Why JW are overweight and unhealthy

by 5thGeneration 61 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

damsel,

What is ironic is you insisting on dispensing health advice to someone who flat out didn't want/ask for it.

That is not actually an irony.

When a person posts on a public discussion board, they have no right to dicate by whom and and how they should be answered.

Sorry but I disagree with you, He is healthy

Which goes to show that you did not read my posts before reacting. I have TWICE stated that he may be healthy now, but he certainly will not be in 15-20 years time if he does not lose the 75lbs of weight that he admits is excess to requirements. THAT is my point.

HS

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Put the flag up - for once I agree with Hillary Step 100%

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    Put the flag up - for once I agree with Hillary Step 100%

I am re-thinking my position. Best regards - HS

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    What is ironic is you insisting on dispensing health advice to someone who flat out didn't want/ask for it.

Not to mention that he's most likely not a qualified health professional. A qualified, ethical, health professional would refrain from giving medical advice to an individual who's case he was unfamiliar with, particularly when such advice is unsolicited.

To state that someone can lose 100 lbs in a year by simply eating less is utterly stupid. I tried it - didn't work. If someone actually believes that the quantity of food intake is the only factor that determines a person's weight, then that person is extremely uninformed, and should refrain from offering advice on the subject.

Unless, of course, he enjoys making a public display of his ignorance.

W

• damselfly
    damselfly

Dear Hillary~

The irony is that what I have explianed to Richie is exactly the same information a caring doctor would give him and he would get charged for it!

This is not an example of irony either. I am done trying to speak with you, unless you come up with a medical or healthcare diploma.

Damselfly

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I am rethinking my position too- it does not sit well me agreeing with HS!!!!!!!!

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Finally-Free,

Your first post on this Board....or is it? You seem to know your way around.

To state that someone can lose 100 lbs in a year by simply eating less is utterly stupid. I tried it - didn't work.

lol...and that is the measuring line for your deep research? It worked for my neighbour who lost 112lbs in one year and now runs with me every so often, but even I in my ignorance knows it does not work for everybody. But it works for some, which is a puzzle in itself.

If someone actually believes that the quantity of food intake is the only factor that determines a person's weight, then that person is extremely uninformed, and should refrain from offering advice on the subject.

It is the quantity of food consumed, and the type of food consumed that is at the basis of the vast majority of problems with obesity. Or are you denying this? Do you perhaps know of a person who became obese by eating low-fat salads or vegetables, or a low fat diet? Or are you perhaps suggesting that overweight people emerged from Auschwitz?

Has it become an impossibility to utter the words, "I eat too much, and I eat too much of the wrong foods, that is why I am overweight, and, or obese"? Why do you think that governments are worried about the fact that two thirds of Americans are overweight or obese.

Why has there been such a huges increase in obesity worldwide? Is it an outbreak of glandular or hormonal problems?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3401715.stm

That having been said, I did suggest IF YOU HAD READ MY POST CAREFULLY that those who had issues that triggered off eating disorders should seek professional help, which is available.

As I have noted, this is an emotive issue, but not one that should be discussed through emotion as posts can easily become cherry-picked and reading comprehension flies out of the window.

Best regards - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

damsel,

You are incorrect, it *is* irony in the sentece that I wrote.

I am done trying to speak with you, unless you come up with a medical or healthcare diploma.

Heaven forbid that we need a medical or healthcare diploma to utter the obvious. Only in XJWland.

HS

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"To state that someone can lose 100 lbs in a year by simply eating less is utterly stupid."

I'm puzzled as to why I'm even sticking my nose into this one, but I really do agree with the statement above.

I know people who have lost 60 or 80 or (in the case of a former co-worker) 130 pounds in a year or less. The gal who went from 260 to 130 did it IN PART by changing her eating habits but more so by roller blading and bicycling and running. She got off her ass and made a positive change in her life. I gotta tell you, she was looking darn good after losing the extra pounds. And more importantly, she had accomplished a goal that she set for herself, and that sense of accomplishment and self-confidence carried over into other areas of her life.

• trevor
    trevor

Whenever these ‘weight threads’ come up we see a whole shed-load of comments justifying and defending being overweight. I have yet to see a single comment justifying being the correct weight for our size and frame.

Men are abused and cautioned for daring to express the thought that they find overweight women less attractive. Women hypocritically pretend that they like being overweight and should be admired for their appearance no matter how heavy they get. We have been warned that when we comment ‘often, it's really important how you word what you say.’ True but this won’t lose calories.

Next we will have a thread demanding that we all put on weight because any one who keeps in shape is somehow mentally challenged and doesn‘t enjoy life!. How about a little honesty? It reminds me of the Jehovah’s Witness mentality - if we all believe the same thing we can pretend it is the truth.

Censoring sensible comments and dictating what can and cannot be said may be less effort that changing our habits. The beginning of change starts with people admitting they have a problem and working hard to solve it. Being honesty usually means facing up to changing pleasurable habits and no one likes that sort of change.

Personally I don’t care what other people weigh. I keep in shape because it makes me feel good and lowers the risks associated with being overweight. Fortunately my wife feels the same and keeps in shape. Sorry I didn’t mean to say fortunately, I should have been dishonest and pretended I didn’t care about her weight, health or appearance. But if I only cared about mine what would that make me?

Winning an argument and staying overweight may feel good but so does a eating a big pizza. I guess it all comes down to whether people are totally happy being overweight and defend it for that reason, or whether they are in denial?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit