Why are honest questions considered apostasy?

by Rayvin 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• arwen
    arwen

Where am I now? I am on the slow train out. Maybe faster than I think. I am seriously thinking about disassociating myself but I want to do it without having a big meeting about it. I have learned so much from this board and i don't think I have to subject myself to questions, grilling, etc, I have no strenght to fight but I no long believe that the WBTS has the truth and I want out.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

All questions deserve honest answers, especially when the information directly impacts the life of the person asking. However, to JWs, a question becomes "apostate" when it is perceived to lead logically to a conclusion out of line with the WT agenda. For example,

Question: "Why did the Society register as an NGO with the United Nations?"

This is an honest question, one that deserves a clear, straightforward answer, in light of the obvious issues it raises. The problem for the person answering this question is that it is impossible to answer it accurately and straightforwardly without the risk of negative consequences for the organization. Therefore, in cases such as these WT apologists rely on smokescreens, name calling, and subject changing, to avoid answering the question.

The fact of the matter is that asking questions can never be dishonest. Refusing to answer them, however, is. Turning around and attempting to impugn the motives of the person asking the question is an absurd mockery of true honesty.

People that cannot answer questions straightforwardly usually have something to hide. By putting the blame on the person asking a question whenever it does not like where the answer may lead, the Society shows what it is truly made of.

SNG

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

Welcome Rayvin

The society cannot defend it ridiculous and made up doctrines there for the you cab never question da "troof."

DL76

• Generic Man
    Generic Man

Leolaia,

You've basically described my teenage years. I never wanted to became baptised, but I felt obligated to do so by my parents. So I got baptised when I was about 17 or 18, even though I never had any faith and I always doubted the authority of the "faithful and discreet slave." Needless to say, I never dared to share my doubts and I was always felt forced to keep my feelings to my self. Because I had to be so secretive about my feelings, I never felt like I was one of the Witnesses, but a pretender. I thought that maybe I could go through my entire life pretending, but then I came to that point when I knew that someday I have to leave this religion and live my life (this was partially because of reading Crisis of Conscience and mostly because of experience). Now I know why I was so miserable during my teen years. It was because of this double standard where people who study with Jehovah's Witnesses get a choice, but people like me who were born into this religion don't.

Rayvin,

Welcome to the board. I understand how you feel.

• econaut
    econaut

Welcome!

I agree whole heartedly with what Leolaia posted above.

econaut

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor
    You mean ones like "So, when DID you stop beating your wife and kids, Brother Closetdrinker?"

LOL

By asking questions, you force them to face their own inadequacies. I mean, how many JWs do you know that can show you from scripture how they arrived at 1914 as the return of Christ? Most of them have to go "look it up" in JW literature and make copious notes (or ask an elder to explain it).

You would think that such a core tenet of their belief system would have an easy explanation that would roll off the tongue of every JW.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Thats right.. they do encourage people just studing to ask questions. I also remember in service too that if we came to a person that would just keep asking questions etc.. and got their bible out for a discussion we were told to politely end the conversation , that the person at the door was obviously just wanting to argue. That always confused me. The people at the door sometimes had a good point!

That's because the WTBTS is a LIE and they do not want their victims to find out what the Bible plainly says. They claim that no one can understand the Bible without their interpretation but the truth is the Bible was written so anyone can understand it.

• Flash
    Flash

Rayvin

Everytime they talk to me about going back to the meetings or about the conventions..etc i get sick to my stomach. I can't hear one more hypocrytical talk. "loving kindness" " non-judging" MY BUTT!

Your exactly right! The GB are mostly self-righteous hypocrites and those Elders that support them are no better.

Why are honest questions considered apostacy??? CONTROL, its all about controling the sheeplike masses. Its not at all what God or His Son intended...Remember Abraham questioned God at length!

Welcome to JWD!

PS: I recently decided to put Birthdays, Mothers Day and Fathers Day back ON my calender. The Witness logic just isn't suffient to abstain any longer...The same is true for gambling, I don't love money but I do enjoy having a good time with it, winning or losing...Though I do set a limit for my losses.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    It was because of this double standard where people who study with Jehovah's Witnesses get a choice, but people like me who were born into this religion don't.

Amen! You've just said in a sentence what it took me a paragraph to say.

• gespro
    gespro

WELCOME RAYVIN Hang in there... SeattleNG

The fact of the matter is that asking questions can never be dishonest

The jury over here is still out on this one...could you explain? [I'm not trying to be a wiseguy but I'm not understanding this statement...]

It was because of this double standard where people who study with Jehovah's Witnesses get a choice, but people like me who were born into this religion don't

Well said, GenericMan!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit