My 11-year-old daughter is having migraines!

by cruzanheart 36 Replies latest jw friends

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    For some reason Imitrex doesn't work. Maxalt works much better, but I don't always have those around. Advil Liquigels work well as Maxalt for me.

Imitrex doesn't work for me either. Maxalt worked, but I could hardly beathe when I took it. I have to take around 6-8 Advil; I think it's excessive, but that's what the doctors told me: "What? 4 Advil didn't work? Well, take 6" and so on.

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

My daughter was 11 when she got her first migrane, I was 10. I took my daughter to the emergency room, just for peace of mind and to rule anything else out, they did a cat scan on her which showed negative, and sent her home with basically advil.

Migranes are hereditary, both my parents had them, my sister and I, and unfortunately now, my daughter. I've learned that you have to catch a migrane at it's beginning and be aware of all the onset signs, that's the best way to stop it in its tracks, otherwise no pain medication is going to do anything if you wait until it's full blown. I've been to the emergency room twice in the past 2 years vomitting from the pain....I felt real nice after I left I don't know what was in the IV but I was lov'n everyone.

Good luck with your daughter, hope she feels better.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I remember several years ago going to a migraine awareness seminar. The celebrity speaker was Susan Olsen, who played Cindy on The Brady Bunch. She had terrible migraines on the set during her years on the show. She said at the end of every week, they had a wrap party. She could never go because she was in bed with a horrible headache. I also saw her on Larry King Live recently talking about her migraine problem. She's almost 44 and still gets them. Is this a lifelong problem with some folks?

• caligirl
    caligirl

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that. It is miserable to have migraines. I have had them since I was 13 or so. I have gone through times where I would have them every week (times of great stress) I get more around my period... all stuff eveyone has been saying. Mine also seem to be triggered by drastic weather changes and allergies as well.

They have found that tension headaches and migraines are related, and I have RX's for a tension headache medicine ( Midrin) and Maxalt. Without fail, if I don't catch the tension headache in time, it becomes a migraine. I find ice packs over my eyes and the back of my neck, and laying down in a dark room is the best- ideally with a medication, but even without that, the icepacks and dark room does wonders.

I hope that you find something for her that works from all the suggestions that you are getting here!

• Soledad
    Soledad

Sorry to hear that she's having those headaches. I've had only a few migraines, thank goodness. They are so painful. I found that certain foods would trigger mine----sugary snacks, chocolate and certain cheeses. So watch what she is eating carefully and see if any one thing she eats triggers the headache. She should really cut down on sugar anyway; too much can make her prone to yeast infections.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I used to get 'em when I was about 13-16 years old. I don't recall where I heard this, but room-temperature Diet Coke sipped slowly used to get rid of them every time. I figured out that chocolate was the culprit, and havn't had one since. It worked for me, I guess it's worth a try.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I'm so sorry she is having these!! I have gone through this and it is scary. Sure hope you can get some help for her!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit