Why are honest questions considered apostasy?

by Rayvin 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

This is why as i was growing up (raised in "the truth") i never asked questions. I never understood the Birthday issue among other holidays. I never asked because i was scared i would be looked at as an apostate or as someone being worn down by the wicked association. Any question i did ask was given a very broad and general response. If the JW religion is "The Truth" then there should be a logical and reasonable answer to EVERY question i have.

How do you go about asking questions even out of curiosity with out being considered 'bad'? I am publicly reproved and trying to just hang on till my parents pass away to try to save them from too much heartache. Everytime they talk to me about going back to the meetings or about the conventions..etc i get sick to my stomach. I can't hear one more hypocrytical talk. "loving kindness" " non-judging" MY BUTT!

Sorry.. first time posting and had to get it out.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

If the JW religion is "The Truth" then there should be a logical and reasonable answer to EVERY question i have.

Agreed - well nearly every question - I do not believe there is anyone or any group of people on this planet that can answer logically every possible question - e,g the origin of the universe life etc. But YES - the Truth should be able to stand up to intense scrutiny

WELCOME TO THE BOARD BTW

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

How do you go about asking questions even out of curiosity with out being considered 'bad'? I am publicly reproved and trying to just hang on till my parents pass away to try to save them from too much heartache. Everytime they talk to me about going back to the meetings or about the conventions..etc i get sick to my stomach. I can't hear one more hypocrytical talk. "loving kindness" " non-judging" MY BUTT!

Sorry.. first time posting and had to get it out.

Glad you posted -yes I still go to meetings for family sake but hang around on this board there really are some great, non-judgemental people who can answer most of your questions, logically and reasonably

• kls
    kls

Welcome Rayvin to this place and yes as you say you can never ask question or you are having Apostate thoughts. You are not allowed to reseach or think outside the wt, and when you ask questions the elders usually never know the answers so right away you are having demon thoughts.

Great place to vent so let it out

• kls
    kls

oops ,double post

• jgnat
    jgnat

AFIN the JW apologist told me my JW husband's honest questions weren't rocket science and he should have figured them out for himself.

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"I do not believe there is anyone or any group of people on this planet that can answer logically every possible question - e,g the origin of the universe life etc."

Agreed ... stuff like "Well, if God was NOT here always, who created Him?" or "If the universe is not infinite, what lies outside of it?" There are some questions that just can't yet be answered by religion, philosophy, or science.

On the other hand, getting slapped down for asking questions ... especially by an organization that ENCOURAGES people to question their religious beliefs (if they currently attend some other church) ... is ludicrous.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Welcome, Rayvin.

The truth is that they don't have the answers to back up their ideas in scripture, so they use fear to keep the questions from being asked.

Don't know how else to put it, they are dishonest.

J

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

On the other hand, getting slapped down for asking questions ... especially by an organization that ENCOURAGES people to question their religious beliefs (if they currently attend some other church) ... is ludicrous ---------------and down right hypocritical.

EXACTLY Dan-O

• Rayvin
    Rayvin

Dan-O

Thats right.. they do encourage people just studing to ask questions. I also remember in service too that if we came to a person that would just keep asking questions etc.. and got their bible out for a discussion we were told to politely end the conversation , that the person at the door was obviously just wanting to argue. That always confused me. The people at the door sometimes had a good point!

My most recent issue is i am okay w/ celebrating B-days and having presents and lights up at xmas time. I told tell my parents about it but i have 3 kids - oldest is 6. She gets excited about it all and wants to tell everyone..lol I am gonna have to be okay w/ it all someday.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit