they left the "truth". So you know us JW's couldn't play that game.

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

at one time i played D&D... then i realised i'd rather play with girls, and unfortunately you don't get to choose both

bethel

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

i've played a couple of times since leaving the troof...

no urges to kill anyone yet...except that idiot who insist on wasting almost an entire hour, arguing that his spell did turn you into a toad.

luv, jojo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit