City person or Country person

by JH 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin

I was born and raised in Ft.Worth...lived eleven years in Dallas...have lived in Hope Arkansas and Monroe La....when we came back to Texas in '84 we came to Weatherford thirty miles west of Ft. Worth...at that time the population was about 12,000 or so...Weatherford has grown some over the years, as small towns will do next to large metro areas, but continues to maintain the small town atmosphere, for now, which is what I've come to be comfortable with...I've been to Dallas maybe three or four times in the last twenty years and very seldom go into Ft. Worth for anything...if I could support us in an even smaller town I would...where we are will do for now...

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I'm living in Boise now, a city of 200K (with another 100K or so in suburbs) and I can't wait to move somplace bigger. Hopefully Seattle, later this year... *keeping fingers crossed*

I love the relaxation of the country for the occasional vacation, but on an ongoing basis? No way in hell.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

I love our small town (pop. approximately 24,000)...it's just big enough to have such amenities as a few good restaurants and movie theatres and shopping, and since we have a University in town...a lot of cultural activities going on.

Personally...I would love to live on the shore of Lake Superior without any neighbors within a few miles. Guess that really makes me a country person.

cathy l.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Lived way out in the sticks in a community of less than 300 people and also lived in a small town of <10K population and will never again. I go there to visit but that's all. The city I live in now has a few drawbacks but the conveniences make up for it.

• delilah
    delilah

I like the quiet of my small town, but unfortunately, it is growing by leaps and bounds. I'm near many large cities, so we need not travel too far for shopping and theaters etc. My town is quite artsy-fartsy, lots of talent here, we have old Victorian homes, and it's really beautiful. I'm not a city person at all, except to visit periodically.

Delilah

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

City, because I love the convienence of having everything I want close by. I grew up in a small town and although it is nice, it was a drive to go anywhere.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Give me 50-100 acres of land and i'll put my house right in the middle of it!!! I hate having noisey neighbors, barking dogs, teenagers with loud music, people working on their cars etc...I don't want a neighbor within 10 miles of me, and thats how I would have it if I could!

• thom
    thom

I posted earlier that I prefer the city. Maybe I should clarify a bit.
    I'm originally from New York and I liked it there, but I prefer it here (Phoenix) quite a bit. It's city (about 2.2 million people), but very suburban where I live. I can have horses, chickens whatever on my property (about 1/3 acre) but I can also walk to the mall, or many other shopping areas. At night it's quiet but I can go out and find many many things going on if I want to.
    My girlfriend lives in a small town and recently she wanted to see a movie but it wasn't showing there yet. She asked me if it was showing here so I looked it up and told her "Yes it is. In 26 different theaters."

• Etude
    Etude

I've lived in NY City, in the country upstate NY, in a town (Middletown, NY), in another small town (Steamboat Springs, CO), in Newport Beach and Huntington Beach, CA, in a mid-size town (Oxnard, CA) and I've visited dozens of small towns in CO, PA, MA, AZ, OH, ME, NJ as well as fairly big cities like Durham, NC, Nashville, TN, Tampa, FL, Huntsville, AL, Dallas, TX, Phoenix and Tucson, AZ, plus a few others. Now, I live in another small town (relatively) of about 15,000 people. It's on the 101 corridor between L.A. and Santa Barbara, CA. California is quite different from the East. In the East, you generally know when you leave one town and enter the next. Here, as you enter the San Fernando Valley, unless you pay attention you won't know one town from another almost all the way to San Diego. It's a bit different after you go North (actually West) past Ventura. It's a bit more open.

I feel I have the best of both worlds. Santa Barbara is about 15 minutes away. It's not a huge metropolis, but it's very cosmopolitan and very quaint with its unique Spanish style architecture. I like the fact that where I live we only have three stop lights in the whole town. It's quiet and it's on the beach. L.A. is not that far (about 80 miles). It would normally take you an hour and a half to get there. But realistically, with the magnitude of traffic in Southern California, it could take 2 and half hours. I don't like going there much for that reason. In fact, because I lived in the country once, I would be happy to live in an isolated place. I can't because my wife is an extremely social person and she would feel lost.

I do like city living and sometimes miss the activity and availability of things to do. In California, things are spread out and you can't exists without a car, unless you live in L.A. proper. NYC has just about anything that you can imagine, from museums to every kind of restaurants, Broadway, exhibits, you name it. It also has a lot of crazy stuff happening and its just a bit too crowded for me. I like to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. That is, unless somebody paid me a lot of money.

Etude.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

For now I don't mind living in the "city" - City life is fast and one is pretty much always on the go. However when I get older and want to "settle" down I'd like to move to the country & have a smallholding with a cow that wears a bell, a few chickens, grow my own veggies.

I'd like to raise my family in the country as I feel all this technology and that steals their childhood away from them & kids don't know what it's like to really play anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit