Your scariest or funniest 'out in service' stories!

by out of the box 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Funniest

I was on service with an elder who for all his faults was hillarious; his cheek and hardfaced humour got him into so much trouble it was unreal; this one particular Sunday afternoon we were out on a nice estate and we knocked on this womans patio doors; she came into the patio door area but wouldnt open it. She asked us (and we could only just hear) what we wanted; the elder said at the top of his voice that a cup of tea and some cake would be fantastic thanks...to which she looked shocked and bemused; I just stood there gobsmacked and dying to laugh.

She said she couldnt answer the door as it was locked...(bless her she must have been scared) and the elder only goes and asks (again at the top of his voice) whether she would like to buy a key??? I was by now unable to stop laughing and tried to drag him off...eventually she came round the front of the house from the back to see what we wanted further...he explained and still asked for a cup of tea and some cake...naturally she refused and shooed us down the path...talk about laugh...some out of embarassment but mostly because of his cheek.

Scariest

I was about 6 years old and was on field service with my mother and we got invited in to a house where two men lived alone, she rather naively accepted the invitation and I remember the atmosphere being really tense, she tried presenting the bollocks that was hot topic for the month but they kept changing the subject and it was clear that it wasnt the JW message they were interested in. I was oblivious but remember that they were trying to get me to upstairs and play with their dog and leave my mother downstairs; I had this sense that things were not right and stayed put where I was...not that I had a choice as my mother had the tightest grip on me I had ever felt. We were stuck there for 2 hours, in that atmosphere and even though the memories are hazy I remembering being very afraid. - we got out in the end.

DB74

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

LOL! My God! I would have died working why that elder! Wow! I think I would have just walked away when he got started like that. So you lot are aloud to go knock at the patio door? It's a big no-no over here. Or was it just that particular elder's way?lol

I'm kind of lucky I never had a scary experience like those...the only weird thing I remember was that time (I think I was 10)...I told my parents I felt sick before we left the house, but they wouldn't beleive me (...yeah, I did fake sometimes, lol) That morning when we got out from an appartement block I just vomitted all over their lawn.lol My dad was mortified..lol..I was thinking...HA! Told you so!

Oh, I also remember that scary-looking house, nobody wanted to go there, all kinds of JW urban legends circulating about it. It was small and kind of going to seeds...with a sort of little tower on the side painted in black, with dark windows. There was an occult book shop inside and a lady lived there too (A psychic, I think). I was fascinated by it as a young girl. Not scared, I love passing in front of it, felt like I was in some scary movie.lol Now I live near that house and I smile eveytime I pass by.

• aniron
    aniron

Scariest

Not much really usually dogs barking at me. The little ones are the worse. Had buckets of water thrown at me. A few guys have threatened me.

But as we all know we went away happy because we were being persecuted because of Jehovah's name.

Funniest

Theres been a few funny incidents. Looks like most people got the naked guy at the door one. I remember calling on one house and young guy open the door but just sticks his head round. I make my presentation and we chat for about 5-10 minutes. It was obvious that he was naked. How did I know the door had a full length glass panel, with a pattern, but mostly clear. I always used to think why isi t always guys that come to the door naked, never a woman. Well I never got one!

The most "embarrassing and shocking" but funny one, was when I was working some flats. Came to a door could hear someone inside laughing. Knocked on door, it is opened by naked guy, nothing new there. Except it was a JW, even worse a Min Servant, who I knew, age about 25, from the sister congregation that shared the same KH with my cong. We looked at each other, me with big smile on face. He goes "Oh God, No!" With that another steps out of room behind him and says "Whats wrong XXX" This person is also naked, a young JW brother aged about 17/18 from my congregation. I look at them both and say "Well this is a nice surprise" with the biggest grin on my face. WIth that the guy pulls me in and closes the door behind me. The young guy is now trying to get dressed. "Oh God, please don't tell anyone he says" I say "Why should I do that, I don't care what you do. I'm not telling anyone. It will be our secret" . With that I left them. It was fun watching that MS giving talks and going on about "How clean Jehovahs organisation is" then giving him a big smile, ruined many of his talks doing that.

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    Let me preface this by saying that I have a fear of grasshoppers, no other bugs just them. I was working unassigned territotiry and we were at a farm in the middle of nowhere. The "sister" I was with was talking to a farmer in his mid 40's and having a fairly nice conversation when a grasshopper flew down the front of my dress. I started screaming and flapping my dress up and down trying to get the grasshopper out, but it appeared to be stuck in my bra. At first the farmer was startled but then as I ran around the lawn trying to get it out of my dress he started laughing, then she started laughing, and by the time the grasshopper flew out of my dress we were all in tears. Stupid brother in the car tried to counsel me about my actions at the door bringing reproach on Jehovah.

you had me laughing with tears running down my face with that one, slapstick humour at its best... LMAO

Funniest: Two doors in a row gave me something to luagh about... I was once on a door with an elder, and this West Indian woman with a dish-cloth came to the door and i gave her my presentation... She stopped me short and dramatically said something like "I am a memba of di Born Again, Baptist Church of God of Apostolic Faith in Jesus Christ our Lord and i am saved once for all time by the blood of the Lamb!!"... i just burst out laughing in front of her but quickly said sorry and left the door... The elder i was working with didnt find it funny but asked me if i had got back my composure before i did the next door.

The next door, this gooorgeous guy answers in his boxers... He asks us what we think of homosexuals. The elder told him, "i can see we caught you at an awkward moment, could we come back another time to discuss that?"... (Being gay myself and about 14/15 years old at the time, and failing miserably to avoid looking at this man's fantastic body, i took the Bible i was holding, used it as a "fig-leaf" to cover my own "stirrings"). I still hadn't recovered from the hilarity of the previous door, so, not giving the man enough time to accept the proposed return visit, i looked him squarely in the face, blurted out "we love them, but not their practices!!" then again burst out in uncontrolled hysterics. The gay guy at the door thought i was laughing at him, and he slammed the door...

• muse
    muse

Funniest: It was Xmas Eve (really horrid time to be out 'in service') and a little old lady asked me and my friend in (we were both 17 at the time), she was obviously lonely and wanted a chat. Anyway, as it was cold she asked us if we wanted a brandy or two to 'warm us up'. After several brandies and at least an hour later we emerged, wobbling badly to find our respective Dad's waiting for us. They had been getting very excited at the thought we may have a prospective 'study' looming as we had been asked in. Their faces were a picture when it dawned on them what had actually happened.

Scariest: Out in Service with Dad and we go up a long drive to a very big house. The owner answers the door with a shotgun and three extremely large and loudly barking dogs being restrained on leads. He gave us three minutes to get off his property or he would set the dogs on us. I have never moved so fast in my life!!

• out of the box
    out of the box

I have enjoyed reading all these great stories! Thanks for sharing!

out of the box

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

My scariest, tho I was too young and naive to be scared, was when my parents dropped me off on Saturday mornings to study with the children on my mother's study, Rose R. The grandfather started being in the house also, lying in the back bedroom and calling for me to come "see him." I was a skinny girl of 15, and he was a huge dude in his 50's, drooling over a porkchop! Never occurred to my parents this might not be a good situation to drop your virgin daughter off to!

My funniest was when an odd brother in his 40's, never married was in our cargroup and somebody had to work this house where a known gay man lived. Brother L. blushed and protested, but went to the house. Strangely, he was inside forever! And did many return visits, too, and they lasted for a couple hours! Must've been well received, lol!

• blondie
    blondie

Scariest

Dogs/geese attacks

The man with the gun

The man/woman who started speaking in tongues

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

Scariest

I was assigned to work with one of the elders sons. I was about 23 the boy was about 15. We were invited into this house and I instructed B to leave his bag at the door in case anyone wondered where we had gone and they could see it. We were invited to sit down and I began my presentation. As I was delivering it the householder left the room and came back carrying a rifle. It was the first gun I had ever seen! Whilst I calmly continued to give my presentation the guy kept moving something, I don't know if he was loading it or unloading or what the heck he was doing! He appeared like he was in a weird trance all the while the gun was pointed at us. B was sitting beside me and I could tell he was as scared and as intimidated as I was. So in a moment of inspiration I told the guy to go get me some money for the donation. He walked out of the room I grabbed B and we ran from the house. We picked up his bag and joined the group down the road. We explained what happened and the elder scolded us. For leaving the bag out the front. WHAAAAT??

Funniest

Taking another young girl on a return visit who would reliably take whatever I offered her. The poor old dear was quite senile and lonely. Anyway one day she opened the door compeltely startkers. The poor young girl was just revotled by it I was horrified... I told her to go inside and get back to bed and got out of their quick smart. I remember thinking thank goodness the new system is coming and i will never get old and have droopy breasts like that!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit