My 11-year-old daughter is having migraines!

by cruzanheart 36 Replies latest jw friends

• orion
    orion

Everyone in my family on my moms side gets migraines.i'm the lucky one I guess. i have only had 2 in my whole life but i get the zig zags and the flashes with out the pain. i had cramps really, really bad when I started my period....i had to be put on meds (Anaprox) to help the pain and they also put me on birth control to help with my hormones.....my cramps would hurt so bad i would vomit the first three days of my cycle. Now that I've had kids I don't have them so bad anymore. I'm so sorry your daughter is going through this....make sure she drinks lots of water... that is what has helped my family the most...although my mom does take imetrex to help. Good luck

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel
    He's the only sane one in the house right now, poor darling!

lol, and the dogs!

• talesin
    talesin

Just want to send best wishes to Jenny. Migraine is the worse! Mine have almost (x fingers) gone, and I keep meds in the house `just in case`... as soon as I see that aura, BOOM --- knock it out. MSG seems to trigger migraine in a lot of folks, but for me, it`s from inside. Good luck with it! She is growing into puberty with understanding parents, and that is so great. :) Ah, 10 years from now, you can heave a sigh of relief.

t

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hi Nina,

Just a couple of months ago some news came out that in some people migraines may be linked to the presence of a common heart defect called PFO.

Here's a link, it is worth checking out.

http://forrelease.com/D20050116/1162495.html

I know people with migraines who have found both over-the-counter feverfew herb and prescription Imitrex to be helpful.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

looks similar to my daughter - Viv

at the moment she is 27 and still having headache but, now she got sandomigran and that seems to help.

Nina, my headache was over when I got my menopause.

my sympathie for you.....

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

(((((Jennie and household))))))

I get migraines during that time of the month too. There for awhile it was every month. But now that my stress-load has lightened, it's not as often. I've only experienced the tunnell-vision once. Every other time, it's the nauseousness that clues me in to it not being a "normal" headache. Then I only have about 20 minutes before I need to take 3 Advil (Liquigels work FAST!) and hit a cold dark bedroom. Cold compresses work well too. Once I sleep for a few hours, the pain is hidden in my sleep and I wake up with a slight hung-over feeling. My head doesn't have pain, but it feels bound in a large wad of cotton.

For some reason Imitrex doesn't work. Maxalt works much better, but I don't always have those around. Advil Liquigels work well as Maxalt for me.

Andi

PS: Chris, I'll be praying for you.

• outnfree
    outnfree

((((Nina, Jenny, Chris, and Jackson)))) and (((dogs)))

My migraines began early and were always hormone related. I still get a few now, but they are very rare. Usually I seemed to get them every OTHER month, so perhaps one ovary's eggs/process was more likely to screw up my hormones?!?? Anyway, after many years of Advil & hiding in a dark room, avoiding food smells that made the nausea worse, I hit upon this cure: 1 Extra Strength Tylenol, 1 regular Aspirin, and some caffeine. (These are the ingredients in Excedrin Migraine, btw, but it is much more expensive than just combining the other three. Half a can of pop is enough.) This works only after you know you're getting the migraine, and Jenny's tunnel vision is her clue, but before it becomes full blown. Problem is, Jenny is probably not likely to be allowed to have aspirin yet. So my best advice is to see what the gynocologist advises. I never felt a correlation with food. If I were to get a migraine, it was always on the 2nd day of my menses. If I made it past day two, I was "safe."

Good luck and much empathy!

Love, Brenda

• Carol
    Carol

Hey Brenda, great to see your post! Trust you're feeling a little better?

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

I suffered for years with migraines, flashing in my eyes for about 20min then the 24 hour headache whata killer. Ive discovered through the years these were brought on by food (in my case) blue cheese, macadamia nuts, and peanuts on a empty stomach. Instant migrane

Ematrex did nothing for me, a neuraologist recommened 800 mil of Motrin. when the light flashing begins that seemed to help the pressure. Ive had CAT scans with dye and showed nothing. I think I might be past them now, havent had one in about 6mo. I believe in my case its the food.

• juni
    juni

Hi Nina,

My daughter who is 30 now had migraines when she was in 5th grade. Awful pain. Went to bed in the dark

and was out of it for a few days. Could have been stress related. A neurologist gave her med - vasodialator (enlarges the blood vessels). She pretty much had to ride them out. She got the vision disturbance and once was riding her bike when her visual field got dark and she fell off her bike onto the road. I ran to her and she had blacked out for a few seconds. Helped her home and she went to bed. Kept an eye on her. She still gets them off and on but not to the degree that she did when she was younger. Wish you the best with this. Juni

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit