Has anyone ever been to a Christadelphian meeting?

by twinkletoes 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Quandry
    Quandry

Twinkletoes

Thank you for your post. I have read information about them on their website, also. My hubbie and I were in for over thirty years also, and it is hard knowing what to do now regards religion.

I thought about the "born again" route, but look at the things that they have been involved in-Pat Roberson, Jimmy Swaggart, etc.

I have seen Joel Osteen on TV and he seems so upbeat and sincere. Of course he steers clear of anything doctrinal or controversial. Still, when we felt low after seeing the Borg for what it is, I watched him a few times and felt better because of his uplifting message of love and "you can do it" attitude.

If you do go to meetings of Christadelphians or find out more about them, please post and let us know more.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Interesting....

Yesterday, I was driving in a somewhat rural area of New Jersey, and saw a small sign that said "Christadelphian Bible Camp". I wondered if it was a joke or a cult.

Christadelphian???? Don't they mean Philadelphian?

• Youngpete
    Youngpete

I disagree with you Steph,

You misunderstood the Christadelphians you knew..

Christadelphians dont believe in any other personal revelation by God except the one given to us in the Bible.

J.Thomas wasn't actually our founder,we exixsted in the 1st century as the disciples of Christ..

From generation to generations,there are traces of Believers worlwide..In this generation,through a personal devotion to the study of the Word of God by Thomas,he found out that people have been misled by so-called Reverends[fathers]..He brought back that ancient teachings by Jesus and The early saints..He wasn't Perfect as he made some mistakes in his outstanding works'Elpis Isreal' Which he later corrected on his following work..

We dont worship human beings...Our doctrine is based on the bible.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Hi youngpete, and welcome to the forum.

When you wrote this:

J.Thomas wasn't actually our founder,we exixsted in the 1st century as the disciples of Christ..

Were you being serious? It reminds me of the jws claim that Abel was the first- ever jehovahs witness, although the cult wasn't known by that name until 1931. Like the jws in the garden of Eden, I would doubt that anyone in the 1st century called themselves Christadelphians. The kind of claim you are making is, to me, a sign that the Christadelphians, who I confess I know little about, nor do I want to know more, may well be a brainwashing cult almost on par with the jws.

I may be wrong, but your comment is far too reminiscent of some of the grandiose claims I heard or rather read of the wts making for themselves while I was a jw. Tell me, do the Christadelphians believe they are the only true religion? I had a quick glance at their beliefs,and they do seem more like the jws than those of any mainstream church.

• carla
  • Seeker4
    Seeker4

Have had a Christadelphian friend since high school. Like someone said above, they, the JWs, 7th Day Adventists and probably a few others all sprang out of the Adventist movement in the 1800s. They've all remained curious little sects on the fringes of mainstream Christianity, garnering a few million members worldwide through missionary work - not much of a showing for 150 years or so of preaching.

They make all the same silly claims as the JWs - practicing the earliest form of Christianity, the only ones that have the REAL TRUTH about God and the Bible, etc.

Didn't you get enough of that nonsense when you were JWs? When you step back from religion and look at all these various sects with their piddling arguments over all these verses in the Bible, all coming up with hundreds of different interpretations for it, all claiming that their interpretation is the truth and everyone else is wrong - doesn't it just set your teeth on edge and you want to shove the whole lot in the dustbin?

Don't just go from one silly sect to another. When you free yourself from false religion it's a good time to realize that they are all false religions, and start working to move yourself up to a higher level of consciousness, a broader world view.

S4

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Oh, wait, I do agree with the Christadelphians on one thing - there is no Satan!

S4

• twinkletoes
    twinkletoes

I saw this old post of mine = well over one year ago now. Youngpete must have been searching for Christadelphians subjects, but still, it was good to see further comments on this thread.

Time has moved on, and after months of looking open-mindly into the bible and bible researchers books, I now am more of the understanding that God, whatever his name may be, is not with any one church. I don't even know if the bible was inspired by God. The more you research, the more confusing it gets.

Twink

Welcome Youngpete

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

When you wrote this:

Were you being serious?

Oh, he was being serious, alright. They do believe that they can trace their lineage back to the first century. But since they count that lineage through figures such as William Tyndale, who was known to history as a Trinitarian, the linkage is tenuous, at best.

No, Thomas was an apostate Congregationalist who decided to start his own religion after nearly drowning in a shipwreck. At first he fell in with a group run by Alexander Campbell, but went out on his own, when he realised his ego wasn't being stroked enough. He was heavily influenced by the Millerites (weren't they all? ) and was guilty of date setting, as were most groups that come from that lineage.

His successor was Robert Roberts, a disobedient child who rebelled against his parents and their religion at age 12, and threw in his lot with the fledgling religion of Thomas. Like most founders of religion at the time, he was not immune from financial skullduggery. He fell for a scam involving buying land in what is now Israel to establish the Millennial Kingdom. Most of his flock's money disappeared down that money pit, along with his own.

Since Christadelphians believe that you cannot be saved under their system unless you understand it, children and the mentally challenged are not likely to be resurrected. This tore Roberts apart when one of his own kids died. He had no hope for that child's resurrection, which is kind of odd for a religion that subtitles itself as "The Hope".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit