witnoid weddings

by katiekitten 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• pratt1
    pratt1

Interesting topic.

Before I left the "troof" I had been in 19 weddings, 3 times the best man and once the groom.

I can tell you many stories about weddings but, my own reception was held in a catered hall (for those of you in NY - The Huntington Townhose), the food was about $45 per plate, and we invited 300 people.

I should have seen throught the troof at this age but I was still blind. In my hall each wedding became a competetion and with the bar being raised each time. The winner was who could spend the most money, Both my parents and my in-laws were caught up in the game and no expense was spared.

We received $15,000 in money from gifts from the invitees - most came from my co workers and relatives, but prominent Dub families were pretty generous since they had children of marraige age and they expected the gesture to be recipricated.

We had a beautiful Honey moon in Hawaii and guess what? The marraige lasted for a year.

What an expense lesson for the parents - STUPID!

• Etude
    Etude

katiekitten:

You sure can paint a picture. I've never been in England and I'm not familiar with the way things are done there, but I get it. I felt as if I'd witnessed it all. It funny and poignant.

My experience was quite different, although I never married in the JWs. I have two sisters, one older and one younger than I, and they had boyfriends at about the same time. They decided to have a double wedding. My sisters had never even dated anyone else (it was not allowed, and it was frowned in our Hispanic culture and at the KH), but on they went. My mother didn't plan everything, but she controlled a lot of it. My sisters weren't happy. My mother made the dresses. My parents paid for the whole thing, flowers, limos, reception. Coming from a Latin-American culture and living in N.Y. at the time, it was the rigour to have the reception at one of those facilities that were exclusively for parties, particularly weddings. It was a per-plate affair for nearly 75 people and, obviously, other people that attended the KH were not going to be invited over family and long time friends. We had the full service including a band.

Now, here's the kicker. My brother-in-law (who married my older sister) decided that he was going to put on a show. He didn't tell anyone including his new wife. What he did was to put on a biblical presentation like the ones they do at the assemblies, complete with costumes, pre-recorded dialog and music in the middle of the reception. Now, this place was good but it was essentially a big huge hall with some acoustic dividers (big huge folding doors) that separated or created other rooms. Next door, another wedding reception was going on. It was about that time we were going to get into it, you know, dancing to Salsa and Merengue and having drinks (most weddings I attended from the Spanish Congregation had music and good food), when out come trotting several people dressed in biblical garb mouthing off some unintelligible dialog that was being drowned by the talk of the people all around the room and the noise of the music from the party next door. I was so pissed!, my younger sister as well (she didn't know). I went to my older sister and asked her what the hell was going on and I could see the distress in her face. She was surprised too. Apparently, my brother-in-law did this not for her benefit, but for the benefit of his mother. What was he thinking? It wasn't her fricking wedding!

Yep, he hijacked the reception. Needless to say, we lost nearly 40 minutes putting up with that biblical drama crap. It wasn't appreciated by anyone that I talked to and the people there that were not Witnesses were, to say the least, not impressed. What an asshole! The band earned a good keep that day. They didn't have to play much at all.

Etude

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

I remember my best JW friend at the time was getting married and i was a full out JW still and was supposed to be her maid of honor. Her hubby had heard about my past and didn't want me in the wedding but didn't tell her or me untill after I had forked out the money for the dress and shoes. - i didn't get the $ back.

Since i knew i was never going to get the loads of presents like normal JWs get at wedding showers..etc I chose to just elope. Didn't even tell my parents till afterwards.

• loosie
    loosie

Oh Katie your stories always make me laugh.

I remember at almost every wedding reception most enerybody had to do the chicken dance or the electric slide. It's really hard to pick up on other JW boys when you have you hands in your armpits mimcking a chicken.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Etude, that sounds GREAT! I wish I had been there.

An hispanic wedding in New York with Salsa would have been the experience of a lifetime for me, but an hispanic wedding with Salsa AND a full assembly drama would have been PRICELESS.

I think we should start a cultural wedding exchange where we arrange the VERY worst of our own culture for someone else. PLEASE Etude will your old cong arrange my next wedding??!!

• rebel8
    rebel8
    I chose to just elope. Didn't even tell my parents till afterwards.

A number of these wierd things about weddings apply to non-jw weddings too. I recently got married, though long out of the borg, and here's the first 2 mistakes I made:

1. Told people I was getting married. This sparked an entire year of dysfunctional behavior on the part of our families only seen on the likes of Jerry Springer (without the altercations).
    2. Invited people to the wedding. This just made things worse.

I always wanted to elope and tell people afterwards, but no-o-o, my husband wanted the traditional thing. A few months before the appointed date, he already regretted it, but it was too late to undo all our plans. We ended up having it out of state and a few people joined us, but most the damage was still done.

• Etude
    Etude

Katiekitten:

Thanks. Why wouldn't anybody want a mix of Salsa and spirituality all wrapped up in one bash? But, I should explain that actually we might have had a clash of cultures. Both my sister's husbands were born and raised in America. The one that put up the biblical drama is from Boston, speaks Spanish pretty well and he was at Bethel. I don't think it would have occurred to anyone from our side of the family to come up with something like that. I guess he just either didn't care what anybody thought or, in spite of knowing the Spanish language, he did didn't know the culture very well. Besides, it was all probably due to all the JW crap in his head. I'll tell one thing, I went to a lot of JW weddings and I always had a blast dancing my rear end off.

Etude

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit