How fortunate we are!!!

by gringojj 120 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gringojj
    gringojj

Quetzal

The Resplendent Bird

BY AWAKE! CORRESPONDENT IN COSTA RICA

COSTA RICA covers less than 0.03 percent of the earth's surface, yet it is home to 875 registered species of birds. According to one source, that is more than the number found in Canada and the United States combined. It is, therefore, not surprising that Costa Rica has become a principal destination for bird-watching enthusiasts. Let us share with you our journey to view one of these birds, the resplendent quetzal.

In the early 1500's, the Spanish conquistador Hernán Cortés arrived in Mexico. There, as a gift from the Aztecs, he received a headdress of quetzal feathers. Only Aztec royalty had the privilege of wearing such highly esteemed adornments. The jade-green plumes of the quetzal may have been considered more valuable than gold.

Today this extraordinarily beautiful bird claims as its habitat a vast territory from Mexico to Panama. The quetzal can be found in cloud forests at altitudes of between 4,000 and 10,000 feet [1,200 to 3,000 m]. The clouds in the forests are the product of rising warm air cooling quickly. The results are year-round lush vegetation in verdant tones and massive trees that reach one hundred feet [30 m] or more into the fog.

About 100 miles [200 km] north of San José is the Santa Elena Forest Reserve—a good location to observe the quetzal in its natural environment. With the help of a guide, we begin our quest to sight a resplendent quetzal. Because of its jadelike coloring, the bird is difficult to see, as it blends into the forest's foliage. Our guide begins to mimic its soft, mellow call. The sound is similar to a whimpering pup. In fact, upon hearing the quetzal's response, one woman in our group actually thinks that there is a dog lost in the forest!

Soon, some 50 feet [15 m] up, a male shyly comes out on a branch to investigate. Through binoculars its radiant colors appear even more spectacular than we had imagined. Its breast is a deep crimson-red, contrasting with its jadelike feathers. Adding to its stunning splendor are its white tail feathers, which contrast with its two iridescent green ones. Known as streamers, they measure some 24 inches [60 cm] in length. To see the quetzal sitting high on a limb with its long streamers flowing gently in the breeze is a sight of tranquil beauty.

A quetzal sighting is a unique experience. In fact, our guide mentioned that it often takes more than one trip into the forest to see one. The best time to observe quetzals is during their nesting season, which runs from March to June. During this time they may have two broods of two eggs each.

Upon returning to the reserve office, we hear another quetzal. Gliding gracefully and trailed by its green streamers, it lands on a limb not more than 16 feet [5 m] from where we are sitting! The guide informs us that a chick has disappeared from its nest. The father is going from tree to tree in search of its offspring. We learn that only about 25 percent of eggs survive to maturity. The rest are lost to such predators as squirrels, emerald toucanets, brown jays, weasels, and tayras. Another challenge to the quetzals' survival involves the location of their nests, which are woodpeckerlike holes that quetzals make between 10 and 60 feet [3-20 m] above the ground in old decaying tree trunks. When heavy rain falls, the holes can flood or collapse.

We also learn that the quetzal's favorite food is the wild avocado. It will sit on a limb eyeing an avocado that dangles from the branch of a neighboring tree. Then, with a flurry of beating wings, it will zero in on its target, grab the fruit with its mouth, and return to its roost. It swallows the fruit whole and some 20 to 30 minutes later regurgitates the avocado's large seed.

In their search for wild avocados, quetzals will migrate to different slopes of the Continental Divide. For example, from July to September, they are at home on the Pacific slope. Then in October they move to the Caribbean side to feed on a new crop of avocados.

As we cross a suspended bridge about 100 feet [30 m] above the forest floor, a quetzal almost flies into us! It seems that this bird was in pursuit of its lunch when we crossed its path. The female sits just above us, giving us a scolding look for intruding.

We are also told that another fruit they enjoy is the blackberry, which grows on thorny bushes. As the quetzals swoop down to grab the fruit, they sometimes get their streamers caught in the thorns and lose them. Eventually, though, their tail feathers grow back.

In this way the bird can live up to its name. "Quetzal" is taken from the Aztec word "quetzalli," meaning "precious" or "beautiful." Unfortunately, its beauty has posed a threat to the quetzal's survival. In fact, the quetzal is listed as an endangered species. They have been hunted for their skins, which have been sold as souvenirs. Some of the birds have been captured alive to be sold as pets. However, according to our guide, the quetzal now enjoys some legal protection from such plundering.

Yet another threat to its survival is deforestation, which results in loss of habitat. For the protection of this resplendent bird and other wildlife, about 27 percent of Costa Rica has been set aside as preserved areas.

Our journey to view the quetzal has truly been rewarding. True, you can see the headdress of quetzal feathers given to Hernán Cortés in the British Museum in London. But quetzal feathers are far more interesting when seen on a living bird in the wild! For the time being, at least, wild quetzals continue to enjoy freedom and relative safety in the cloud forests of Central America.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Oh goody! Another report that could have been written by a 6th grader with access to a library or the internet! Yes, what would we all do without this wonderful bounty of spritual food at the proper time???

• gringojj
    gringojj

Yes we are so fortunate to have Jehovah using the WTS to feed us this great food! What an honor that Jehovah had the WTS reveal the good news about the quetzal at this time! I cannot imagine how my life would be without the knowledge of this resplendant bird! How fortunate we are!!!!!!!!!!

• gringojj
    gringojj

How fortunate we are!

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Letters from readers:

"I cried when I read your article about the resplendant bird. I was working in on my conveyor belt in Detroit, when I suddenly fell over in the heat of the day. I was concussed. Fortunately I had left a copy of the Asleep magazine on 'The Repslendent Bird' in the staff room. Someone ran to the room and retreived the magazine. After hitting me round the head with it several times I was revived and the ambulance took me to hospital.

I fell in love with the paramedic after he gave me the kiss of life, my mariage fell apart, I lost my job for shirking on the job, and my house got reposessed because I couldnt keep up the repayments after I lost my job. My kids got taken by social services BUT I thank Jehoobah that I am still alive, thanks to the resplendent bird.

• potleg
    potleg

See the bird

The bird has feathers

The feathers are pretty

Se the pretty bird fly

See the people

The people don't go to the hall

The people have fun

God's going to smash their bleedin' heads in

Have a nice day readers

• gringojj
  • in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

i noticed that a couple of months ago when i was reading that wonderful article. i just dont get what the difference between luck and fortune is. there is a guy at my work and we call him lucky because his name in italian is "fortunato".... soooooooooo? if luck in italian is fortunato and fortunato obviously is the same as fortune, what's the goddam difference yo?

bethel minute

• gringojj
    gringojj

The Quetzal is resplendent! Resplendent I tell you!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I liked the part about the jadelike coloring, makes it hard to see. Wow!

W.Once

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit