If you're vegetarian...look away..

by MidwichCuckoo 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Quentin
    Quentin

Possum...most vile thing I ever put in my mouth...frog legs are good

• Frog
    Frog

You're all beasts! Stop stuffing up the food chain peoples!!...people don't eat crocodiles and sharks, crocodiles and sharks eat peoples!

Don't get the whole exotic meat eating thing, meats meat, if you like eating it, remeber that there's someone out there who'd lick their chops at the sight of your dog rover, or your cat whiskers. You're all socially conditioned to believe that eating certain types of meat is conventional and normal.

Anyway, I'm hopping off my soapbox now, cause I know my pearls of vegetarian wisdom will get thrased (by ignorance;) on this thread. hehe.

I've eaten homemade tofu, yams and fufu in West Africa...pea pastizzi on Malta...buffalo cheese pizza in Roma & Napoli...chinese noodles in Hong Kong...pad thai noodles with lime in Thailand (oh yum)...vegie bangers & mash in britain...Croissants in France...

Frog x post script: how long before some wise guy says he's chewed on Frogs legs!

• Frog
    Frog

lol Quentin, you just did!!

• G Money
    G Money

I was at a ranch is southern Costa rica and was eating this interesting but good meat. When I asked what it was, they said conejo. I asked again and they said the same thing. I said tell me the english word and they said Rabbit. I guess I really didn't want to hear the answer.

• Frog
    Frog

btw everyone...give my regards to the 5pounds of undigested meat lining your digestive tracksLove & hugs Frog x

• nilfun
    nilfun

Wow, I had a similarly horrifying experience with a brother and his family raising rabbits for food. At the time, we hadn't a clue that that was why they were raising them. We thought they were pets, and no one tried to disavow us of that notion.

We were invited to dinner and of course, we children were NOT told that the cute little bunnies we were looking at were what we were going to be eating. The brother selected a bunny and tried to bully us into whacking it on the head with a rolling pin -- we very confused and in tears. Disgusted at our wimpiness, he finally took the rabbit away and brained it right in front of us. (bad memories of this guy and his spawn -- don't know if he is still an elder or even alive at this point.)

I think it was supposed to be an exercise in toughening us kids up.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

We have a black swan problem here, so one day a year there is a swan shoot. Anyone is welcome to help themselves to the huge pile af carcases down at the boat ramp. I have never bothered to get one as I didn't think they would be any good, but I'm told by the hunters that they are good eating, so I am going out with them next time and will bring some home.

Most unusual?

A myna bird I shot, then cooked over a fire on the beach with my mates. Not much of it to go around.

Manatee. Called dugong in Oz, a protected species. Much like beef.

Possum. Yuk. Apparently I did everything wrong that you can possibly do wrong. Big old males are not good, especially if you don't cut their nuts out when you kill them.

In NZ we have huhu grubs, which are probably related to the Ozzie witchety grub. Very nice.

I have aquired a taste for fresh fish liver, which comes in quite handy when you are out fishing for longer than you expected. They are quite sweet, but once they are cooked they are horrible. I just make sure my mates aren't watching. Mind you, they are only too happy to slurp down large quantities of raw oysters that look like spoonfulls of snot.

Sea slugs, beche de mer

If we are having broccoli/cabbage I never leave a caterpillar on the side of my plate, even if I am on a vegetarian diet. B12 can be a problem for vegetarians so I would not attempt to stay, long term, on a vegetarian diet of commercially produced, bug free veggies. I'm not into washing my salads either. I just don't look too closely at what I am eating.

Many of the things I thought were unusual, many of you have tried too, so I won't list them.

I have never managed to try a durian. They are big and smelly and I couldn't exactly jump in a taxi and take one back to the hotel for everyone to enjoy I am sure I'll get another chance.

• Frog
    Frog
    We have a black swan problem here, so one day a year there is a swan shoot.

We had a huge fruit bat problem at our cities botanical gardens in Melbourne and there was talk of culling, until some genuis came up with the idea to drive around the park with a megaphone all night for a couple of weeks, and the bats dispersed and they never came back

...needless to say this country still culls thousands of skippy roos per year.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Wow - just got here and what a brilliant read - thanks for all your responses!!!

Billygoat - alligator (tasted like fish with a chicken texture), - yes, that's how I remember it, but fish that had gone a tad 'off'

Bryan- what's 'swamp rabbit'?

Carol - lol, my son cried too (he was about 8 ) when I told him it was a budgie (quail)

Richie - have always fancied squirrel (I should have taken the opportunity while at Center Parcs). Have eaten deer - reindeer, springbok - but I'd really like to try MUNTJAC. tried Bison and thought it too strong a taste.

Katie - Got to hand it to you, a brave thing to admit. Very wise to go all the way to America to avoid anyone you know seeing you eat at a McDonalds! I live quite too near a McDonalds, and it's like the Pied Piper to the kids around here.

Frog - you WERE warned, lol

• Carol
    Carol

Frog - I agree with midwich...you were warned......now what do your little green legs look like?????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit