No Gay Marriage for Iran

by truthseeker 10 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

While gay Canadian's celebrate their new "marriage rights", there is no such celebration of anything gay in Iran.

It's interesting to see the extreme contrast between how gay people are treated in the West as opposed to the Middle East.

Report: Iran Gay Teens Executed by 365Gay.com Newscenter Staff

Posted: July 21, 2005 11:00 am ET

(London) Two teenagers have been executed after a religious court found them them guilty of homosexuality according to pro-Democracy groups.

The Iranian Students News Agency reports that the executions took place on July 19 in the northeastern city of Mashhad.

One teen, ISNA says was 18, the other was a minor, believed to be 16 or 17. The organization ran a picture of what it said was the execution on its Web site.

The English language Iran In Focus also reported the executions, saying the teens were hanged in public in the city square. It quotes sources as saying the teens were executed for having sex with another minor but this could not be confirmed. The report does not name the victim. Under Sharia law the victim of a sexual assault must also be executed.

Both news services say that prior to their execution, the teenagers were held in prison for 14 months, severely beaten and given the lash 228 times.

A report of the executions was also carried on the website of the respected democratic opposition movement, The National Council of Resistance Of Iran.

Ruhollah Rezazadeh, the lawyer for the younger teen reportedly had appealed the death sentence but the Supreme Court in Tehran ordered him to be hanged.

Under the Iranian penal code, girls as young as nine and boys as young as 15 can be hanged.

Three other young gay Iranians are reportedly being hunted by police, but they are said to have gone into hiding and cannot be found. If caught, they would also face execution.

The British LGBT rights group OutRage has called for sanctions against Iran. The organization has called for western states to break off diplomatic relations, impose trade sanctions and treat Iran as "a pariah state".

"This is just the latest barbarity by the Islamo-fascists in Iran,” said OutRage spokesperson Peter Tatchell.

"The entire country is a gigantic prison, with Islamic rule sustained by detention without trial, torture and state-sanctioned murder.

"According to Iranian human rights campaigners, over 4,000 lesbians and gay men have been executed since the Ayatollahs seized power in 1979," said Tatchell.

Iran In Focus reports that members of Iran’s parliament are applauding the court for carrying out the death sentence on the teens.

"These individuals were corrupt. Their sentence was carried out with the approval of the judiciary and it served them right,” the publication quotes Ali Asgari, a member of the Majlis Party Legal Affairs Committee.

At least three men have been sentenced over the past month to death by stoning in Nigeria which also follows Sharia law in several provinces. (story)

In March a gay couple was beheaded in a public execution in Saudi Arabia. (story) The pair had been convicted of killing a blackmailer who had threatened to expose them to authorities. Hundreds of other gays have been rounded up by Saudi authorities in recent months. (story)
  • Heatmiser
    Heatmiser

And this is a shocker? Iran is a country run by Muslims. They inforce thier religion to the extreme on anybody in thier grasp.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

Under Sharia law the victim of a sexual assault must also be executed.

Hmmm .Tragically believable.There will be no 72 Virgins waiting for these bastard Mullahs/Ayatollahs when they thankfully snuff it.

As an aside, I find Peter tatchell to be a Man of contrasts.I hate his in your Face public "outings"but i totally respect his determination on the Human Rights issue Gay or otherwise ..remember when he got beaten up by that syphallitic Bastard Mugabes henchmen for confronting Him with some unpalatable facts?

For a Dweeby effeminate little Fag,that Guy has got immense Balls!

• Spook
    Spook

Not at all to support Iran, since I started a thread with this same story yesterday, but I do want to expand the issue beyond the E/W view. In reality it has nothing to do with geography. My post heading was "Theocracy: When religion has its way."

This conduct is the same as that proposed by many fundamentalists elsewhere in the world from biblical morality. The dividing line for me is not Islam vs. Christianity. It is secular governance vs. theocratic governance.

• upside/down
    upside/down
    It is secular governance vs. theocratic governance.

Amen!

Rev. u/d

• rebel8
    rebel8

I'm speechless.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Certainly not surprising to me. I agree about the theocracy btw.

Sherry

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Under the Iranian penal code, girls as young as nine and boys as young as 15 can be hanged.

so, I guess under their law boys ages 9-14 have more value than girls... what a bunch of WACKOS!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I truly would like to be understanding and tolerant of Iran/fundamenatlist Islam but this is so sick I do not understand or want to tolerate it

• Krystal
    Krystal

This is the kind of news that just makes u feel sick... this is what extremist religion does to people... it is disguting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit