witnoid weddings

by katiekitten 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

When I was a kid weddings in the troof were a big deal. Probably because they were the main if not only excuse for a knees up.

If someone was getting married they were not in control of the decisions about the reception. There was probably an eldresses reception committee that you had to apply to for permission to get married in the first place. Once permission was granted then the steamroller that was the 'Jehovahs Witness Wedding' began.

For starters every English northern town had gone into architectural competition at the turn of the 19th century to see which little piss poor place could produce the grandest Town Hall. Huge stone monuments to woollen mill success, these legacies were left as the last grand excess in the shitty run down towns of the 20th century.

You HAD to have your witness wedding reception at the Town Hall. Ours was Batley Town Hall. I remember some FREAK having their wedding reception at Wakefield Town Hall. God, it was AWFUL! I dont know how they could do it, and between you and me I dont think their marriage lasted. Yes, Batley Town Hall was the venue. The sisters committee didnt even need to vote on that. Neither did they need to spend more than 30 seconds discussing what food you would have, or who would make it.

Plagiarised from the assembly sandwich production lines, all the sisters would take over the bowels of the town hall and start one almighty wedding food line. It was just like Peter Kay says - a scooby doo repetition of vol-au-vonts, egg sandwiches, cheese and pineapple cocktail sticks, vol-au-vonts, egg sandwiches, cheese and pineapple cocktail sticks, vol-au-vonts ...

Next most important thing was that the WHOLE congregation were invited to the reception. All of 'em. Especially the old ladies and weirdy people. What would a wedding be without weirdy people? Every tressle table was utilised in this extraveganza of nubial celebration, and every length of 54" wide table cloth style paper. No expense was spared. Seating plans were laboriously detailed, to ensure that everyone was sat nexto someone they didnt get on with. Most important of all was the TOP table. It had almost 'holy of holy' status when I was a kid. It was where the Bride and Groom, and a few close relatives would sit, like emperors of the realm. They got to choose their egg sandwiches FIRST! It was a hell of a priviledge.

But most fun was the entertainment. It was like a working mens club without the smoking and the blue jokes. First of all came the meaningful ministerial servant who was best friends with the groom and could play the guitar. He'd sit on the stage (yes all northern town halls have a stage) on a stool with one leg crossed over the other, guitar rested on leg, twanging the most romaintic kingdom melodies he could muster. Then he'd throw in a bit of 'The Shadows' for all the young guns, just to prove that even Mini's can still be cool. And he'd finish off with a middle of the road ballard to make all the mums cry.

Next came the 'game show' copy. Mr and Mrs, or The Generation Game. Another ministerial servant would take up the microphone and pretend to be Ted Rogers of Larry Grayson, and pit couples against each other, always remembering to let the newly weds win.

All the presents would be piled up on a table to one side. The kids would be sniffing round trying to work out what cheap crap was wrapped up in all that 3 sheets for £1 wrapping paper from Batley market.

Finally the happy couple would go off together for what the WHOLE congregation knew was their first shag. Nods, winks, sniggers, and wistful sighs were exchanged while the bride and groom tried really hard not to literally RUN for the exit desperate for that forbidden pleasure AT LAST.

Once they had gone there was not much else to do if you were a kid, other than ride up and down in the lift, try and get the balloons down from the walls, fight other kids for their balloons, eat all the suggared almonds that the old ladies couldnt eat because their false teeth fixative wouldnt cope with the nut in the middle, eat all the icing off the cake left by all the adults, throw up, get spanked, cry and go home.

Happy days.

• rebel8
    rebel8

You are hilarious. Once again, you have made my afternoon. Due to our language barrier (hahaha), I didn't understand a few things:

excuse for a knees up (Is that what you do in bomb drills?)

cheese and pineapple cocktail sticks (Please tell me you don't eat cheese and pineapple together. Ew.)

vol-au-vonts (I have no idea what that is, but if it's anything like the last snack, no thanks.)

Our local weddings were equally as tacky/boring but a bit different. They were usually catered. We did not have JWs singing or playing games either. There was usually a JW who volunteered to be the DJ and would play the same dozen or so songs that were on the approved list. (Yes, there was an actual list of songs preapproved by the elders.) The elders would tell the DJ to turn the music down at least 5 times. Between episodes of bossing the DJ around, they played the role of Dancing Police. They'd stand on the side of the dance floor and even patrol through it to ensure no one was thrusting their pelvis too much or dancing too close to a member of the opposite sex.

JW weddings were Thee Social Event of the Century. Bridal showers ran a close second. This is where things got truly wierd. My cong was so sexually repressed, yet they put all that aside for bridal showers. Sistas would give racy lingerie and giggle their heads off when it was opened and passed around. One sista would always wrap up a box of chocolate covered cherries to embarass the bride--you get the symbolism of the cherries, I'm sure. Lots of giggles each time the box was opened.

Sistas loved showers because it was Thee Opportunity to Wear Pants Once this Century. They would all go shopping for new fancy pants outfits and show them off to each other. Then there was the competition to see who got the best gift for the bride.

Like you said, good times.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

weddings remembered..

pioneer partners...his wifes veil blew off in the wind...into a tree...a high tree...someone got it back though

pioneer partners wifes pioneer partner...ran out of food..i had to go to the chip shop after spending half an hour in the queue at the reception

mine...hired a community centre and a bros team of caterers..for a cooked meal but didnt realise the kitchen wasnt included...had to break in

every wedding had to have zorba the greek

took a few weddings in my time...some of them are still together i believe

best one was an ms in my hall who i had studied with..(fatherless boy)..who was marrying a merry can girl...he asked me to do it because the elder assigned to do weddings in our hall was a bully and nobody liked him...so i did all the prep inc all the legal stuff..much to the annoyance of the p.o. bully who lied to me about it being allowed but thought i would just accept that without looking into it myself..terry senior..idiot..and then i went on holiday...came back to a message on my answering machine saying that he couldnt be married in the kingdom hall...turns out that he had arranged to go out the weekend before with a handful of bros from the kh inc other ms...and a crowd of young guys from all over the circuit had got wind of it and dragged him into the street stripped him and wrapped him in cling film...despite his protests.

so for that he was not allowed to have the kh unless he waited for 6 months but all the merrycan relatives were already over...so i married them in my spare room privately and then again at the reception the next day...dont think they have ever fully recovered..

ironically all those who were responsible for the practical joke...have all got married in the kh

and just 2 weeks before when a similar thing happened to a bro whose wedding was going to be taken by the bullying p.o..it all got swept under the carpet

good times

• anewme
    anewme

OHMYGODHOWFUNNY!!!!!!
    This had me laughing so hard!!!!
    Brought back sooooo many memories of Witness weddings---especially those back in the early 70s!
    My own wedding was a congregation effort too in the early 80s. Hokey. Butcher paper banners. Rented doofy ancient old community house, and yes with a wooden old stage..and upright old piano!!!
    Being poor young pioneers (with no money or education)my fiancee and I could not afford a big shindig.
    Never mind that neither of us wanted a big wedding, but Sister Social Organizer insisted due to our popularity we should let her throw us a big one. (Now I see that the congregations needed a late August get together)
    Today I see how much power I actually posessed to have this very important day of my life MY WAY.
    But then, I was programmed to put others first----even on my wedding day.
    Food was donated by the 300 guests (several congregations were invited). Potato salad, little weiners on toothpicks, kind of spicy meatballs, three bean, jello........
    A brother and sister made the cake. Someone forgot the music.
    My worldly father, dressed in his best suit, got incensed when my new Witness mother in law asked him to take out the garbage and help a little. They never spoke again to each other.....EVER.

It turned out to be the hottest day of the year.

Anyway, the good news is my second wedding held two months ago in lovely May was absolutely the way I wanted it!
    I had it where I wanted it! My dress was exactly what I dreamed. My guests were only those I wanted to celebrate with. And the groom was so handsome with his long blonde pony tail! A dream come true!
    Friends, there is LIFE and LOVE after disfellowshipping!!!!

And thanks to you all MANY LAUGHS TOO!!!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ROFL. kattie,

seems that witnoid weddings are the same everywhere. the guitar playing MS was too funny.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    For example, disturbing things have been reported about weddings that were not at the Kingdom Hall. Prior to one, loud music was played, and the bride, groom and their party came dancing into the hired hall. The guests joined in the dancing until a chairman interrupted so that, after prayer, the wedding talk could commence. Clearly, that was not the proper atmosphere for a Christian wedding. It does illustrate, however, why the elders exercise care as to Kingdom Hall weddings. At the Hall, only uplifting music, such as found in the songbook of Jehovah’s Witnesses, is used. Any flowers or similar decorations should be modest and reasonable, as should be the way the wedding party enters the Hall and the way photographs are taken.
    In one wedding all the bridesmaids walked down the aisle fanning themselves. The next wedding had to outdo the first, so the bridesmaids walked down the aisle twirling umbrellas. The next had to be bigger and better; they wanted twenty bridesmaids and twenty ushers. The hall was starting to be used as a circus."

was anyone here at any of these weddings

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Oooooh! Yes, I think we can all relate to that!

They were mostly all like that, but I distinctly remember two exceptions...Once when I was very young, this pionner couple (poor, of course) asked to have their wedding ceremony and reception in the basement of our house. I remember thinking I never wanted to have my wedding in someone elses' basement. (Or have one of those insipid songs play during the ceremony...ugh)) I remember vividly our mother teaching us how to make kleenex roses to decorate the plastic table that would hold the "buffet".lol Kind of pitiful....

And there was that one, completly on the opposite. They clebrated it in a very expensive restaurant, and every guest was to pay for their dinner. That eliminated all the not so rich JWs in one clever stroke. The couple got a few dirty looks after that one.lol

• Grace
    Grace

It's true that the organization takes over the wedding. I have mentioned this before... I brought my stepdaughter back from the brink of death when she was a pre-teen anorexic and her Pioneer mother wanted nothing to do with her. I raised the kid as my own. But I was kicked out of the wedding - her mother came strolling up the aisle of the KH like she actually did something to benefit the child!

Now, because I am DA'ed, I am completely shunned. And it angers me that the girl didn't tell her new fanatical JW husband that it was ME who saved her life! Or, if she did tell, he is too stupid to recognize the significance of life-saving.

Grace

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's good to know that these zombies can at least on some occasions loosen up and enjoy life with some entertainment.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i just remembered i went to a wedding as a df-ed person...

it was a wedding i would have been taking...young pioneer ms who was an ms because i wouldnt let the rest of the body of elders ignore him...

someone ran into his car 2 hours after he had passed his test and he came into his house while i was there, crying and shaking and his elder dad asked him about the damage to the car..so i held him

many was the time he would phone me crying because of his frustration at not being treated as an adult

i went to his wedding ....and he ushered me out of the kingdom hall

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit