Why are honest questions considered apostasy?

by Rayvin 52 Replies latest jw experiences

• jgnat
    jgnat

Funny, that's what AFIN said, too. Here are the questions again. Sword of Jah, why would the elders not answer these honest-hearted questions? In all cases, the elders have not responded.

• I received a notice to appear as a jury member. Can JW's be on a jury?
    • My blood card is ten years old and I have not yet been reinstated as a publisher. How do I get a new card?
    • I have completed two additional book studies and have faithfully attended the meetings these past three years. I have humbly considered my motives, and I am ready to be accepted in to field service. Am I ready?
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

It's not been said enough that adults when they start to study are expected to ask questions and evaluate what they have learned, to come to a personal decision of whether it is the "truth". Children are not given the same benefit of the doubt. They are told it is the "truth" before they have any ability to fully understand what is taught, and when their critical thinking starts kicking in during their teenage years and they begin to have honest questions about areas of the doctrine that do not make sense or seem to be contradicted by other facts, IT'S TOO LATE! They would now be questioning years (if not a lifetime) of what their parents, elders, etc. have told them what to believe. "How could you doubt what you've believed your whole life? You've given talks in the TMS and gone door-to-door for years! Just don't leave Jehovah, it'll break our heart." An adult who studies has no obligation until they become baptized; a child is completely expected to get baptized and remain a Witness as a matter of course. Rather than giving children/teens the same freedom to evaluate the "truth" and walk away with no harm done if they decide it isn't the truth, JWs tend to view such natural questioning as dangerous and an excuse to get them into the elders' chamber for some straightening out.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Welcome to the board!! Your right you SHOULD be able to ask questions! I came in as an adult and like you I didn't want to ask questions because I was made to feel that I should understand everything and except it, but I didn't so I kept my mouth shut! looking back now, I wish I would have asked them, maybe I would have left earlier!!!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Excellent point, Leolaia. I have long thought that suppressing of individuality of young JW's by not allowing them to question or find their own path creates immature adults. Here's a quote from a study that confirms those instincts:

questioning of the Self’s values, plans and priorities is necessary for a mature identity

http://www.shef.ac.uk/socst/pg/PQ_current/AM_05/ChildDevelopmentModule1/IDformation.doc

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Wow, you totally nailed it Leolaia. Being born a JW is a curse passed on to us by our parents. The ultimate choice is made by the first person to come into the cult, and then passed on down over the years through their children. That is so scary.

GBL

• Odrade
    Odrade

Maybe it's not the questions that are considered apostasy, but not being willing to accept a shit answer.

"Wait on Jehovah"

"Study more and you will understand"

"I'm not going to anwer that, it's your homework assignment"

Plus all the other bad answers that are unacceptable to someone with a brain. If you get one of those so-called "answers" then don't shut up and quit asking, you are accused of apostasy.

Fine point, but JWs do make the claim that people are encouraged to think. So at what point does it all foul up?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Welcome!
    A wonderful way to be in absolute control of the answers, is to be in control of the questions. In a healthy environment I need the right answers. In a high control group, I need the right questions.

• potleg
    potleg

Welcome...anything the org can't answer without looking like an absolute idiot, or any question that calls them into question... that's... A .P.O.S.T A.C.Y....barf.

• arwen
    arwen

I asked the lady that studied with me about the book by James Penton, in fact, I had taken it out from the library and I showed it to her. She read through some of it but she was very knowledable about scriptures and explained away alot of things. I trusted her totally and I know whe thought she was being truthful so I just took the book back. I studied for a long, long time before I got baptized but didn't study the things I should have. After baptism, one doesn't ask many questions because everything from any other source but the Watchtower is "evil".

• potleg
    potleg

So Arwen where are ou now...?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit