Why JW are overweight and unhealthy

by 5thGeneration 61 Replies latest jw friends

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

Hey, Richie, what you're describing is what my doctor calls "Fat but Fit." That means that the charts used to determine BMI (body mass index) call us fat--or even obese--but the reality is that all other measures of fitness are well within the normal range: blood pressure, cholesterol, breathing measurements (peak flow and blood gases), blood sugar, etc.

Frankly, some of us are genetically programmed to have more adipose tissue than others. It comes in really handy during famines, and it makes it easy to float when the boat sinks. *smile* A good chunk of mine is in the chest area, which my partner finds very attractive.

One of the problems with BMI and weight as a measurement of obesity is that it doesn't take into consideration the fact that muscle tissue is much more dense and heavy than fat. Using BMI numbers, many athletes register as "obese" because of their muscular development.

Frankly, the problem in the U.S. isn't fat--it's inactivity.

I'm not quite 5'1" and I weigh 155-160 pounds (fluctuates). I bike, swim, lift weights three times a week and walk almost everywhere (if it's within a two-mile radius, I'm not paying for the gas to get there). The charts say I'm obese; my doctor says I'm healthy.

Jankyn

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Something of a contradiction?

g89 5/22 p. 11 Four Ways to Win ***
    The December 15, 1988, Boardroom Reports extols the virtues of exercise: "Physical inactivity doubles the risk of heart attack, and researchers classify sedentary people in the same high-risk category for heart attacks as smokers and people with high blood pressure or high cholesterol levels." It adds that "carrying weights while jogging or walking greatly increases the health benefits of exercise." The recommendation is to start with half-pound weights, and exaggerate arm movements.

BTW I have used a gym for years and, as a dub, I would have been most dismissive if I had heard that comment , they never complained when I once started a study with someone I met at the gym

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Of course, if they have it their way, they'd have me up in some corner at 6 a.m., which is the time I mostly dedicate to exercise, displaying a Bible and their literature.

Those idiots!!! IT'S NEVER ENOUGH. NEVER EVER ENOUGH!!!

DY

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Hey Jankyn

My BMI is 27.7. That's considered obese. Just barely.

However, my Body fat % is 24. That's decent. Not great, but decent.

All I'm saying is, I can work all day without getting tired, I can keep up, and even outdo skinny people.

SO, that should mean I'm healthy. But not according to the "standards"

As far as diets go, I don't want to lose weight- so why should I worry? I can eat salad all week and not lose weight though... lol

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

I'm in shape. Round IS a shape, ya know.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Richie,

I am a big guy. I have been since birth. I was 12 lbs, 14.5 ozs. then. Now, I tip the scales at just over 300 lbs. However, I go to the gym for at leat 10 hours a week, and play sports with friends, and am VERY active. My immune system seems to be abnormally strong, and my blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol is all healthy.

That may all be true but you are a young man.

Carry that sort of weight around for another 15-20 years and you will have serious health issues. I guarantee if you eat less you will drop 100lbs in a year and greatly increase the chances of seeing your grandchildren grow up.

Nobody is condemning overweight people, they are just recognizing that with obesity comes health issues. At your age it is much easier to get in shape, and stay healthy. It gets very much harder as you grow older and your metabolism becomes more sluggish.

Be smart and lose it now.

Best regards - HS

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    That may all be true but you are a young man.

Carry that sort of weight around for another 15-20 years and you will have serious health issues. I guarantee if you eat less you will drop 100lbs in a year and greatly increase the chances of seeing your grandchildren grow up.

Nobody is condemning overweight people, they are just recognizing that with obesity comes health issues. At your age it is much easier to get in shape, and stay healthy. It gets very much harder as you grow older and your metabolism becomes more sluggish.

Be smart and lose it now.

Best regards - HS

CAN YOU NOT F_ING READ???

I JUST SAID I DON'T WANT TO BE PREACHED TO! WHAT PART OF THAT IS SO GOD DAMN HARD TO COMPREHEND???

SO WHAT IF I DIE 5 YEARS EARLY CAUSE I'M FAT?

YOU'RE A PAIN IN MY FAT, WHITE, BACON-EATING A$$, WHY DON'T YOU SHUT UP, SO MAYBE YOU'LL SEE YOUR GRANDKIDS????????

• Dustin
    Dustin

I remember when me and my wife joined a gym, and suddenly all the other JW couples joined the same one. Then the JW's complained about the angry rock music blasting over the speakers, and whined until it changed. They also complained about any hot girls skimpy outfit, and stupid crap like that. Soon it wasn't fun anymore.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

BTTT cause I want a response.

• damselfly
    damselfly

Richie ~ I agree with you! your weight is YOUR business.I know lots of "overweight" people that are wayyyyyy more healthy and fit then the skinny "norm". My boyfriend weighs more then he should but his blood pressure is good, he eats healthy home cooked meals(...I know what I'm doing) and does manual labour all day long. He is fit and in much better shape then the client's I see on a regular basis that think because they are a size 4 or a 32 inch waist that they don't have to look after themselves.

I don't have any respect for anyone that criticizes someones size, it is none of your business and that is how eating disorders happen. Ask me how I know that!!!!!!

Damselfly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit