What is talk #45?

by z 34 Replies latest watchtower bible

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

i believe it has something to do with jehovah, the organization, doing more, the faithful slave, etc...

bethel minute

p.s. something seems to be missing in this "christian sermon" outline... i think it starts with a J

• jula71
    jula71

I can get it......but will take a couple days........

• VM44
    VM44

PT 045 - "Follow the Way to Life"

--VM44

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

It's a sign that the end is close!! Stay Alive till talk #75!

• Quotes
    Quotes

Talk 45: FOLLOW THE WAY TO LIFE

Note to the speaker:
    Develop audience’s appreciation for the wise sayings inspired by Jehovah that are contained in the book of Proverbs. We can show wisdom ourselves by listening and applying these inspired sayings

LIFE IS A VERY PRECIOUS GIFT (4 min.)

All of us are concerned with getting the best out of life (w85 8/15 11-16)
    We desire good health so we can enjoy our life
    Frustrating to see the limitations poor health brings
    Can thank parents we are alive and have opportunity to do things
    It is most important that we thank Jehovah, the One who makes all life possible (Ps 36: 9)
    He knows the things we need, the way of life that brings greatest happiness, the principles for a successful life, as well as our prospects for the future (Pr 9: 10, 11)
    Will consider some examples in the book of Proverbs that can help us on the way to life

PROVERBS GIVES WISE GUIDE FOR HAPPY LIFE (20 min.)

How to be liked
    Show kindness and trueness (Pr 3: 3, 4; 11:17); speak honestly (Pr 3:29); speak mildly and of what is good (Pr 15: 1, 2); show loyalty (Pr 18: 24)
    Making a living
    Real success comes with industry and advance planning (Pr 6: 6-11); diligence (Pr 10: 4, 5); honesty (Pr 11: 1); good judgment (Pr 11:15); doing skilled work (Pr 22:29); not putting all our trust in income (Pr 11: 28)
    Achieving a happy family life
    Try to be understanding and tactful (Pr 16: 21, 23, 24; 17: 1); be forgiving (Pr 17: 9, 13); be loving (Pr 10:12); be faithful to mate (Pr 5: 15-20); husband should provide well for family (Pr 12:11); wife should care well for family (Pr 31: 11, 12, 15, 26-28); train children well (Pr 13:24; 15: 5, 20; 22: 6, 15; 29: 15, 17); show respect for older ones (Pr 1: 8, 9; 19:26; 23: 22, 24, 25)
    Avoiding problems
    Morality protects against health problems (Pr 5: 3-11; 6: 24-33); calmness aids health (Pr 14:30); mildness helps prevent anger (Pr 15:4, 18); do not retaliate (Pr 24:29); avoid drunkenness (Pr 20: 1; 23: 20, 21, 29-35)

FEAR OF JEHOVAH A BASIC REQUIREMENT FOR ETERNAL LIFE (10 min.)

Are these proverbs just a matter of following common sense [see W common sense 2] to live a good life, or is there something more to life? (Pr 6: 23)
    Why does Proverbs 1:7 say that fear of Jehovah is the beginning of knowledge?
    Listening to Jehovah leads to everlasting life (Pr 3: 13-18)
    Calls to mind the prospect of everlasting life Jehovah set before perfect man in Eden
    How can we gain the prize of life? Just by living a "good [virtuous] life”?
    Consider Proverbs 4: 4, 10, 11; John 17:3
    Doing things Jehovah’s way is a requirement for everlasting life
    Congregation arrangement and personal Bible study will help us learn what God requires of us (Pr 24: 3)
    Meetings motivate us to share knowledge of God’s Word by engaging in field service (Pr 3: 27; 15:7a)
    Are helped to come close to Jehovah in personal relationship and prayer (Pr 15: 29)
    Can gain assistance from elders in congregation (Pr 24:6b)
    Should grow in appreciation for our need of God’s guidance (Pr 16: 9)
    We should become teachers of God’s Word, holding Bible studies with others (Pr 1: 2-6)
    Feed sheeplike ones on every occasion, as we have been fed at meetings (Joh 21: 15-17)

JESUS -- THE WAY, THE TRUTH, AND THE LIFE (6 min.)

No one comes to the Father and receives life except through Jesus (Joh 14: 6)
    Our approach to God depends on our faith in Jesus’ sacrifice
    Do we want to follow his course of life, even though it may bring opposition, so we can approach the Father, the Grand Giver of everlasting life? Is this way too difficult?
    Jesus showed that most people would not follow this course, yet he recommended it (Mt 7: 13, 14)
    Is this narrow, cramped road so restrictive that it takes the joy out of living now if we are to gain a future reward? Is that what Jesus meant about a cramped road? (w77 621-5; it-2 168 2)
    Jehovah has given us guidelines for successful living that will keep us in the bounds of his favor and headed in the right direction while giving us a full life with no regrets (Pr 4: 10-13)
    Faithfully follow Jesus’ example in preaching and teaching "good news” (Mt 9: 35-38; 28: 19, 20)

BE AMONG THE WISE ONES WHO FOLLOW JEHOVAH’S WAY TO LIFE (5 min.)

How happy we can be to know that Jehovah’s way is best!
    It is the way not only to a happy life now but to everlasting life under the rule of Christ as Prince of Peace
    While way is open to all, most persons foolishly follow broad way to destruction
    Even in days of apostles, many spoke injuriously about this way (Ac 19: 9)
    Do we want to take our place among those described at Proverbs 6: 12-19?
    Or do we want to follow wise way that leads to life? (Pr 8: 32-35; 22: 4)
    This includes helping others to learn about the right way also
    May we take wise course, Jehovah’s way, to everlasting life! (Pr 12: 28)
    (Additional material may be found in w80 2/15 25-9; w73 488-94; w87 5/15 28-30; it-2 703-7. Also, check Scripture indexes for information on specific verses)
    (Adhere closely to the outlined material, and observe the indicated timing of each section. Not all cited texts need be read. Source material in parentheses need not be mentioned)

No. 45 7/92 Printed in Australia

No. 45 -- page 2 TO BE COVERED IN 45 MINUTES

• VM44
    VM44

Follow the Way to Life
    045 - Reference Material

(Psalm 36:9) For with you is the source of life; By light from you we can see light.

(Proverbs 9:10,11) The fear of Jehovah is the start of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Most Holy One is what understanding is. 11 For by me your days will become many, and to you years of life will be added.

(Proverbs 3:3,4) May loving-kindness and trueness themselves not leave you. Tie them about your throat. Write them upon the tablet of your heart, 4 and so find favor and good insight in the eyes of God and of earthling man.

(Proverbs 11:17) A man of loving-kindness is dealing rewardingly with his own soul, but the cruel person is bringing ostracism upon his own organism.

(Proverbs 3:29) Do not fabricate against your fellowman anything bad, when he is dwelling in a sense of security with you.

(Proverbs 15:1,2) An answer, when mild, turns away rage, but a word causing pain makes anger to come up. 2 The tongue of wise ones does good with knowledge, but the mouth of the stupid ones bubbles forth with foolishness.

(Proverbs 18:24) There exist companions disposed to break one another to pieces, but there exists a friend sticking closer than a brother.

(Proverbs 6:6-11) Go to the ant, you lazy one; see its ways and become wise. 7 Although it has no commander, officer or ruler, 8 it prepares its food even in the summer; it has gathered its food supplies even in the harvest. 9 How long, you lazy one, will you keep lying down? When will you rise up from your sleep? 10 A little more sleep, a little more slumbering, a little more folding of the hands in lying down, 11 and your poverty will certainly come just like some rover, and your want like an armed man.

(Proverbs 10:4,5) The one working with a slack hand will be of little means, but the hand of the diligent one is what will make one rich. 5 The son acting with insight is gathering during the summertime; the son acting shamefully is fast asleep during the harvest.

(Proverbs 11:1) A cheating pair of scales is something detestable to Jehovah, but a complete stone-weight is a pleasure to him.

(Proverbs 11:15) One will positively fare badly because he has gone surety for a stranger, but the one hating handshaking is keeping carefree.

(Proverbs 22:29) Have you beheld a man skillful in his work? Before kings is where he will station himself; he will not station himself before commonplace men.

(Proverbs 11:28) The one trusting in his riches-he himself will fall; but just like foliage the righteous ones will flourish.

(Proverbs 16:21,23,24) The one that is wise in heart will be called understanding, and he that is sweet in [his] lips adds persuasiveness. 23 The heart of the wise one causes his mouth to show insight, and to his lips it adds persuasiveness. 24 Pleasant sayings are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and a healing to the bones.

(Proverbs 17:1) Better is a dry piece of bread with which there is quietness than a house full of the sacrifices of quarreling.

(Proverbs 17:9,13) The one covering over transgression is seeking love, and he that keeps talking about a matter is separating those familiar with one another. 13 As for anyone repaying bad for good, bad will not move away from his house.

(Proverbs 10:12) Hatred is what stirs up contentions, but love covers over even all transgressions.

(Proverbs 5:15-20) Drink water out of your own cistern, and tricklings out of the midst of your own well. 16 Should your springs be scattered out of doors, [your] streams of water in the public squares themselves? 17 Let them prove to be for you alone, and not for strangers with you. 18 Let your water source prove to be blessed, and rejoice with the wife of your youth, 19 a lovable hind and a charming mountain goat. Let her own breasts intoxicate you at all times. With her love may you be in an ecstasy constantly. 20 So why should you, my son, be in an ecstasy with a strange woman or embrace the bosom of a foreign woman?

(Proverbs 12:11) The one cultivating his ground will himself be satisfied with bread, but the one pursuing valueless things is in want of heart.

(Proverbs 31:11,12,15,26-28) In her the heart of her owner has put trust, and there is no gain lacking. 12 She has rewarded him with good, and not bad, all the days of her life. 15 She also gets up while it is still night, and gives food to her household and the prescribed portion to her young women. 26 Her mouth she has opened in wisdom, and the law of loving-kindness is upon her tongue. 27 She is watching over the goings-on of her household, and the bread of laziness she does not eat. 28 Her sons have risen up and proceeded to pronounce her happy; her owner [rises up], and he praises her.

(Proverbs 13:24) The one holding back his rod is hating his son, but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline.

(Proverbs 15:5,20) Anyone foolish disrespects the discipline of his father, but anyone regarding reproof is shrewd. 20 A wise son is the one that makes a father rejoice, but a stupid man is despising his mother.

(Proverbs 22:6,15) Train up a boy according to the way for him; even when he grows old he will not turn aside from it. 15 Foolishness is tied up with the heart of a boy; the rod of discipline is what will remove it far from him.

(Proverbs 29:15,17) The rod and reproof are what give wisdom; but a boy let on the loose will be causing his mother shame. 17 Chastise your son and he will bring you rest and give much pleasure to your soul.

(Proverbs 1:8,9) Listen, my son, to the discipline of your father, and do not forsake the law of your mother. 9 For they are a wreath of attractiveness to your head and a fine necklace to your throat.

(Proverbs 19:26) He that is maltreating a father [and] that chases a mother away is a son acting shamefully and disgracefully.

(Proverbs 23:22,24,25) Listen to your father who caused your birth, and do not despise your mother just because she has grown old. 24 The father of a righteous one will without fail be joyful; the one becoming father to a wise one will also rejoice in him. 25 Your father and your mother will rejoice, and she that gave birth to you will be joyful.

(Proverbs 5:3-11) For as a honeycomb the lips of a strange woman keep dripping, and her palate is smoother than oil. 4 But the aftereffect from her is as bitter as wormwood; it is as sharp as a two-edged sword. 5 Her feet are descending to death. Her very steps take hold on She'ol itself. 6 The path of life she does not contemplate. Her tracks have wandered she does not know [where]. 7 So now, O sons, listen to me and do not turn away from the sayings of my mouth. 8 Keep your way far off from alongside her, and do not get near to the entrance of her house, 9 that you may not give to others your dignity, nor your years to what is cruel; 10 that strangers may not satisfy themselves with your power, nor the things you got by pain be in the house of a foreigner, 11 nor you have to groan in your future when your flesh and your organism come to an end.

(Proverbs 6:24-33) to guard you against the bad woman, against the smoothness of the tongue of the foreign woman. 25 Do not desire her prettiness in your heart, and may she not take you with her lustrous eyes, 26 because in behalf of a woman prostitute [one comes down] to a round loaf of bread; but as regards another man's wife, she hunts even for a precious soul. 27 Can a man rake together fire into his bosom and yet his very garments not be burned? 28 Or can a man walk upon the coals and his feet themselves not be scorched? 29 Likewise with anyone having relations with the wife of his fellowman, no one touching her will remain unpunishable. 30 People do not despise a thief just because he commits thievery to fill his soul when he is hungry. 31 But, when found, he will make it good with seven times as much; all the valuables of his house he will give. 32 Anyone committing adultery with a woman is in want of heart; he that does it is bringing his own soul to ruin. 33 A plague and dishonor he will find, and his reproach itself will not be wiped out.

(Proverbs 14:30) A calm heart is the life of the fleshly organism, but jealousy is rottenness to the bones.

(Proverbs 15:4,18) The calmness of the tongue is a tree of life, but distortion in it means a breaking down in the spirit. 18 An enraged man stirs up contention, but one that is slow to anger quiets down quarreling.

(Proverbs 24:29) Do not say: "Just as he did to me, so I am going to do to him. I shall repay to each one according to his acting."

(Proverbs 20:1) Wine is a ridiculer, intoxicating liquor is boisterous, and everyone going astray by it is not wise.

(Proverbs 23:20,21,29-35) Do not come to be among heavy drinkers of wine, among those who are gluttonous eaters of flesh. 21 For a drunkard and a glutton will come to poverty, and drowsiness will clothe one with mere rags. 29 Who has woe? Who has uneasiness? Who has contentions? Who has concern? Who has wounds for no reason? Who has dullness of eyes? 30 Those staying a long time with the wine, those coming in to search out mixed wine. 31 Do not look at wine when it exhibits a red color, when it gives off its sparkle in the cup, [when] it goes with a slickness. 32 At its end it bites just like a serpent, and it secretes poison just like a viper. 33 Your own eyes will see strange things, and your own heart will speak perverse things. 34 And you will certainly become like one lying down in the heart of the sea, even like one lying down at the top of a mast. 35 "They have struck me, but I did not become sick; they have smitten me, but I did not know it. When shall I wake up? I shall seek it yet some more."

(Proverbs 6:23) For the commandment is a lamp, and a light the law is, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life,

(Proverbs 1:7) The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of knowledge. Wisdom and discipline are what mere fools have despised.

(Proverbs 3:13-18) Happy is the man that has found wisdom, and the man that gets discernment, 14 for having it as gain is better than having silver as gain and having it as produce than gold itself. 15 It is more precious than corals, and all other delights of yours cannot be made equal to it. 16 Length of days is in its right hand; in its left hand there are riches and glory. 17 Its ways are ways of pleasantness, and all its roadways are peace. 18 It is a tree of life to those taking hold of it, and those keeping fast hold of it are to be called happy.

(Proverbs 4:4,10,11) And he would instruct me and say to me: "May your heart keep fast hold of my words. Keep my commandments and continue living. 10 Hear, my son, and accept my sayings. Then for you the years of life will become many. 11 I will instruct you even in the way of wisdom; I will cause you to tread in the tracks of uprightness.

(John 17:3) This means everlasting life, their taking in knowledge of you, the only true God, and of the one whom you sent forth, Jesus Christ.

(Proverbs 24:3) By wisdom a household will be built up, and by discernment it will prove firmly established.

(Proverbs 3:27) Do not hold back good from those to whom it is owing, when it happens to be in the power of your hand to do [it].

(Proverbs 15:7) The lips of the wise ones keep scattering knowledge about, but the heart of the stupid ones is not like that.

(Proverbs 15:29) Jehovah is far away from the wicked ones, but the prayer of the righteous ones he hears.

(Proverbs 24:6) For by skillful direction you will carry on your war, and in the multitude of counselors there is salvation.

(Proverbs 16:9) The heart of earthling man may think out his way, but Jehovah himself does the directing of his steps.

(Proverbs 1:2-6) for one to know wisdom and discipline, to discern the sayings of understanding, 3 to receive the discipline that gives insight, righteousness and judgment and uprightness, 4 to give to the inexperienced ones shrewdness, to a young man knowledge and thinking ability. 5 A wise person will listen and take in more instruction, and a man of understanding is the one who acquires skillful direction, 6 to understand a proverb and a puzzling saying, the words of wise persons and their riddles.

(John 21:15-17) When, now, they had breakfasted, Jesus said to Simon Peter: "Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him: "Yes, Lord, you know I have affection for you." He said to him: "Feed my lambs." 16 Again he said to him, a second time: "Simon son of John, do you love me?" He said to him: "Yes, Lord, you know I have affection for you." He said to him: "Shepherd my little sheep." 17 He said to him the third time: "Simon son of John, do you have affection for me?" Peter became grieved that he said to him the third time: "Do you have affection for me?" So he said to him: "Lord, you know all things; you are aware that I have affection for you." Jesus said to him: "Feed my little sheep.

(Job 14:6) Turn your gaze from upon him that he may have rest, Until he finds pleasure as a hired laborer does in his day.

(Matthew 7:13,14) "Go in through the narrow gate; because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; 14 whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it.

(Proverbs 4:10-13) Hear, my son, and accept my sayings. Then for you the years of life will become many. 11 I will instruct you even in the way of wisdom; I will cause you to tread in the tracks of uprightness. 12 When you walk, your pace will not be cramped; and if you run, you will not stumble. 13 Take hold on discipline; do not let go. Safeguard it, for it itself is your life.

(Matthew 9:35-38) And Jesus set out on a tour of all the cities and villages, teaching in their synagogues and preaching the good news of the kingdom and curing every sort of disease and every sort of infirmity. 36 On seeing the crowds he felt pity for them, because they were skinned and thrown about like sheep without a shepherd. 37 Then he said to his disciples: "Yes, the harvest is great, but the workers are few. 38 Therefore, beg the Master of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest."

(Matthew 28:19,20) Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things."

(Acts 19:9) But when some went on hardening themselves and not believing, speaking injuriously about The Way before the multitude, he withdrew from them and separated the disciples from them, daily giving talks in the school [auditorium] of Ty·ran'nus.

(Proverbs 6:12-19) A good-for-nothing man, a man of hurtfulness, is walking with crookedness of speech, 13 winking with his eye, making signs with his foot, making indications with his fingers. 14 Perverseness is in his heart. He is fabricating something bad all the time. He keeps sending out merely contentions. 15 That is why suddenly there will come his disaster; in an instant he will be broken, and there will be no healing. 16 There are six things that Jehovah does hate; yes, seven are things detestable to his soul: 17 lofty eyes, a false tongue, and hands that are shedding innocent blood, 18 a heart fabricating hurtful schemes, feet that are in a hurry to run to badness, 19 a false witness that launches forth lies, and anyone sending forth contentions among brothers.

(Proverbs 8:32-35) "And now, O sons, listen to me; yes, happy are the ones that keep my very ways. 33 Listen to discipline and become wise, and do not show any neglect. 34 Happy is the man that is listening to me by keeping awake at my doors day by day, by watching at the posts of my entrances. 35 For the one finding me will certainly find life, and gets goodwill from Jehovah.

(Proverbs 22:4) The result of humility [and] the fear of Jehovah is riches and glory and life.

(Proverbs 12:28) In the path of righteousness there is life, and the journey in its pathway means no death.

(Proverbs 11:28) The one trusting in his riches-he himself will fall; but just like foliage the righteous ones will flourish.

-----------------------------------------------

w85 8/15 11-16 Youth's Greatest Opportunity

"Godly devotion is beneficial for all things, as it holds promise of the life now and that which is to come. Faithful and deserving of full acceptance is that statement."-1 TIMOTHY 4:8, 9.

WHAT is the greatest opportunity that life holds out to you? Recent surveys of a cross section of young people reveal that the majority consider "getting a job that I enjoy" and "being very well-off financially" to be their most important goals. Increasing numbers of youths are career-minded, and in some places they are entering universities in record numbers in a quest for well-paying jobs. Many look to such material opportunities to find security, strength, and fulfillment in life. If you are a youth, is that how you feel? And how do you who are adults, especially parents, really consider such opportunities? Are these the key to the "good life"?

2 If ever young people needed strength and fulfillment, it is now during these "last days" when times are "hard to deal with." (2 Timothy 3:1-5) Today's young folks have grown up under stresses that would have been unimaginable a generation ago. The rapid changes in society, such as the breakdown of family life and morals, have caused great emotional turmoil.

The Need for Strength and Fulfillment

3 More and more young people find that they lack the inner strength to cope with the pressures of life. (Compare Ephesians 3:16.) A recent National Institute of Mental Health report concludes that one out of five youths is seriously depressed. From 1961 to 1975, the rate of juvenile suicide in the United States more than doubled! In that one land nearly 8,000 youths die by their own hands annually, yet 50 times that number attempt suicide. Some authorities call the problem a pandemic. Reports also show that a surprising number of youths are being admitted to mental hospitals.

4 Of course, not all young people live in circumstances that offer material opportunities. However, when you consider that the reports mentioned earlier involve a major country where material opportunities abound, it is clear that such alone do not help young people to 'remove vexation from their heart and calamity from their flesh.' (Ecclesiastes 11:9, 10) Material advantages supply little strength to a person whose heart is plagued with discouraging self-doubts, insecurities, or guilts. The Bible observes: "Have you shown yourself discouraged in the day of distress? Your power will be scanty."-Proverbs 24:10.

5 But will laying hold on material things eventually bring satisfaction, the "good life"? Wealthy King Solomon admitted: "I, even I, turned toward all the works of mine that my hands had done and toward the hard work that I had worked hard to accomplish, and, look! everything was vanity and a striving after wind." (Ecclesiastes 2:3-11) Though his attainments brought him some pleasure, he still sensed a feeling of emptiness, of vanity.

6 Many today herald higher education as one of the keys to the future "good life." One former U.S. state governor even called such schooling "a necessity for strength, fulfillment and survival." Is it really? Well, 846 graduates from a prestigious university compiled a "class report" about how they were faring ten years after being graduated. "While jolly good cheer spreads through the report," observed one class member, "there is an underlay of pessimism, bitterness and even despair." After 25 years, one graduate had achieved "certain financial goals," but he admitted: "The failures in my own personal life so outnumber the successes that both will mercifully go unreported." Is this the best that life offers?

The Greatest Opportunity

7 In his inspired letters to the Christian disciple Timothy, the apostle Paul pointed to something much better. This young man had been assigned to serve in Ephesus, one of the greatest commercial centers in ancient times. What careers he must have seen! He himself could have striven to become a prosperous merchant or sought fame either at the school of Tyrannus or in the local theater. (1 Timothy 1:3; Acts 19:1, 9, 29) Timothy could no doubt have trained for a lucrative secular career, but Paul wrote: "Be training yourself with godly devotion as your aim. For bodily training is beneficial for a little; but godly devotion is beneficial for all things, as it holds promise of the life now and that which is to come." Yes, godly devotion is "beneficial for all things." This was not mere speculation, for Paul added: "Faithful and deserving of full acceptance is that statement." From personal experience, Paul knew what would open up the best way of life.-1 Timothy 4:7-9; 2 Corinthians 6:10.

8 What is this godly devotion? It is personal attachment to God springing from a heart stirred by deep appreciation of his appealing qualities. While "godly fear" (Hebrews 12:28) means primarily reverential dread of doing anything displeasing to God, "godly devotion" is a response of the heart that will move you to live in a way that pleases God because you love him. Such a quality of the heart leads to an "intimacy with God," a personal relationship wherein you sense his approval and help. (Job 29:4) The opportunity to have this personal friendship with God is more valuable than anything else that may be offered to you.-Compare Jeremiah 9:23, 24.

9 Does having godly parents or getting baptized as a Christian automatically bring about this relationship with God? No, because sincerity of heart must be cultivated, along with other Christian virtues. (2 Peter 1:5-8) You must become a person 'whose heart impels' him to render "deeds of godly devotion." (Compare Exodus 36:2; 2 Peter 3:11; Colossians 3:22.) Though reared from infancy in the way of the truth, Timothy had to develop godly devotion. Today, too, rigorous effort is necessary, yet this godly devotion will prove to be "a means of great gain." (1 Timothy 6:6) How so?

An Elevated Way of Life

10 In Ephesus, Timothy pursued godly devotion among people who were 'walking in the unprofitableness of their minds.' (Ephesians 4:17) What filled their minds was of no real profit but was vanity. "What a picture!" states Bible scholar R. C. H. Lenski about Ephesians 4:17. "Men with thinking, willing minds, rational creatures, walking and walking on and on throughout life, following the dictates of a mind that leads them at every step and at the end to nothing, to monumental, tragic failure!"

11 Timothy could see that the Ephesians' course of life was vain and debasing. Many worshiped the goddess Artemis, but their fanatical worship was directed to a lifeless image. It included wild orgies and ceremonial prostitution. (Acts 19:23-34) Timothy's way of life, though, was elevated above that of the nations, who were "alienated from the life that belongs to God . . . [and] past all moral sense." (Ephesians 2:6; 4:18, 19) His godly course in living "the life that belongs to God" had given him the greatest Friend in the universe! The opportunity to develop this relationship with the living God through godly devotion is most precious indeed! Can you lay hold on it?

12 Many today worship sex, pleasure, riches, and higher education with the same intensity that the ancient Ephesians did Artemis. (Matthew 6:24; Ephesians 5:3-5; Philippians 3:19) However, those pursuing godly devotion enjoy a superior quality of life. "I look at the kids I used to run around with before I began to study the Bible," reports one 24-year-old Christian. "Half of them are in jail. Most are on drugs, and many of the girls have illegitimate babies. Their lives are a mess. Several are even dead. I am so thankful to be able to look at my life and be proud of what I see." Other Christian youths heartily agree!

13 Those who live with godly devotion have the treasure of the ministry. (2 Corinthians 4:1, 7; 2 Timothy 4:5) This provides real purpose and challenge. Rather than the pseudo excitement of some fictional TV or movie drama, Christians involved in the ministry visit the homes of real people to help them. They deal also with real problems. What indescribable joy as they see people who have lived immoral, violent, or hopeless lives respond to Bible instruction and put away former bad habits, develop self-respect, and serve Jehovah. No other career is as meaningful or produces such lasting good!

Contentment and a Clean Conscience

14 "To be sure, it is a means of great gain, this godly devotion along with self-sufficiency. . . . So, having sustenance and covering, we shall be content with these things. However, those who are determined to be rich . . . have stabbed themselves all over with many pains." (1 Timothy 6:6-10) In 1981 a survey by Psychology Today revealed that young people think "much more" about money than any other age group. However, half the group of respondents who were most concerned about money (including wealthy and poor) complained of "constant worry and anxiety."

15 A young man in Japan succeeded in going from 'rags to riches,' but in doing so he damaged his health. Later, with the help of a Bible study, he developed godly devotion. "When I think back to when my chief goal in life was to become wealthy, there is no comparison as to how much happier I've been since I changed my goal," he concludes. "Truly there is nothing that can match the contentment and satisfaction that come with using one's life in the service of the Grand Creator."-Proverbs 10:22; Ecclesiastes 5:10-12.

16 Paul urged Timothy to 'hold a good conscience.' How? One way was for him to treat women "with all chasteness." (1 Timothy 1:19; 5:2) However, chastity has all but vanished from among many youths as their consciences have become seared. (1 Timothy 4:2) But immorality does not bring inner peace and satisfaction. One study considered the sexual attitudes and conduct of several hundred adolescents. Concerning those who were the most sexually promiscuous, the report stated: "They believe they are functioning with little purpose and self-contentment." Nearly half of these felt: "The way I'm living right now, most of my abilities are going to waste."

17 If, in time, a couple pursue honorable marriage, they will be benefited by showing "love out of a clean heart and out of a good conscience." (1 Timothy 1:5) In 1984 the Journal of Marriage and the Family reported that a study of 309 recently married couples showed that premarital sex was associated with "significantly lower marital satisfaction for both spouses." But what a contrast with those who are chaste! "It is such a beautiful feeling looking back and knowing I am clean," states one young Christian wife who has now been happily married for seven years. Yes, a clean conscience is a rich reward to youths who "become an example . . . in chasteness."-1 Timothy 4:12.

Inner Strength

18 No doubt Timothy met with many pressures in Ephesus. The temptations of the prosperous and immoral city with its emphasis on 'fun and games' could bring external stress. Timothy's apparent diffidence as well as his "frequent cases of sickness" certainly created pressures within him. (1 Timothy 5:23) But Paul reminded him: "God gave us not a spirit of cowardice, but that of power and of love and of soundness of mind."-2 Timothy 1:7.

19 Indeed, how many of your peers yearn for such strength! One young woman fully overcame a life of prostitution and drug addiction. "It was only by Jehovah's help," she said. "There are certain times I will get those old feelings back, but I just start praying-immediately. The ability to overcome these problems is more exciting than anything I have ever accomplished in my life!" No question about it, God can 'infuse power' into you and give you the inner strength to cope with any pressure and to make sound decisions.-2 Timothy 4:17.

20 So godly devotion brings you a host of benefits. Your "course of life" takes on a purpose that towers over the goals of those who reach only for material opportunities. (2 Timothy 3:10) As one Christian youth who gave up a college scholarship and became a full-time evangelizer exclaimed: "I have the best career anyone could want, being a teacher of the good news and helping others to learn of our loving Father! And the 'fringe benefit'-my own improved personality-is better than anyone could offer. Add to that the reward of living in a paradise forever with no more sorrows. Now ask: What better life could anyone ever want?"

21 You may say, 'How can I develop godly devotion?' For an answer, read the following article.

[Footnotes]

"A number of experts in adolescent development and behavior see such depression as a major contributing factor to serious teen problems such as truancy and trouble at school, drug and alcohol abuse, sexual acting out, pregnancy, running away from home and suicide," reports author Kathleen McCoy in Coping with Teenage Depression.

While in the United States the number of admissions of all age groups has declined during a 13-year period, the 15-24 age group increased 19 percent, and the under-15 group increased 158 percent!

"The spontaneous feeling of the heart [toward God]" is how the Lexicon by Edward Robinson defines the original Greek word eu·se'bei·a. J. A. H. Tittmann, in his Remarks on the Synonyms of the New Testament, adds: "[Godly devotion] expresses that reverence for the Deity which shows itself in actions, . . . but [godly fear] indicates that disposition, which dreads and avoids the doing of any thing contrary to right, . . . [godly devotion] is the energy of piety in the life."

Read the life story of Shozo Mima, "Finding Something Better Than Wealth," in The Watchtower of March 1, 1978.

------------------------------------------------

w77 10/15 621-5 The Way of Life-Narrow but Free

JESUS CHRIST said: "Narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life." (Matt. 7:14) The Greek word that Matthew used in reporting Jesus' words "is used figuratively in Matt. 7:13, 14, of the gate which provides entrance to eternal life, narrow because it runs counter to natural inclinations."-W. E. Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words.

2 The 'narrowness' of "The Way" is therefore not a narrow-mindedness, an oversolemn way. It is not a way of isolation, as in a monastery. It is a 'narrowness' in the sense of not being loose, purposeless, vacillating. It is "narrow" in that it restricts one as to harmful things. True freedom is not license to do just anything a person desires, because this would infringe on the freedom of others. It would soon become no freedom, for it would lead to strife, hatred, even murder. The laws of world governments, for example, if not obeyed at all, would result in anarchy and such terrible conditions that no one would have any real freedom or happiness.

3 The Christian, just as everyone else, has many imperfections and faults. When he tries to correct these, the imperfections of the flesh make him feel miserable because of the fight he has to put up against them. (Rom. 7:24) In Luke 13:24, Jesus said: "Exert yourselves vigorously to get in through the narrow door." It takes exertion, just as is experienced by the runners in ancient and modern Olympic Games, not because the "way" to life is in itself disagreeable or in any sense objectionable, but because the world and our own imperfect personalities exert pressures against us. The standards of "The Way" are high, but meeting them gives the greatest satisfaction, joy and freedom.

4 Honesty is one of the requirements of "The Way" that makes it narrow. What real feeling of security and happiness can a person have in a world where he cannot trust his fellowman? Therefore, Christians follow the way of honesty, not in word only, but also in deed. (1 John 3:18) A true Christian will not steal or practice extortion. He will not "cut corners" in business in an underhanded or illegal way, misrepresenting matters, taking payoffs or kickbacks. He will not make deals "under the table" or offer bribes for special favors or privileges. (Ex. 23:8; Ps. 26:9, 10) Even items found are returned to their owners wherever possible, with no reward asked or desired.-Deut. 22:1-3.

5 But can a Christian consistently follow this course in a world system that is operated on dishonest principles, or selfishness? Those who follow true Christianity have experienced some hardships, even losing jobs because of refusal to do something dishonest for their employers. But, generally, they have found that, because they work hard to earn the money that they are paid, their employers respect them and they are often given greater responsibilities. They are recognized as reliable, conscientious and trustworthy and able to get along well with others. It takes courage to stand up for honesty, but the Christian can rely on the Bible's counsel and God's promise at Hebrews 13:5, 6: "Let your manner of life be free of the love of money, while you are content with the present things. For he has said: 'I will by no means leave you nor by any means forsake you.' So that we may be of good courage and say: 'Jehovah is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?'"

MORAL UPRIGHTNESS ESSENTIAL TO THE WAY OF LIFE

6 Anyone who reads the Bible knows that moral uprightness and cleanness are indispensable to the way of life of the Christian. However, many people today say that this view is outdated and that the "new morality" of looseness and permissiveness is liberating people for a fuller life. Is this true? Look at today's situation. What is the fruitage of the "new morality"? Heartaches, broken families, diseases and death. Immorality cannot enter into the way of life of any person without damaging his happiness. The apostle Paul describes the effects of immorality, and we have the situation today as glaring proof of the truthfulness of what he said. He wrote concerning some who followed the way of permissiveness:

"Although they knew God, they did not glorify him as God nor did they thank him, but they became empty-headed in their reasonings and their unintelligent heart became darkened. Although asserting they were wise, they became foolish . . . Therefore God, in keeping with the desires of their hearts, gave them up to uncleanness, that their bodies might be dishonored among them, even those who exchanged the truth of God for the lie and venerated and rendered sacred service to the creation rather than the One who created . . . That is why God gave them up to disgraceful sexual appetites, for both their females changed the natural use of themselves into one contrary to nature; and likewise even the males left the natural use of the female and became violently inflamed in their lust toward one another, males with males, working what is obscene and receiving in themselves the full recompense, which was due for their error. And just as they did not approve of holding God in accurate knowledge, God gave them up to a disapproved mental state, to do the things not fitting."-Rom. 1:21-28.

7 Then the apostle went on to name the many crimes and degrading practices that we see prevalent all over the world today. (Rom. 1:29-32) In another letter, he said to Christians: "Deaden, therefore, your body members that are upon the earth as respects fornication, uncleanness, sexual appetite, hurtful desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry. On account of those things the wrath of God is coming. In those very things you, too, once walked when you used to live in them. But now really put them all away from you, wrath, anger, badness, abusive speech, and obscene talk out of your mouth." (Col. 3:5-8) Those who have followed this way to the best of their ability, seeking help from God, have found a far happier life by avoiding immorality and these other bad things named by Paul.-1 Tim. 4:8.

DOES SPIRITISM GIVE PROPER GUIDANCE?

8 People really need help today. There is much perplexity, and, not knowing which way to turn, they are attracted to many sources that claim to give guidance. One of these is the occult: spiritism, fortune-telling, and the like. Will looking to such sources put a person on the way to life? Do they not give spiritual guidance? No, rather, the Bible classifies spiritism among the "works of the flesh" because it gratifies, not spiritual, but fleshly desires. (Gal. 5:19-21) Jehovah's Word reveals his attitude toward all forms of spiritism or occult practices, and toward those who seek help therefrom. He said to his ancient people Israel:

"You must not learn to do according to the detestable things of those nations [in Canaan]. There should not be found in you . . . anyone who employs divination, a practicer of magic or anyone who looks for omens or a sorcerer, or one who binds others with a spell or anyone who consults a spirit medium or a professional foreteller of events or anyone who inquires of the dead. For everybody doing these things is something detestable to Jehovah."-Deut. 18:9-12.

9 Since spiritism is condemned by God, it becomes obvious that a person appealing to spiritism for knowledge or help is not appealing to God. He is looking to a source opposed to God, and the Bible identifies that source for us. The apostle Paul wrote to Christians: "The things which the nations sacrifice they sacrifice to demons, and not to God; and I do not want you to become sharers with the demons. You cannot be . . . partaking of 'the table of Jehovah' and the table of demons. Or 'are we inciting Jehovah to jealousy'? We are not stronger than he is, are we?"-1 Cor. 10:20-22.

10 So, when anyone bypasses God's Word and looks to something else besides God to guide him in a problem of life, he is disavowing God and is falling into the hands of the worst enemies of God and men, the wicked demons, angels who rebelled and who operate under the "ruler of the demons," Satan the Devil.-Luke 11:15; 1 Pet. 3:19, 20; 2 Pet. 2:4; Jude 6; Eph. 6:11, 12; 2 Cor. 4:4.

ASTROLOGY NO RELIABLE GUIDE

11 As for astrology, it, too, denies God and his sovereignty over mankind. Moreover, it denies man's own free will. According to astrology, man is not a free moral agent; every aspect of his life is governed by the position of the stars and planets, so that, in substance, man is a mere robot. But man was made in God's image and likeness. He has a will of his own. He can choose what course he wants to take and can thus determine his own destiny. The Bible repeatedly mentions this freedom of choice and counsels choosing the way that God outlines, if one wants everlasting life in happiness. (Deut. 30:19, 20; Matt. 6:33; Acts 17:26, 27; Rev. 22:17) Furthermore, God warns not to be "struck with terror even at the signs of the heavens." (Jer. 10:2) Ancient Babylon was an enemy of God, and was destroyed because of its various forms of astrology, spiritism and demon worship. God said to Babylon:

"Stand still, now, with your spells and with the abundance of your sorceries, in which you have toiled from your youth; that perhaps you might be able to benefit, that perhaps you might strike people with awe. You have grown weary with the multitude of your counselors. Let them stand up, now, and save you, the worshipers of the heavens, the lookers at the stars, those giving out knowledge at the new moons concerning the things that will come upon you. Look! They have become like stubble. A fire itself will certainly burn them up. They will not deliver their soul from the power of the flame. . . . There will be no one to save you."-Isa. 47:12-15.

THE OBLIGATION OF THE CHRISTIAN CONGREGATION TOWARD PRACTICERS OF SIN

12 In harmony with God's viewpoint and the standards that he has set forth in his written Word, in order to maintain God's favor the congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses must keep themselves free from accusation of wrongdoing. They must be clean in the sight of God. Therefore the congregations require that their members maintain the Christian way or manner of life. Those who insist on violating the Bible principles of truth, morality and honesty, as well as persons involving themselves in spiritistic practices, must be expelled or disfellowshiped from the congregations. (1 Cor. 5:11) Thus, the corruption and deterioration that have ruined the religious denominations of Christendom do not gain a foothold in the truly Christian congregation. It is a real pleasure to associate with spiritually clean people in the clean, pure worship of Jehovah God.

13 Moreover, obedience to the "good news" of God, seeking first the Kingdom and God's righteousness, is the satisfying, happy way of life now. Furthermore, God will not give life on earth under his Kingdom rule to those who would disturb its cleanness and tranquillity. In the apostle John's vision, recorded in the last book of the Bible, he reports:

"I saw a new heaven and a new earth; for the former heaven and the former earth had passed away, and the sea is no more. I saw also the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God and prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say: 'Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.'"-Rev. 21:1-4.

14 Could lying, fornication, adultery, homosexuality, drunkenness, drug abuse, spiritism, astrology, occult practices, gambling, extortion, strife and murder find a place in such a human society? Could an earth infiltrated by these bad things be free from tears and death? By no means. God himself goes on to assure us of this, saying: "But as for the cowards and those without faith and those who are disgusting in their filth and murderers and fornicators and those practicing spiritism and idolaters and all the liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulphur. This means the second death."-Rev. 21:8.

15 But as for those whose hearts lean toward what is right, and who really desire life in peace with their fellowmen, Jehovah God has not left them without help. He has kindly provided sufficient strength, courage and assistance from fellow Christians to follow the way of life that is pleasing to Him and that gains his smile of approval. The inspired writer says: "Seeing, therefore, that we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold onto our confessing of him. For we have as high priest, not one who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who has been tested in all respects like ourselves, but without sin. Let us, therefore, approach with freeness of speech to the throne of undeserved kindness, that we may obtain mercy and find undeserved kindness for help at the right time."-Heb. 4:14-16; compare 1 Corinthians 10:13.

16 What a marvelous arrangement God has made for mankind to approach him, gain his favor and walk in the way of obedience! And while those who choose to obey him are walking in the way of life, he kindly provides help to give the strength beyond what is normal, so that one sincerely following the way of obedience can be sure to walk in "The Way" successfully. (2 Cor. 4:7; Isa. 40:10, 11, 29-31) Furthermore, there is freedom-peace of mind, purposefulness, freedom from morbid fear of economic conditions, wars and death. There is greater latitude in helping other people, because the true Christian has something to give that really brings help and comfort.

[Footnotes]

"Agonize," "be struggling"; see Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, under "strive"; Authorized Version, marginal reading; Kingdom Interlinear Translation.

it-2 168 Kingdom of God

Membership in the Kingdom of God, therefore, would not be easy to gain, not like approaching an open city with little or nothing to make entrance difficult. Rather, the Sovereign, Jehovah God, had placed barriers to shut out any not worthy. (Compare Joh 6:44; 1Co 6:9-11; Ga 5:19-21; Eph 5:5.) Those who would enter must traverse a narrow road, find the narrow gate, keep on asking, keep on seeking, keep on knocking, and the way would be opened. They would find the way to be "narrow" in that it restricts those who follow it from doing things that would result in injury to themselves or others. (Mt 7:7, 8, 13, 14; compare 2Pe 1:10, 11.) They might figuratively have to lose an eye or a hand to gain entrance. (Mr 9:43-47) The Kingdom would be no plutocracy in which one could buy the King's favor; it would be a difficult thing for a rich man (Gr., plou'si·os) to enter. (Lu 18:24, 25) It would be no worldly aristocracy; prominent position among men would not count. (Mt 23:1, 2, 6-12, 33; Lu 16:14-16) Those apparently "first," having an impressive religious background and record, would be "last," and the 'last would be first' to receive the favored privileges connected with that Kingdom. (Mt 19:30-20:16) The prominent but hypocritical Pharisees, confident of their advantageous position, would see reformed harlots and tax collectors enter the Kingdom before them. (Mt 21:31, 32; 23:13) Though calling Jesus "Lord, Lord," all hypocritical persons disrespecting the word and will of God as revealed through Jesus would be turned away with the words: "I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness."-Mt 7:15-23.

w80 2/15 25-9 The Book of Proverbs-Abundant Wisdom in Few Words

IS YOUR life free of problems and frustrations? Few would say theirs is. And efforts to solve problems often backfire, leaving people in difficulties even worse than their former circumstances. Is there a source of counsel on which people can rely to improve matters?

There is an especially fine source of such guidance in the Bible book of Proverbs. Though written in the Middle East more than 2,500 years ago, the brief maxims of Proverbs apply to all people and are still up-to-date.

The Bible indicates that most of the proverbs originated with King Solomon. (Prov. 1:1; 10:1; 25:1) Though the Scriptural record does not directly say that Solomon wrote them, it strongly implies that he did so. It says that he spoke thousands of proverbs and that "he pondered and made a thorough search, that he might arrange many proverbs in order."-1 Ki. 4:32; Eccl. 12:9.

The style of expression in this Bible book is Hebrew poetry that consists not of rhyming verses but of parallel thoughts. Very often the parallel lines form a contrast, as in the case of Proverbs 10:28, which says: "The expectation of the righteous ones is a rejoicing, but the very hope of the wicked ones will perish." In other cases, the parallel expressions are synonymous, as noted in these words of Proverbs 18:15: "The heart of the understanding one acquires knowledge, and the ear of wise ones seeks to find knowledge."

A LOFTY PURPOSE

The purpose of the book of Proverbs is explained right at its beginning, where we read: "The proverbs of Solomon the son of David, the king of Israel, for one to know wisdom and discipline, to discern the sayings of understanding ["words of deep meaning," The Jerusalem Bible], to receive the discipline that gives insight, righteousness and judgment and uprightness, to give to the inexperienced ones shrewdness, to a young man knowledge and thinking ability."-Prov. 1:1-4.

The book of Proverbs directs much counsel to young, "inexperienced" persons whose hearts are open to every type of influence and who are easily led astray. They must come to appreciate "wisdom," which involves seeing things as they actually are and knowing how to put that knowledge to practical use. "Discipline," too, is necessary, both as self-restraint and as chastisement imposed by others.-Prov. 1:1-4; 2:7, 10-13; 4:1, 5-7, 13.

The proverbs afford special help for developing mental faculties in a right way. There is much encouragement to gain insight and "shrewdness," that is, expertness and sound judgment in all areas of life. (Prov. 1:4; 8:5) This education is never completed. "A wise person will listen and take in more instruction, and a man of understanding is the one who acquires skillful direction, to understand a proverb and a puzzling saying, the words of wise persons and their riddles." (Prov. 1:5, 6) Biblical proverbs often take the form of puzzling sayings and "riddles." which are perplexing, knotty statements that require unraveling. Understanding them takes time and meditation. The abundant wisdom of Proverbs is accessible only to those who are willing to dig for it. This becomes clear from these words of Proverbs 2:1-5:

"My son, if you will receive my sayings and treasure up my own commandments with yourself, so as to pay attention to wisdom with your ear, that you may incline your heart to discernment; if, moreover, you call out for understanding itself and you give forth your voice for discernment itself, if you keep seeking for it as for silver, and as for hid treasures you keep searching for it, in that case you will understand the fear of Jehovah, and you will find the very knowledge of God."

Let us consider some examples of the wise counsel available in the book of Proverbs.

THINGS GOD HATES

People who desire to know what is right and wrong face a bewildering mass of different opinions. Proverbs can help clear up the confusion. For example, in just the four brief verses that follow, we learn of certain mental attitudes and corresponding actions that God hates:

"There are six things that Jehovah does hate; yes, seven are things detestable to his soul: lofty eyes, a false tongue, and hands that are shedding innocent blood, a heart fabricating hurtful schemes, feet that are in a hurry to run to badness, a false witness that launches forth lies, and anyone sending forth contentions among brothers."-Prov. 6:16-19.

The intensification of a number by the next one higher is used many times by Bible writers. (Job 5:19; 33:29; Prov. 30:15, 16, 18, 19, 21-31; Isa. 17:6; Amos 1:3, 6, 9, 11, 13; 2:1, 4, 6) At Proverbs 6:16-19, the numbers are not to be understood literally, as if to say that God hates only six or seven things. The seven categories are basic and will cover all types of wrongful acts. The first six focus on three categories of wrongdoing-in thought ("lofty eyes," "a heart fabricating hurtful schemes"), in word ("a false tongue," "a false witness that launches forth lies") and in deed ("hands that are shedding innocent blood," "feet that are in a hurry to run to badness"). Especially hateful is the seventh type of individual mentioned. He takes keen delight in kindling strife among persons who otherwise would dwell together peacefully. The increase from six to seven suggests that humans ever keep multiplying their evil deeds.

When a person comes to appreciate that the Creator views pride, scheming and lying on a level with bloodshed and other violent acts, he should be moved to make vital changes within himself. The consequence will be improved relationships with others and greater joy in everyday life.

COPING WITH ANGER

One of the most frequent causes of distress among people is uncontrolled anger. Some may feel that flying into a rage is an evidence of strength. But the Word of God states just the opposite, saying: "He that is slow to anger is better than a mighty man, and he that is controlling his spirit than one capturing a city." (Prov. 16:32) Though warriors who capture a city display much fortitude, controlling one's temper requires even greater strength and courage.

How can an individual progress in getting his temper under control? Proverbs offers these fine guidelines:

"Do not have companionship with anyone given to anger; and with a man having fits of rage you must not enter in, that you may not get familiar with his paths and certainly take a snare for your soul."-Prov. 22:24, 25.

"An answer, when mild, turns away rage, but a word causing pain makes anger to come up."-Prov. 15:1.

"The beginning of contention is as one letting out waters; so before the quarrel has burst forth, take your leave."-Prov. 17:14.

All these statements encourage fleeing anger-arousing situations right at the outset. The reason is well expressed in these further words: "If you have acted senselessly by lifting yourself up, and if you have fixed your thought upon it ["if you have hatched a scheme," An American Translation], put the hand to the mouth. For the churning of milk is what brings forth butter, and the squeezing of the nose is what brings forth blood, and the squeezing out of anger is what brings forth quarreling."-Prov. 30:32, 33.

All people foolishly tend to exalt themselves on occasion. They may make undue demands upon others or perhaps say or do something insulting. At such times a person should "put the hand to the mouth," restraining any additional words or actions that would provoke further the one who has become offended. Just as butter requires churning and a nosebleed usually the squeezing or striking of the nose, a full-fledged quarrel happens only when people give free rein to angry feelings and keep on inciting one another to rage.

AVOID LAZINESS

The book of Proverbs both commends hard work and discourages laziness. The inspired writer states: "The lazy one has said: 'There is a lion outside! In the midst of the public squares I shall be murdered!'" (Prov. 22:13) To avoid working, the lazy person will invent fantastic excuses, such as claiming that a lion has gotten into the city and might kill him if he goes outside. Three additional proverbs highlight how an individual unwilling to work affects himself and others:

"The lazy one is showing himself desirous, but his soul has nothing. However, the very soul of the diligent ones will be made fat."-Prov. 13:4.

"Because of winter the lazy one will not plow; he will be begging in reaping time, but there will be nothing."-Prov. 20:4.

"As vinegar to the teeth and as smoke to the eyes, so the lazy man is to those sending him forth."-Prov. 10:26.

THE NEED FOR DISCIPLINE

Since humans are imperfect and incline toward the way of least resistance, most people balk at discipline. The book of Proverbs encourages a different attitude, saying: "Do bring your heart to discipline and your ear to the sayings of knowledge." (Prov. 23:12) Discipline here means both self-restraint and correction administered by others. Often it is provided through "sayings of knowledge," that is, statements that originate with a knowledgeable person and serve to inform others. At times, however, discipline must be firmer than mere words. "Bruising wounds are what scours away the bad; and strokes, the innermost parts of the belly." (Prov. 20:30) When accepted in the right spirit, firm discipline not only restrains acts of wrongdoing but also motivates people to make internal changes for the better.

Concerning discipline of children by parents, we read: "Do not hold back discipline from the mere boy. In case you beat him with the rod, he will not die. With the rod you yourself should beat him, that you may deliver his very soul from Sheol itself." (Prov. 23:13, 14) "The one holding back his rod is hating his son, but the one loving him is he that does look for him with discipline."-Prov. 13:24.

Of course, discipline must always be administered with self-control and not in a burst of anger. And it will not be necessary to use physical punishment at all times. In numerous instances, merely a few words of wise counsel are sufficient. "A rebuke works deeper in one having understanding than striking a stupid one a hundred times."-Prov. 17:10.

SHUN SEXUAL IMMORALITY

The book of Proverbs condemns sexual immorality. Consider, for instance, these words of warning:

"The commandment is a lamp, and a light the law is, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life, to guard you against the bad woman, against the smoothness of the tongue of the foreign woman. Do not desire her prettiness in your heart, and may she not take you with her lustrous eyes, because in behalf of a woman prostitute one comes down to a round loaf of bread; but as regards another man's wife, she hunts even for a precious soul." (Prov. 6:23-26)

Those who engage in immoral sex acts often come to poverty. Persons who seek sexual pleasure with "a woman prostitute" or who otherwise practice fornication may pay also with loss of health as they succumb to painful and crippling venereal diseases. The danger is even greater when an individual seeks intimacies with someone else's marriage mate. An adulteress endangers the "precious soul," or life, of her illicit partner. Concerning this, the inspired Bible writer adds:

"Can a man rake together fire into his bosom and yet his very garments not be burned? Or can a man walk upon the coals and his feet themselves not be scorched? Likewise with anyone having relations with the wife of his fellowman, no one touching her will remain unpunishable. . . . Anyone committing adultery with a woman is in want of heart; he that does it is bringing his own soul to ruin. A plague and dishonor he will find, and his reproach itself will not be wiped out. For the rage of an able-bodied man is jealousy, and he will not show compassion in the day of vengeance [against the one committing adultery with his wife]. He will have no consideration for any sort of ransom, neither will he show willingness, no matter how large you make the present." (Prov. 6:27-35)

Marital unfaithfulness can result in irreparable harm to the individuals and families concerned.

BEWARE OF 'THE SWEET LIFE'

Throughout history the main pursuit in life for numerous individuals has been pleasure-seeking. While the Bible does not discourage having a good time, it stresses the need to get a more balanced view of pleasure activities. "Is it honey that you have found? Eat what is sufficient for you, that you may not take too much of it and have to vomit it up." (Prov. 25:16) Just as the overeating of literal honey can make a person ill physically, so overindulgence in the pleasure-oriented 'sweet life' can lead to physical and also spiritual sickness. Furthermore, overemphasis on pleasure often leads to dire circumstances of poverty. "He that is loving merriment will be an individual in want; he that is loving wine and oil will not gain riches."-Prov. 21:17.

What about the determination to amass wealth? The book of Proverbs cautions that riches are not dependable and can disappear suddenly. We read: "Do not toil to gain riches. Cease from your own understanding. Have you caused your eyes to glance at it [wealth], when it is nothing? For without fail it makes wings for itself like those of an eagle and flies away toward the heavens." (Prov. 23:4, 5) Because vast fortunes can be lost quickly due to poor management or unforeseen circumstances, the Scriptures admonish people to steer their efforts toward something more dependable than the pursuit of riches. Note carefully this counsel:

"You ought to know positively the appearance of your flock. Set your heart to your droves; for treasure will not be to time indefinite, nor a diadem for all generations. The green grass has departed, and the new grass has appeared, and the vegetation of the mountains has been gathered. The young rams are for your clothing, and the he-goats are the price of the field. And there is a sufficiency of goats' milk for your food, for the food of your household, and the means of life for your girls."-Prov. 27:23-27.

Neither material wealth ("treasure") nor a position of prominence ("a diadem") guarantees real security. Time, effort and money invested in a business deal are often lost due to failure of the venture. Unexpected occurrences can cause both wealth and a respected position to disappear suddenly. On the other hand, efforts put forth to care for livestock do not result in decrease, but usually in increase for the owner. God provides freely "vegetation" for feeding domestic animals. Throughout human history diligent caring for livestock consistently has proved to be more dependable as a means of acquiring food, clothing and income than have riches or prominence. Hence, the wise counsel: "You ought to know positively the appearance of your flock." The principle in these words can be applied to diligent labor in any dependable field of employment today.

The book of Proverbs, though committed to writing thousands of years ago, contains peerless guidance for people alive today. Read these inspired words regularly. Meditate on their lessons. Though each proverb has only a few words, their abundant wisdom can make your life lastingly secure and happy.

w73 8/15 488-94 What Are You Doing with Your Life?

"[Wisdom] is a tree of life to those taking hold of it."-Prov. 3:18.

DO YOU appreciate the fact that you are alive? Have you ever given thought to the great prize that life is? As life is passed on from parents to children the variety of combinations of traits and qualities transmitted through the genetic arrangement is astronomical in number. Out of a long chain of circumstances affecting your forefathers, you have come to be. It is really something to be thankful for, because, for example, had your parents or grandparents married different mates, you would never have been born. Or if your mother had conceived at a different time, the one born would have been another child, not you.

2 Jehovah is the Source and Giver of life. (Ps. 36:9) He endowed Adam and Eve, as his direct creations, with the power to transmit life to their children. At John 1:13 the apostle points out that humans are born according to "a fleshly will," the will of their parents. Accordingly, the personalities brought forth are not predestined by God, nor does he have any direct hand in the conception and birth of children. Time and circumstances govern the combinations of factors in the reproductive cell. Therefore a person should highly appreciate that he exists, that he has a place among those who have life.

3 Jehovah greatly values life. He is the happy God, and he wants others to be happy. (1 Tim. 1:11) He takes pleasure in seeing others enjoy living. He therefore gives life to others for a purpose. What importance he attaches to living in the right way! If humans do not waste their lives in foolish pursuits, but live in the way God made them to live, he will give them everlasting life.

WHAT IS NEEDED FOR LIFE

4 It is necessary for the body to be constantly nourished by breathing, drinking and eating. But there is something far more essential for continuance of life. What is this? Well, of all God's earthly creation, only man was made in the image and likeness of God. (Gen. 1:26, 27) Different, then, from the "unreasoning animals," man had the far higher attributes of love, justice, wisdom and other qualities of God. (2 Pet. 2:12) He had the capacity for spirituality. He could reason as to why he had been created; he could learn of his relationship to God. And as he progressed in knowledge of God, the fine attributes God gave him would deepen in him.

5 Moreover, man's capacity to take in knowledge of God, to progress mentally and spiritually, was unlimited. God, from His boundless, fathomless storehouse would continue to supply man with these essential things throughout eternity. So the spirituality and wisdom of God would be ever expanded in man.-Rom. 11:33-36.

6 According to his created constitution, man, in order to keep living, had to have a constant supply of spiritual energy from Jehovah. He needed spiritual connections with God. Even perfect man, with all material necessities, would die without spiritual food. If man took in spiritual food, God would supply the material things, just as he did for Adam and Eve.-Gen. 1:29; 2:9; Matt. 6:33.

7 Readers of the Bible know that Adam did not continue to stay close to God in obedience and wisdom and to increase his spirituality, but instead cut himself off from God and brought sin and death on the human race. (Rom. 5:12) Nevertheless, God did not abandon his purpose toward mankind. He will bring to obedient mankind what he purposed for them. For this reason he has caused the Bible to be written and has sent his Son as a sacrifice to benefit those who desire to serve Him.-Rom. 5:8.

PROVERBS GIVE PRINCIPLES FOR LIVING

8 The Bible book of Proverbs gives us the basic principles for living. King Solomon of Israel, the main producer of Proverbs, certainly had a grasp of life in its many aspects. He had time and opportunity to observe life, and he did much meditation and investigation. And not to be overlooked is the fact that God, who created all things by his wisdom, gave Solomon wisdom so that he could have understanding of these things.-Prov. 3:19, 20; 1 Ki. 3:11-14.

9 Though Solomon's kingdom comprised only a small area in the Middle East, his wisdom was recognized by people of many nations, as it is said of him:

"Solomon's wisdom was vaster than the wisdom of all the Orientals and than all the wisdom of Egypt. . . . And he could speak three thousand proverbs, and his songs came to be a thousand and five. And he would speak about the trees, from the cedar that is in Lebanon to the hyssop that is coming forth on the wall; and he would speak about the beasts and about the flying creatures and about the moving things and about the fishes. And they kept coming from all the peoples to hear Solomon's wisdom, even from all the kings of the earth who had heard of his wisdom."-1 Ki. 4:30-34.

10 Now, Solomon did not merely mention these creations of God in his speech; he also understood them and their growth, habits and ways, as well as their place in God's creative works. The books of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes also reveal his insight into man and his desires and ways. Solomon understood the wise and unwise courses that man could take, with their consequences.

11 Furthermore, God purposed that Solomon speak and write for our benefit, and by His spirit he guided Solomon's words so that they are much more than the wisdom of a mere man. They are fit to be recorded as inspired words in the Bible, God's Word of truth.

12 What does Jehovah God require of man to come into good relationship with Him and to have a hope for everlasting life? Solomon tells us: "To carry on righteousness and judgment is more preferable to Jehovah than sacrifice." (Prov. 21:3) God has not asked man to do something impossible. Through his prophet Micah, Jehovah corroborated Solomon's words, saying: "He has told you, O earthling man, what is good. And what is Jehovah asking back from you but to exercise justice and to love kindness and to be modest in walking with your God?" How can you do this?-Mic. 6:8.

13 Perhaps you have observed the world and life as it is now lived by the majority. You see frustration, injustice and futility. Many hardworking people are, in effect, on a "treadmill," and today no one knows what will happen next. Even the rich and the mighty ones of earth can do nothing to stave off old age and death. King Solomon observed this, and he said:

"I hated life, because the work that has been done under the sun was calamitous from my standpoint, for everything was vanity and a striving after wind. And I, even I, hated all my hard work at which I was working hard under the sun, that I would leave behind for the man who would come to be after me. And who is there knowing whether he will prove to be wise or foolish? Yet he will take control over all my hard work at which I worked hard and at which I showed wisdom under the sun. This too is vanity."-Eccl. 2:17-19.

14 Solomon did not hate life itself, but life as it is lived under the present system of things. Jesus Christ, who was greater than Solomon, showed that this system of things is under the control of Satan the Devil. After his faithful course, in which he "conquered the world" by maintaining faithfulness to God, he said: "Now there is a judging of this world; now the ruler of this world will be cast out." Again he said that the ruler of this world had no hold on him. Soon this system of things with its ruler will be destroyed.-John 16:33; 12:31; 14:30; 2 Cor. 4:4; Rev. 11:18; 12:9.

15 How, then, can we live so as to avoid control by the "ruler of this world" and be pleasing to God, to live on earth under a righteous new order when the ruler of this world is removed from his invisible controlling position of this system of things?

16 Let us turn again to the wise words of Solomon for answer. He tells us: "The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of knowledge." (Prov. 1:7) To fear Jehovah is to put him first in a person's life, to learn his ways and principles and obey him above all others. With this attitude a person is in the position where he sees his spiritual need, the need of spiritual food from God in order to live. (Matt. 5:3) Then Solomon says of seeking Jehovah's wisdom: "If you keep seeking for it as for silver, and as for hid treasures you keep searching for it, in that case you will understand the fear of Jehovah, and you will find the very knowledge of God."-Prov. 2:3-5.

BIBLE STUDY WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE

17 This is very plain and simple. It means that, to get life, you must study the Bible. True, everyone is busy. But note that we must want wisdom as a treasure, as a treasure hunter is willing to sacrifice time and energy and to dig for it. So, ask yourself, 'What am I doing with my life? Am I occupying my time altogether with things that do not fill my need for spiritual connections with God?' If so, and if you 'cannot find time' for Bible study, then you are, in effect, saying that you do not want life. No one can schedule your time for you; you have to take time somehow to do it. Others can then help you.-Eph. 5:15, 16.

18 As you begin to get this wisdom from the Bible, you find the Bible very simple and straightforward. "To the understanding one knowledge is an easy thing," says the proverb. (Pr 14:6) This is true. After studying for a while you begin to connect new information to things you already know. The truth of the Bible is so logical, so interrelated, that the 'pieces' begin to fit together very rapidly, and the whole purpose of Jehovah begins to become clear. "You will understand righteousness and judgment and uprightness, the entire course of what is good," says Solomon.-Prov. 2:9.

19 As you continue studying, it becomes easier for you to set aside time for good things. Also, your newfound wisdom will steer you away from unprofitable things. No longer are bad language or bad jokes part of your speech. You avoid doing even the "little" things that are dishonest. Many things that you desired in the past are now seen to be things of no real, lasting value. Solomon expressed this truth, saying: "When wisdom enters into your heart and knowledge itself becomes pleasant to your very soul, thinking ability itself will keep guard over you, discernment itself will safeguard you, to deliver you from the bad way, from the man speaking perverse things, from those leaving the paths of uprightness to walk in the ways of darkness."-Prov. 2:10-13.

20 As these bad habits are thrown aside you begin to desire association with those whose conversation is good, those who can upbuild you. Such associations begin to become really enjoyable. Perhaps someone studies the Bible with you. He and others of like faith will be of great help and protection to you, for it is true that "he that is walking with wise persons will become wise, but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly." Here the Hebrew word for "stupid" implies, not merely one who lacks knowledge, but one who is ungodly, insensible to moral truth.-Prov. 13:20; compare Proverbs 10:23; 13:19; 14:8.

21 From time to time your new Christian associates may kindly call to your attention something that will help you to come more into line with God's view of things. It may be some habit you have, some practice common to the world, that is called to your attention. Perhaps they point you to certain scriptures dealing with the matter. Instead of feeling hurt or offended, keep in mind that you, like all Christians, have come out of a world that does not know God, a world habitually doing things displeasing to God. You are in the process of "making your mind over." (Rom. 12:2) You are learning God's law, and of this the wise man says: "For the commandment is a lamp, and a light the law is, and the reproofs of discipline are the way of life."-Prov. 6:23.

JEHOVAH HELPS OBEDIENT ONES

22 God wants us to become obedient to him, as a son to a fine father, and, as the ancient Hebrew father counseled his son, so God says to us: "The discipline of Jehovah, O my son, do not reject; and do not abhor his reproof, because the one whom Jehovah loves he reproves, even as a father does a son in whom he finds pleasure." (Prov. 3:11, 12) As one striving to be an obedient son, you are thankful that the matter was called to your attention, that someone was interested enough in you to set you right. Far better that we be corrected early in a wrong course than to go our own way unchecked, for the wise inspired writer tells us: "His own errors will catch the wicked one, and in the ropes of his own sin he will be taken hold of. He will be the one to die because there is no discipline, and because in the abundance of his foolishness he goes astray."-Prov. 5:22, 23.

23 Everyone meets problems in taking a Christian course, perhaps in his own family, in relations with workmates or friends. But you can take comfort from the wise counsel: "Roll your works upon Jehovah himself and your plans will be firmly established." (Prov. 16:3) You can take your problems to Jehovah in prayer with assurance that he will answer you. "The prayer of the upright ones is a pleasure to him" and "the prayer of the righteous ones he hears." (Prov. 15:8, 29) Jehovah will strengthen you and 'firmly establish' the plans you make to serve him acceptably.-Eccl. 4:9-12.

24 In the past, perhaps you gave primary attention to the material needs of your household. But now you see their spiritual need. The Bible gives the balanced view, as it says: "Prepare your work out of doors, and make it ready for yourself in the field. Afterward you must also build up your household." (Prov. 24:27) Just as the Hebrew farmer would take care of his field, preparing it for planting and harvesting of crops, so you, by secular work, provide material things for your family. But there your responsibility does not end. The need of building up your household spiritually is equally important. This, you find, is much more enjoyable than your secular work, and more rewarding, for you know that you are saving, not only yourself, but also those you love most dearly.-Compare 1 Timothy 4:15, 16.

25 You also come to realize the true meaning of the proverb: "Honor Jehovah with your valuable things and with the firstfruits of all your produce." Just as the Israelites brought their best to Jehovah, so the Christian does in all facets of his life. "Then," says the wisdom from God, "your stores of supply will be filled with plenty; and with new wine your own press vats will overflow." (Prov. 3:9, 10) This does not have primary reference to material riches, though God assures his people that their necessities of life will be provided. Mainly it refers to spiritual riches, along with the joy and security these bring. "Whenever you lie down you will feel no dread; and you will certainly lie down, and your sleep must be pleasurable. You will not need to be afraid of any sudden dreadful thing, nor of the storm upon the wicked ones, because it is coming. For Jehovah himself will prove to be, in effect, your confidence, and he will certainly keep your foot against capture."-Prov. 3:24-26.

26 As you take this course, you develop in your life the fruits of God's spirit. (Gal. 5:22, 23) You learn to love to talk about good things, about God's purposes. You develop the desire to help others and you talk about these things to others who do not know of God's fine provisions. As the proverb says: "The tongue of wise ones does good with knowledge, but the mouth of the stupid ones bubbles forth with foolishness." (Prov. 15:2) You learn to keep out of trouble by minding your own business, because you know that "the one guarding his mouth is keeping his soul. The one opening wide his lips-he will have ruin," and "a false word is what the righteous hates." You come to realize that, "he that is slow to anger is abundant in discernment."-Prov. 13:3, 5; 14:29; 16:32.

THE WAY OF HAPPINESS

27 Pursuing this newfound way of life, you begin to have a cheerful, optimistic outlook. "Happy is he that is trusting in Jehovah," said Solomon. (Prov. 16:20) You rejoice, not in a superficial way, as the world does, but deep in your heart, because you are enlightened by the truth. "The brightness of the eyes makes the heart rejoice." (Prov. 15:30) Your change in expression is noticed by your acquaintances. You even find benefits to your health, for medical doctors acknowledge the truth of the proverbs: "A calm heart is the life of the fleshly organism," and "a heart that is joyful does good as a curer." (Prov. 14:30; 17:22) While the world in general is sad, even in difficulties yours is not the hopeless sadness of the world. (Compare 1 Thessalonians 4:13.) Jehovah's witnesses, as they serve God, have found it true that "the one that is good at heart has a feast constantly." (Prov. 15:15) And about three times a year, at the assemblies of Jehovah's witnesses, all enjoy a specially fine time, a "feast," taking in Bible knowledge, enjoying good association and travel.

28 You come to have many associates in the Christian congregation that are spiritually "brothers and sisters." As the apostle Paul said, 'not many wise in a fleshly way, not many powerful, not many of noble birth' are among them. (1 Cor. 1:26-29) But rich or poor, they are lowly in heart, as Jesus was. Additionally, you find others in the world who are in a saddened state because of the increasing distress in the earth. These are lowly ones also. As you do good to these, Jehovah sees your kindness. The wise writer tells us: "He that is showing favor to the lowly one is lending to Jehovah, and his treatment He will repay to him." (Prov. 19:17) Though the lowly one may be unable to repay in any way, Jehovah counts the good done as obligating Him to repay, and he does so bountifully.

29 So, what are you doing with your life? or how do you want your life to turn out? Do you appreciate having a measure of life now? Are you willing to put forth a reasonable effort to learn of God's provisions and requirements for everlasting life? If so, are you willing then to continue on the right course, keeping up your spirituality by studying the Bible, associating and sharing regularly with those who are serving God in declaring the good news of God's kingdom? Are you willing to dedicate your life to Jehovah God, living in whole-souled devotion to him? If so, Jehovah God and his Son will love you, as will all those who are serving God, and they will help you to get on the pathway and stay in the course leading to everlasting life.

w87 5/15 28-30 Fear Jehovah and You Will Be Happy

Bible Highlights Proverbs 1:1-31:31

"The fear of Jehovah is the start of wisdom." (Proverbs 9:10) How well this is shown in Proverbs! This Bible book, completed about 716 B.C.E., helps us to display wisdom, applying knowledge aright. Heed these wise sayings and you will be happy.

Listen to Wisdom

Read Proverbs 1:1-2:22. "The fear of Jehovah" is the very essence of knowledge. If we accept discipline, we will not join sinners in wrongdoing. To those fearing Jehovah, he gives wisdom that safeguards them against wrongdoers.

1:7-What is "the fear of Jehovah"?

It is awe, profound reverence, and a wholesome dread of displeasing him because we appreciate his loving-kindness and goodness. "Fear of Jehovah" means acknowledging that he is the Supreme Judge and the Almighty, with the right and power to bring punishment or death upon those disobeying him. It also means serving God faithfully, trusting in him completely, and hating what is bad in his sight.-Psalm 2:11; 115:11; Proverbs 8:13.

2:7-What is integrity?

Hebrew terms relating to integrity have the root meaning of that which is "whole" or "complete." They often signify moral soundness and uprightness. "Those walking in integrity" are unswerving in devotion to Jehovah. For such "upright ones" he is a protective "shield" because they manifest true wisdom and conform to his righteous standards.

Lesson for Us: If we fear Jehovah, we will accept the discipline he provides through his Word and organization. Failure to do so would class us with "fools," ungodly sinners. So let us accept his loving discipline.-Proverbs 1:7; Hebrews 12:6.

Prize Wisdom

Read Proverbs 3:1-4:27. To have good insight, "trust in Jehovah with all your heart." Happiness is enjoyed by those esteeming wisdom highly. Their path is like an ever-brightening light, but they need to safeguard the heart.

4:18-How does 'the path of the righteous' get lighter?

The sun's light gets brighter from dawn until "the day is firmly established." Similarly, spiritual light gets brighter for Jehovah's people as time goes on. As we draw much closer to events, our understanding of the outworking of Jehovah's purposes becomes clearer. Divine prophecies open up to us as God's holy spirit sheds light upon them, and as they are fulfilled in world events or in the experiences of Jehovah's people. Thus their 'path gets lighter and lighter.'

Lesson for Us: Displaying true wisdom and complying with divine commands will safeguard us against pursuing a foolish course that may lead to an early death. For instance, those ignoring Jehovah's commands against sexual immorality may contract sexually transmitted diseases that could result in premature death. So let us act in harmony with God's requirements, for then wisdom will be "a tree of life" in our case.-Proverbs 3:18.

Ways to Display Wisdom

Read Proverbs 5:1-9:18. It is a display of wisdom to avoid immorality and "rejoice with the wife of your youth." Seven things detestable to Jehovah are cited, and warnings are given against the seductions of a harlot. Wisdom personified is God's "master worker." And "fear of Jehovah is the start of wisdom."

6:1-5-Is this counsel contrary to the spirit of generosity?

This proverb does not discourage generosity, though it does counsel against getting involved in the business dealings of others, especially strangers. The Israelites were to help their brother who had 'grown poor.' (Leviticus 25:35-38) But some got involved in speculative business ventures and obtained financial backing by convincing others to 'go surety' for them, promising to pay their creditors if necessary. If a person got into such a predicament, perhaps through bragging, the wise advice was to deliver himself from it without delay.-Proverbs 11:15.

8:22-31-Is this merely a description of wisdom?

No, for wisdom has always existed as an attribute of the eternal God. (Job 12:13) Here, though, it is said that wisdom was "produced" and was "beside [Jehovah] as a master worker" during earth's creation. Identifying wisdom personified as God's Son fits the fact that "carefully concealed in him are all the treasures of wisdom and of knowledge."-Colossians 1:15, 16; 2:3.

Lesson for Us: By mentioning her "communion sacrifices" and "vows," the immoral woman of Proverbs chapter 7 may have been hinting that she did not lack spirituality. Communion sacrifices consisted of meat, flour, oil, and wine. (Leviticus 19:5, 6; 22:21; Numbers 15:8-10) So she was indicating that there was plenty to eat and drink at her house, and the "young man in want of heart" would have a good time there. This is typical of how a wrongly motivated person is led into immorality. How important to heed this warning and avoid such sin against God!-Genesis 39:7-12.

Thought-Provoking Contrasts

Read Proverbs 10:1-15:33. Solomon's proverbs begin largely with contrasting maxims. "The fear of Jehovah" is stressed.-10:27; 14:26, 27; 15:16, 33.

10:25-Why is reference made to a "storm wind"?

Lacking a foundation in righteous principles, the wicked are like unstable buildings that collapse in violent storms. But the righteous are stable because their thinking is solidly founded upon godly principles. Like a structure having a good foundation, they do not cave in under pressure.-Matthew 7:24-27.

11:22-How could a woman be like a nose ring in a pig's snout?

A gold nose ring inserted through a side of the nose or the partition separating the nostrils suggested that the wearer was a cultured person. But the Israelites considered swine unclean and loathsome. So a pretty but senseless woman is like an inappropriate gold nose ring in a pig's snout.

14:14-How is a faithless one satisfied?

"One faithless at heart" is satisfied with his materialistic life-style. (Psalm 144:11-15a) Doing what is right in God's eyes is of no consequence to him, and he does not think about having to render an account to Jehovah. (1 Peter 4:3-5) But "the good man" rejects the practices of faithless ones and is satisfied "with the results of his dealings." He keeps spiritual interests first, adheres to God's standards, has the supreme joy of serving Him, and is satisfied with divine blessings.-Psalm 144:15b.

15:23-How can we 'rejoice in the answer of our mouth'?

This can happen if our counsel is heeded and produces good results. But to assist someone, we must listen carefully, weigh the factors contributing to his problem, and base our counsel on the Bible. Such "a word at its right time is O how good!"

Lesson for Us: "A foolish person" angrily responds to an insult or "dishonor" quickly, "in the same day." But "the shrewd one"-a prudent individual-prays for God's spirit so as to exercise self-control and follow His Word. (Proverbs 12:16) By doing this, we can avoid further contention that could result in emotional or physical harm to ourselves or others.

Proverbs With Parallels

Read Proverbs 16:1-24:34. These wise sayings of Solomon give guidance mostly through parallel thoughts. Stressed again is "fear of Jehovah."-16:6; 19:23; 22:4; 23:17; 24:21.

17:19-What is wrong with a high entryway?

Those who did not make the doors to their houses and courts low risked having men on horseback ride in and take their goods. This proverb could also allude to the mouth as an entryway raised high by arrogant speech and boasting. Such talk fosters strife and eventually leads to disaster.

19:17-Why is helping the lowly like lending to Jehovah?

Lowly ones belong to God, and what we do to them is counted as done to him. (Proverbs 14:31) If love and generosity prompt us to show favor to the lowly or give gifts to the poor, expecting no return from them, Jehovah considers such giving as loans to him that he repays with favor and blessings.-Luke 14:12-14.

20:1-How is wine "a ridiculer"?

Wine can cause one overindulging in it to act in a ridiculous and boisterous way. Since heavy drinking produces such bad effects, Christians must avoid it.-1 Timothy 3:2, 3, 8; 1 Corinthians 6:9, 10; Proverbs 23:20, 21.

23:27-How is a prostitute a "pit" and a "well"?

As animals were caught in 'deep pits' dug by hunters, so the patrons of a prostitute are trapped in immorality. "A foreign woman" denotes a harlot, doubtless because most prostitutes in Israel were foreigners. Getting water from "a narrow well" involves difficulties because earthenware jars easily break on its sides. Similarly, those having dealings with harlots may experience emotional and physical calamities.-Proverbs 7:21-27.

Lesson for Us: "A lying witness" shows disrespect for God and could be put to death under the Law. Thus he could "perish" at the hands of men or Jehovah. (Proverbs 21:28; Deuteronomy 5:20; 19:16-21; compare Acts 5:1-11.) But 'the man listening' attentively spoke only when sure of what he had heard. His testimony stood "forever," not later being rejected as falsehood. Moreover, he was not executed as a false witness. Those testifying at judicial hearings among Jehovah's Witnesses should have listened carefully so as to be able to provide accurate information, for inaccurate or false testimony can be spiritually damaging.

Helpful Comparisons

Read Proverbs 25:1-29:27. Solomon's proverbs transcribed by King Hezekiah's men teach largely by comparison. Among other things, dependence on Jehovah is encouraged.

26:6-Why is a comparison drawn with 'mutilating one's feet'?

A person mutilating his feet would cripple himself, even as an individual employing "someone stupid" is doing crippling violence to his own interests. A project entrusted to a stupid person will fail. How wise, then, to 'test men for fitness' before recommending them for congregational responsibility!-1 Timothy 3:10.

27:17-How is a face 'sharpened'?

As a piece of iron can be used to sharpen a blade made of the same metal, one person may succeed in sharpening the intellectual and spiritual state of another. If disappointments and contact with uncongenial individuals depress us, a fellow believer's sympathetic look and Scriptural encouragement can be very uplifting. Our sad countenance changes for the better, and we are enlivened with fresh hope for renewed action.-Proverbs 13:12.

28:5-What does "everything" include?

Those practicing what is bad are blind spiritually. (Proverbs 4:14-17; 2 Corinthians 4:4) They do not "understand judgment" or what is right according to God's standards. Thus they cannot judge matters correctly and make proper decisions. But those "seeking Jehovah" by prayer and study of his Word "understand everything" needed to serve him acceptably.-Ephesians 5:15-17.

29:8-How do boastful talkers "inflame a town"?

Boasters who disrespect authority speak brashly. They thus fuel the fires of dispute and fan the flames so much that residents of an entire town are inflamed. But wise persons "turn back anger," speaking mildly and sensibly, dousing flames of wrath and promoting peace.-Proverbs 15:1.

Lesson for Us: If we are proud, haughtiness will result in our being humbled. (Proverbs 29:23) A haughty person is likely to be presumptuous, and this can lead to dishonor, stumbling, and a crash. (Proverbs 11:2; 16:18; 18:12) God may see to it that a proud individual is humbled, brought low in some way, perhaps to the point of destruction. Such a man craves glory, but people find his ways abhorrent. However, a person "humble in spirit will [eventually] take hold of glory."

'Weighty Messages'

Read Proverbs 30:1-31:31. Agur's "weighty message" acknowledges that "every saying of God is refined." Also cited are things too wonderful to comprehend, and so forth. (30:1-33) "The weighty message" Lemuel received from his mother warns that drinking intoxicants can pervert judgment, urges one to judge righteously, and describes a good wife.-31:1-31.

30:15, 16-What is the point of these examples?

They illustrate the insatiableness of greed. Leeches gorge themselves with blood, even as greedy persons always demand more money or power. Likewise, Sheol is never satisfied but remains open to receive more victims of death. A barren womb 'cries out' for children. (Genesis 30:1) Drought-stricken land drinks up rainwater and soon appears dry again. And a fire that has consumed things thrown into it sends out flames that lick up other combustibles in reach. So it is with greedy persons. But those guided by godly wisdom are not endlessly goaded on by such selfishness.

31:6, 7-Why give wine to those "bitter of soul"?

Intoxicating liquor and wine are sedatives. So they would be given to "one about to perish," or die, or to 'those bitter of soul' to make them less conscious of their pain and hardships. The ancient custom of giving criminals drugged wine to blunt the pain of execution may explain why Roman soldiers offered it to Jesus Christ at the time of his impalement. He refused such wine because he wanted to be in full possession of his faculties at that trying time and thus maintain integrity to God.-Mark 15:22-24.

31:15-Who are these "young women"?

Household maidservants are meant here. They had no reason to complain for want of food or assigned work. The industrious wife gave food to her household and also saw to it that these women had something to eat and duties to perform.

Lesson for Us: Being imperfect, at times we may senselessly 'lift ourselves up,' making efforts at self-exaltation. If we do this or speak angrily, we should "put the hand to the mouth," refraining from additional words that would further provoke the one we offended. As milk must be churned to make butter and a nosebleed usually requires the squeezing of the nose, a quarrel occurs when people give free rein to anger. (Proverbs 30:32, 33) In such cases, how wise it is to be silent and prevent more trouble!

What benefits we can derive from the book of Proverbs! Let us cherish these wise sayings that promote reverential fear of Jehovah. Applying them will surely make us happy.

it-2 703-7 Proverbs, Book of

A book consisting of a compilation of proverbs or wise sayings from a number of other collections. The book itself sets forth its objective: "For one to know wisdom and discipline, to discern the sayings of understanding, to receive the discipline that gives insight, righteousness and judgment and uprightness, to give to the inexperienced ones shrewdness, to a young man knowledge and thinking ability." (Pr 1:2-4) "The purpose is that you may walk in the way of good people and that the paths of the righteous ones you may keep."-2:20.

The introductions to three of the book's sections attribute the proverbs contained in them to Solomon. (Pr 1:1; 10:1; 25:1) This agrees with the fact that Solomon "could speak three thousand proverbs." (1Ki 4:32) There can be little question that many, if not all, of the proverbs in these sections were recorded during Solomon's reign. With reference to himself, Solomon stated: "The congregator had become wise, he also taught the people knowledge continually, and he pondered and made a thorough search, that he might arrange many proverbs in order. The congregator sought to find the delightful words and the writing of correct words of truth."-Ec 12:9, 10.

However, various arguments have been advanced against crediting most of the proverbs to Solomon. Certain proverbs (Pr 16:14; 19:12; 20:2; 25:3) have been cited as being derogatory to monarchs and therefore not from the time of Solomon. Upon closer examination, though, it is found that, instead of being derogatory, these proverbs exalt kings, showing that they should be accorded due fear because of their power. (Compare 24:21.) Those who claim that a polygamist like Solomon would not have spoken of husband-wife relationships in such a way as to imply monogamy (5:15-19; 18:22; 19:13, 14) lose sight of the fact that polygamy was not advocated but simply tolerated and regulated by the Law. And it may well be that the Jews generally practiced monogamy. Likewise such critics forget that Proverbs is inspired of God and is not simply the opinions of Solomon. Nevertheless, from his observations and his own experiences Solomon may very well have come to appreciate the wisdom of God's original standard for marriage, monogamy.-Compare Ec 2:8; 7:27-29.

The proverbs not attributed to Solomon had their origin in the sayings of other wise men and one woman. (Pr 22:17; 30:1; 31:1; see AGUR; LEMUEL.) Just when all these proverbs were put into final form is not precisely known. The last time indicator appearing in the book itself is a reference to Hezekiah's reign. (25:1) So there is a basis for believing that the proverbs were compiled in book form by the time of that ruler's death in c. 717 B.C.E. The repetition of certain proverbs suggests that the book was compiled from various separate collections.-Compare 10:1 and 15:20; 10:2 and 11:4; 14:20 and 19:4; 16:2 and 21:2.

Style and Arrangement. The book of Proverbs is written in Hebrew poetic style, which consists of thought rhythm, employing parallelisms, the ideas of which are either similar (Pr 11:25; 16:18; 18:15) or contrasting. (10:7, 30; 12:25; 13:25; 15:8) Its first section (1:1-9:18) consists of short discourses addressed by a father to a son or sons. This serves as an introduction to the short, pithy sayings found in the remaining sections of the book. The last 22 verses of the book are written in acrostic, or alphabetic, style, a form of composition also employed by David for a number of his psalms.-Ps 9, 10, 25, 34, 37, 145.

Inspired of God. The writers of the Christian Greek Scriptures testify to the fact that the book of Proverbs is part of God's inspired Word. The apostle Peter (1Pe 4:18; 2Pe 2:22; Pr 11:31 [LXX]; 26:11) and the disciple James (Jas 4:6; Pr 3:34, LXX) referred to it, as did the apostle Paul when writing to the Corinthians (2Co 8:21; Pr 3:4, LXX), the Romans (Ro 12:16, 20; Pr 3:7; 25:21, 22), and the Hebrews (Heb 12:5, 6; Pr 3:11, 12). Additionally, numerous parallel thoughts may be found in the Christian Greek Scriptures.-Compare Pr 3:7 with Ro 12:16; Pr 3:12 with Re 3:19; Pr 24:21 with 1Pe 2:17; Pr 25:6, 7 with Lu 14:7-11.

To Know Jehovah Is the Way of Life. The book of Proverbs speaks much about knowledge in conjunction with discernment, wisdom, understanding, and thinking ability. The knowledge that it strives to impart and encourage is, therefore, more than mere head knowledge, an array of facts or learning. Proverbs points out that any true knowledge has as its starting point an appreciation of one's relationship to Jehovah. In fact, at chapter 1, verse 7, the theme of the book is set forth: "The fear of Jehovah is the beginning of knowledge."

Of course, the most important knowledge that one can acquire is about God himself. "The knowledge of the Most Holy One is what understanding is," says Proverbs 9:10. This knowledge goes beyond the mere fact of God's existence and his creatorship, even beyond the knowledge of many facts about his dealings. To "know" him denotes a deep appreciation of his fine qualities and his great name, and a close relationship with him.

Jesus Christ said to Jews who had knowledge about God: "No one fully knows the Son but the Father, neither does anyone fully know the Father but the Son and anyone to whom the Son is willing to reveal him." (Mt 11:27) A knowledge of Jehovah's qualities will deepen one's proper fear of God, and it will bring the realization that Jehovah is deserving of all worship and service and that to know and obey him is the way of life. "The fear of Jehovah is a well of life, to turn away from the snares of death," and, "The fear of Jehovah tends toward life."-Pr 14:27; 19:23.

Jehovah the Creator. Jehovah, in matchless wisdom, is the Creator of all things and the Decreer of the laws governing these things; so he deserves the worship of all creatures. (Pr 3:19, 20) He made the hearing ear and the seeing eye, both literally and in a moral sense. Accordingly, one must look to Him in order to see and hear with true understanding. And a person must realize his accountability to the One who sees and hears all.-20:12.

Righteousness. The book exalts Jehovah as the center of all things and the One in whom all righteous principles find their origin. For example: "The just indicator and scales belong to Jehovah; all the stone weights of the bag are his work." (Pr 16:11) His will as the Lawgiver is that honesty and justice rule in all transactions. (11:1; 20:10) By fearing him, one learns to love what He loves and to hate what He hates and thereby make one's way of life straight, for "the fear of Jehovah means the hating of bad." (8:13) Proverbs reveals that Jehovah especially hates lofty eyes, a false tongue, hands shedding innocent blood, a heart fabricating hurtful schemes, feet in a hurry to run to badness, a false and lying witness, and one causing contentions among brothers. (6:16-19; 12:22; 16:5) One who truly hates these things is well on the way to life.

Additionally, the book of Proverbs illuminates the way of the righteous by showing what Jehovah approves. "The ones blameless in their way are a pleasure to him," as also are the prayers of such ones. (Pr 11:20; 15:8, 29) "One that is good gets approval from Jehovah." (12:2) "The one pursuing righteousness he loves."-15:9.

Judgment and direction. One knowing Jehovah realizes through knowledge and experience that, as Proverbs 21:30 says, "there is no wisdom, nor any discernment, nor any counsel in opposition to Jehovah." Therefore, though he may hear other plans or have them in his own heart, the sensible person will direct his way of life in harmony with the counsel of Jehovah, knowing that contrary counsel, no matter how seemingly wise or plausible, cannot stand against the word of Jehovah.-Pr 19:21; compare Jos 23:14; Mt 5:18.

Inspired King Solomon said: "Trust in Jehovah with all your heart . . . In all your ways take notice of him, and he himself will make your paths straight." (Pr 3:5, 6) A man's heart chooses the way he desires to go, but even when he chooses the correct way, to succeed he must look to Jehovah to direct his steps.-16:3, 9; 20:24; Jer 10:23.

Having chosen the path of life, the individual should recognize Jehovah's keen interest in him. Proverbs reminds us that Jehovah's eyes "are in every place, keeping watch upon the bad ones and the good ones." (Pr 15:3) "For the ways of man are in front of the eyes of Jehovah, and he is contemplating all his tracks." (5:21) Not only what he appears to be outwardly but also his heart is examined by Jehovah. (17:3) "Jehovah is making an estimate of hearts" (21:2), and He weighs the true value of the thinking, motivation, and inmost desires of the person.

The judgments of Jehovah are shown to be altogether, in every respect, right and for the good of those who seek uprightness. In due time God will clear the wicked out of the land, their death being the price of freedom for the righteous ones. Accordingly, the proverb states: "The wicked is a ransom for the righteous one; and the one dealing treacherously takes the place of the upright ones." (Pr 21:18) Among such wicked ones are the proud, who are detestable to Jehovah. They "will not be free from punishment." (16:5) "The house of the self-exalted ones Jehovah will tear down." (15:25) He will "rob of soul" those robbing the lowly.-22:22, 23.

By observing these dealings of Jehovah the right-minded man makes his paths straight. (Compare Pr 4:26.) He sees that allowing partiality through bribery (17:23) or influence of personality (18:5) causes one to pervert judgment. 'Pronouncing the wicked righteous and the righteous wicked' would make him detestable in Jehovah's eyes. (17:15) He also learns not to be prejudiced but to hear fully both sides of a matter before judging it.-18:13.

Security with happiness. To the one who guards practical wisdom and thinking ability that he receives from Jehovah, the book of Proverbs says: "Jehovah himself will prove to be, in effect, your confidence, and he will certainly keep your foot against capture." (Pr 3:21, 26; 10:29; 14:26) If one fears Jehovah, "in that case there will exist a future." (23:17, 18) Moreover, not only is there a future hope but there is also happiness and security for the present time. (3:25, 26) "When Jehovah takes pleasure in the ways of a man he causes even his enemies themselves to be at peace with him." (16:7) God will not let the righteous one go hungry. (10:3) If a person honors God with the valuable things he possesses, his "stores of supply will be filled with plenty." (3:9, 10) He adds days to such a man's life.-10:27.

One 'taking refuge' in Jehovah's name (understanding and acknowledging that name for all that it represents) will find it to be like a strong tower, a place to which, in ancient times, people fled for safety from the enemy.-Pr 18:10; 29:25.

Humility before Jehovah brings "riches and glory and life." (Pr 22:4) Mercy and truth are what he desires; these are more valuable than sacrifice. Those who turn from bad, who fear Jehovah, and who serve him in this manner will not receive his adverse judgment. (Pr 16:6; compare 1Sa 15:22.) By knowing Jehovah's ways, one can follow "the entire course of what is good."-Pr 2:9.

Aimed at the Heart. To achieve its purpose, the book of Proverbs aims at the heart. More than 75 times it refers to the heart as receiving knowledge, understanding, wisdom, and discernment; as being responsible for words and actions; or as being affected by circumstances and conditions. The heart is to be applied to discernment (Pr 2:2); the heart is to observe right commandments (3:1); these are to be written "upon the tablet of [the] heart." (3:3) "More than all else" the heart is to be safeguarded. (4:23) It is with all the heart that one is to trust in Jehovah.-3:5; See HEART.

Discipline and the heart. Proverbs puts a high value on discipline in various forms. (Pr 3:11, 12) It says: "Anyone shunning discipline is rejecting his own soul, but the one listening to reproof is acquiring heart." (15:32) So reproof reaches to and adjusts the heart, helping one to acquire good sense or discernment. "For want of heart [lack of discernment] the foolish themselves keep dying." (10:21) Because it is the heart that must be reached in training children, we are informed: "Foolishness is tied up with the heart of a boy; the rod of discipline is what will remove it far from him."-22:15.

The Spirit and the Soul. Proverbs is not a book of statements of mere men's wisdom, of how to please or influence men. Rather, Proverbs goes deep, into the heart as affecting thinking and motivation, into the spirit or mental inclination, and into the soul as comprising every fiber of one's being and personality. (Heb 4:12) Even though a man may think he is right, or may justify himself in his actions, 'all the ways of a man being pure in his own eyes,' Proverbs 16:2 reminds us that "Jehovah is making an estimate of spirits" and so knows what one's disposition is. Might or power is highly prized in the world, but "he that is slow to anger is better than a mighty man, and he that is controlling his spirit than the one capturing a city."-Pr 16:32.

Getting the knowledge and wisdom of this divinely provided book will greatly help a person to find happiness in this present life and will put him on the pathway to everlasting life. Since "he that is acquiring heart is loving his own soul," the inspired counsel and discipline therein, if followed, will add "length of days and years of life" and "will prove to be life to your soul." (Pr 19:8; 3:2, 13-18, 21-26) "Jehovah will not cause the soul of the righteous one to go hungry." (10:3) "He that is keeping the commandment is keeping his soul," Solomon admonishes.-19:16.

Relations With Others. Proverbs describes the true servant of God as one who uses his tongue for good (Pr 10:20, 21, 31, 32), not speaking falsely nor even hurting others by thoughtless words. (12:6, 8, 17-19; 18:6-8, 21) If provoked, he turns away the rage of his opponent by a mild answer. (15:1; 25:15) He does not enjoy disputes or quarrels, and he exercises self-control against outbursts of anger, knowing that he might commit irreparable foolishness. (Pr 14:17, 29; 15:18; compare Col 3:8.) In fact, he will avoid companionship with those letting anger control them and who display fits of rage, for he knows that they would bring him into a snare.-Pr 22:24, 25; compare 13:20; 14:7; 1Co 15:33.

Render good, not evil. The inspired Proverbs urge one to take the initiative to do good toward others. Not only is he to act with good toward those 'dwelling in security' with him, who have rendered no bad to him (Pr 3:27-30), but he is also urged to return good for bad. (25:21, 22) He is to watch his heart closely, that he does not have inner rejoicing at calamity that comes to one whom he despises or to one who hates him.-17:5; 24:17, 18.

Gossip and slander. Much is said in the book of Proverbs about the trouble, grief, and damage brought by gossiping, as well as the gravity of the guilt resting on the talebearer. The 'choice morsel' of a slanderer is "swallowed greedily" by its hearer and is not taken lightly but makes a lasting impression, going down "into the innermost parts of the belly." Therefore it causes trouble, and the speaker cannot 'wash his hands' of guilt. Though such a person may appear very gracious and may disguise his true heart condition, God will see to it that the hate and badness that is actually within him is "uncovered in the congregation." He will fall into the pit he has dug for someone else.-Pr 26:22-28.

Family relationships. In the Proverbs marital fidelity is strictly counseled. One should find delight in 'the wife of his youth' and not be seeking satisfaction elsewhere. (Pr 5:15-23) Adultery will bring ruin and death to its practicers. (5:3-14; 6:23-35) A good wife is "a crown" and a blessing to her husband. But if a wife acts shamefully, she is "as rottenness in [her husband's] bones." (12:4) And it is a misery to a man even to live with a wife that is contentious. (25:24; 19:13; 21:19; 27:15, 16) Outwardly pretty and charming though she may be, she is like "a gold nose ring in the snout of a pig." (11:22; 31:30) A foolish woman actually tears down her own house. (14:1) The fine value of the good wife-her industriousness, trustworthiness, and management of the household in faithfulness and submission to her husband-is fully described in Proverbs chapter 31.

Parents are shown to be fully responsible for their children, and discipline is emphasized as essential. (Pr 19:18; 22:6, 15; 23:13, 14; 29:15, 17) The father's responsibility is highlighted, but the child must respect both father and mother if he wants life from Jehovah.-19:26; 20:20; 23:22; 30:17.

Animal care. Even concern for domestic animals is considered in the Proverbs. "The righteous one is caring for the soul of his domestic animal." (Pr 12:10) "You ought to know positively the appearance of your flock."-27:23.

Government stability and fidelity. The Proverbs express principles of good government. Men of high station, such as kings, should search matters through (Pr 25:2), manifest loving-kindness and trueness (20:28), and deal justly with their subjects (29:4; 31:9), including the lowly ones (29:14). Their counselors cannot be wicked men if the rulership is to be firmly established by righteousness. (25:4, 5) A leader must be a man of discernment and a hater of unjust profit.-28:16.

Whereas 'righteousness exalts a nation' (Pr 14:34), transgression results in unstable government. (28:2) Revolution also brings great instability, and it is counseled against at Proverbs 24:21, 22: "My son, fear Jehovah and the king. With those who are for a change, do not intermeddle. For their disaster will arise so suddenly, that who is aware of the extinction of those who are for a change?"

Useful for Counsel. Since the Proverbs cover a wide range of human endeavor, they can provide a basis for giving much practical counsel and admonition, as they did for the writers of the Christian Greek Scriptures. "The heart of the righteous one meditates so as to answer." (Pr 15:28) However, it is not wise to counsel ridiculers. "He that is correcting the ridiculer is taking to himself dishonor, and he that is giving a reproof to someone wicked-a defect in him. Do not reprove a ridiculer, that he may not hate you. Give a reproof to a wise person and he will love you." (Pr 9:7, 8; 15:12; compare Mt 7:6.) Not all persons are ridiculers, and hence those in a position to counsel others should do so, as is highlighted by the words: "The very lips of the righteous one keep pasturing many."-Pr 10:21.

[Box on page 705]

HIGHLIGHTS OF PROVERBS

A book consisting of sections in the form of discourses as well as collections of wise sayings regarding practical matters of life

Though attributed chiefly to King Solomon, Proverbs was not compiled in its entirety until Hezekiah's reign

The excelling value of wisdom

Wisdom, along with understanding, is the prime thing (4:5-8; 16:16)

Essentials for gaining wisdom (2:1-9; 13:20)

Benefits that come from wisdom, such as security, protection, honor, and a longer, happier life (2:10-21; 3:13-26, 35; 9:10-12; 24:3-6, 13, 14)

Wisdom personified was Jehovah's coworker (8:22-31)

The bitter consequences for failing to act wisely (1:24-32; 2:22; 6:12-15)

Proper attitude toward Jehovah

Trust in Jehovah (3:5, 6; 16:20; 18:10; 29:25)

Fear him and shun badness (3:7; 10:27; 14:26, 27; 16:6; 19:23)

Honor him, supporting true worship (3:9, 10)

Accept his discipline as an expression of love (3:11, 12)

Show appreciation for his word (3:1-4; 30:5, 6)

Find out what Jehovah hates and act in harmony with this knowledge (6:16-19; 11:20; 12:22; 16:5; 17:15; 28:9)

If we please Jehovah, he will care for us, protect us, and hear our prayers (10:3, 9, 30; 15:29; 16:3)

Fine counsel governing family life

A capable wife is a blessing from Jehovah (12:4; 14:1; 18:22; 31:10-31)

Parents should give their children training and discipline (13:1, 24; 22:6, 15; 23:13, 14; 29:15, 17)

Children should deeply respect their parents (1:8, 9; 4:1-4; 6:20-22; 10:1; 23:22-26; 30:17)

Love and peace are very desirable in the home (15:16, 17; 17:1; 19:13; 21:9, 19)

Resist immorality and thus avoid much pain and suffering (5:3-23; 6:23-35; 7:4-27; 9:13-18)

Traits that should be cultivated, and those that should be avoided

Cultivate loving consideration for the poor and afflicted (3:27, 28; 14:21, 31; 19:17; 21:13; 28:27)

Be generous, avoid greed (11:24-26)

Cultivate diligence; do not be lazy (6:6-11; 10:26; 13:4; 20:4; 24:30-34; 26:13-16)

Modesty and humility bring honor; presumptuousness and pride lead to humiliation (11:2; 16:18, 19; 25:6, 7; 29:23)

Have self-control in the matter of anger (14:29; 16:32; 25:28; 29:11)

Avoid a malicious spirit or a desire for revenge (20:22; 24:17, 18, 28, 29; 25:21, 22)

Practice righteousness in everything (10:2; 11:18, 19; 14:32; 21:3, 21)

Practical guidelines for daily living

Respond properly to discipline, reproof, counsel (13:18; 15:10; 19:20; 27:5, 6)

Be a true friend (17:17; 18:24; 19:4; 27:9, 10)

Be discreet in accepting hospitality (23:1-3, 6-8; 25:17)

Materialism is vain (11:28; 23:4, 5; 28:20, 22)

Hard work brings blessings (12:11; 28:19)

Cultivate honest business practices (11:1; 16:11; 20:10, 23)

Beware of going surety for others, especially for strangers (6:1-5; 11:15; 22:26, 27)

Shun unwholesome speech; be sure your speech is upbuilding (10:18-21, 31, 32; 11:13; 12:17-19; 15:1, 2, 4, 28; 16:24; 18:8)

Flattery is treacherous (28:23; 29:5)

Avoid quarrels (3:30; 17:14; 20:3; 26:17)

Shun bad associations (1:10-19; 4:14-19; 22:24, 25)

Learn to deal wisely with ridiculers as well as with foolish ones (9:7, 8; 19:25; 22:10; 26:4, 5)

Avoid the pitfalls of strong drink (20:1; 23:29-35; 31:4-7)

Do not envy the wicked (3:31-34; 23:17, 18; 24:19, 20)

All public talk references based on literature published by
    the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of New York, Inc.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I'd love to see the look on your friend's face when you hand him the talk outline and scriptural references, all printed up. You might really impress him by sliding it between a couple of clear plastic covers, the kind with the hard plastic spine on one end (a few cents at any office supply store).

As JT used to say: You gotta love this net thang!

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

Nice work, guys.

I would be interested in hearing what the friend has to say...

-Aude.

• blondie
    blondie

Follow the Way to Life
    045 - Reference Material

http://hufffamily.com/html/045_Follow_the_Way_to_Life.htm

http://hufffamily.com/html/public_talk_research.html

For future talks.

Many times with first talks, an MS will give a symposium with an elder, thus each one gives 22 1/2 minutes approximately.

Blondie

• Honesty
    Honesty

Who knows, your MS friend may see the light when he sees the outline is readily available to everyone but the dubs and give a really great talk about how the evil JW cult keeps the sheep in the dark and feeds them BS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit