Generic thread about supernatural

by FMZ 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Some people can exaggerate their experiences or say that every creak of the stairs in their house is a ghost. The ones who go to extremes, labelling everything "supernatural" are the ones who invite the skeptic's ridicule. However, if we test ourselves and subject our own experiences to scrutiny then we can really identify the truly meaningful experiences that cannot be explained away by a skeptic. E.g. did others experience it at the same time (or at different times but without communication between them until after the experience)? did the experience reveal something previously not known (something that it was not possible to have known beforehand)? was the information specific enough not be interpreted lots of different ways? after the event, did you discover any external confirmations of the experience as being genuine (e.g. a specific symbol or set of words was used which later can be investigated in books etc.) etc.

There are experiences which meet the above criteria and skeptics try their best to argue it was some sort of group hypnosis or hallucination, etc. but their explanations seem pretty feeble....like "you changed your memory after the event" to which I reply....so did everyone else also change their memory? Did the people I told after the event change their memory of what I said back then?

Each experience needs to be considered on its own. However, I'd also like to say that those experiences which are experienced by someone alone and which don't necessarily meet the skeptics "tests" are still often valid for the individual and the individual can decide what significance it has for them. The only thing I'd say is if you've had such an experience which you cannot prove, don't go around expecting everyone else to believe you.

Sirona

• Quotes
    Quotes

(Quotes rolls his eyes upon reading some of the fundamental misunderstandings about what science is and what a skeptic is -- or at least what a skeptic should be)

(Quotes then goes back to his regular day, where everything he sees and touches is a result of Science and Applied Science, and is thankful he is not living in the Dark Ages, when religion ruled the planet and superstition kept humans from advancing beyond the level of Chimps)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

OK Quotes lets take you through this step by step.

I assume 1) you accept E=mc^2

and also 2) E=hf where h is Planks constant and f is the frequency - I prefer that rather than the Greek letter mu

so therefore mc^2 = hf - so you have a mathematical equation linking frequency and velocity (and if you replace one of the c by f x lambda - beacuse velocity = frequency x wavelength) also wavelength with mass. So energy can actually manifest itself as an object and materialize - using two darlimgs of quantum science -Albert Einstein and Max Plank - now I admit I have not takemn Heisenbergs uncertainty princip[le or Wolfgang Pauli into the mix but Ithink you can see how a

PILE OF ENERGY CAN MATERIALIZE A FORM

How is that?

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

What was the event?

• FMZ
    FMZ

Stilla... that was as anti-generic as it comes mate. I like it :). Now, does it actually mean anything / did you just copy and paste it / where did you learn all that? :P

FMZ

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

FMZ I will PM you

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

There is still significant JW type thinking on this board, such as thinking in terms of believing in:

science or religion

christianity or evolution

These are of course straw men.

Once almost everything was unexplained, and therefore nearly everything was 'supernatural'. All these supernatural beliefs have gradually diminished, but only due to scientific progress - nothing else! What we now consider to be foolish superstition, has only been relegated to that because of what scientists have learned. Think about it, everything you take for granted today, from electricity to how your PC works, is down to what scientists have discovered! A;; just theories of course, so it must all be nonsense!?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    The annoying thing with science is when they cannot prove something they turn around and say it doesn't exist! isn't that a bit hypocritical

evan,

this shows a lack of knowledge regarding scientific method. science is not concerned with proving the unprovable. falsifying the unfalsifiable. it simply does not work that way.

if there is nothing to latch onto, there is nothing to latch onto. to say that science will eventually one day vindicate the supernatural (because right now we know crap all), is the epitome of wishful thinking.

TS

• loosie
    loosie

Ok a long time ago. People who said the earth was not flat and that the earth revolved around the sun were crazy. Science has now proven those crazy people right.

So is it a matter of time, before we figure these things out?

I personaly can tell what song will be played on the radio next. I also once avoided a car accident by telling myself what was around the blind corner.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral
    (event which happened to me that I do not feel that science can explain)

(asking for other possible explanations)

(event which I really don't want explained scientifically)

(violate confidence of imaginary friend)

(garish signature)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit