Is it worth it?

by freedom96 17 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

My nearly 18 year old son lives out of state. Just recently, he agreed to look at the reasons why my wife and I don't go to the meetings anymore.

He is very active, so I was suprised to hear that he wants to know why. He is convinced that there is no way I will be able to prove that the WTS is not the true religion.

He asked me if I would go to a meeting with him later this summer when he visits. I told him my concience would not allow it.

However, I have been thinking....

We have been attending a non-denominational church lately. It is actually enjoyable to go to, and is quite large with kid programs, etc. No where inside are there crosses, or anything to make a witness feel "wierd." The service has a pastor who dresses in a nice shirt and slacks, and at the beginning is a live band with some really good music. Talks straight from the bible, and he makes a lot of sense.

There is nothing evil about the place at all. I know we were taught that churches are horrible, if not demonic. Well, obviously, that is not the case. If my son were to attend, I don't think he could find much of anything to complain about. Other than the fact that everyone looked happy to be there, and were dressed casual.

So......... what if I promised to go to a meeting (gag, cough, cough) if he were to agree to go to my "church?" I would make him go first of course. At this point he seems open minded, at least to have intelligent conversation about it. But I don't see him going with me, even if I offer. I just don't see it, though perhaps the offer should be made. But then again, then he will know that we are going to a "church," not sure how that will affect him. So, is it worth asking him to go? Even if I have to edure a meeting?

Though he is young, he is well read in the bible, and aux pioneers at least half of the year. This will not be easy.

Also, if anyone has any ideas of what to talk about first in regards to proving the WTS is wrong, dead wrong. He will be visiting for nearly a month, so I imagine there will be several conversations about it. I was leaning towards talking to him about the hurt that the WTS has caused, and their flip flop teachings, from way back when to current. Probably should stay off of doctrine for the time being.

Any suggestions?

• Honesty
    Honesty

Get him to read Romans and Galatians without the FDS spin literature to go along with it with you when he visits.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

If he's a "Faithful" witness, he won't go. Would be interesting to hear him give his reasons though.

J

• Odrade
    Odrade

Just my opinion, but if he is asking for your reasons, no matter that he is cocky and thinks he can counter anything you bring up, he is still asking. That's the important thing. If you invite him to your church, or talk about your church at this point, his little window of curiosity might just slam shut again before you can make any points that might stick with him. Probably not worth it... yet.

• skyman
    skyman

If he is a witness there is no way he would go. I will send you a copy of my blood letter change it as you like but tell him you wrote it and ask him to explain the Witness stand on blood after he has read it. I have had Five Elders and one C.O. read this letter, one quit, one cried, and all of them said the Society was wrong but told me to wait on Jehovah. IT IS A VERY POWERFUL LETTER.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I doubt he will go...as all Dubs are told that it is ok for others to come to the KH to see a meeting, but they do not need nor should go to another's church...after all they have "the truth" !!!!

Also...you may want to "agree to ground rules" before he visits on discussing what makes you NOT believe. Maybe make him promise you that HE WILL RESEARCH your complaints. AND MUST answer them and CONSIDER them, not just blindly spout WTBS. In exchange even though you have a liteny of issues with the WTBS you will limit it to the top 3 reasons. That's not asking too much is it? 3 major problems with the faith. Stick to what cannot be refuted. Make him get copies of old Golden Age magazines from 1919. Or how immunizations were "the pus of Satan". Go to the library and pull 15 encyclopedias, concordences, history books, etc down and show him that Jerusalem fell in 586/587 NOT 607.

Good luck!

• carla
    carla

I have made "deals" like this with husband. My advice would be to make sure your deals are done first! Sorry but I have found jw's quite unreliable. Also, it may pay off to let a few members of your church in on what is going on. Love bomb him and make him very, very welcome and safe. Good luck, carla

• homesteader
    homesteader

I have a 19 year old son who is not a jw, but I think I would tell him that I would rather not discuss religion with him as it would be a divisive influence on the relationship that you are trying to build with him. With all of my four adult children I steer very clear of anything controversial and I want to maintain a close relationship with them and build trust that has been broken. I would value the relationship more than a discussion on religion. Find fun wholesome things to do with him...movies, recreation etc. Actions speak louder than words. When he sees that all ex jw's didn't go to the dogs that will leave quite an impression on him. just my thoughts. Enjoy your son.

• mad max
    mad max

Yes, one comment said Love Bomb Him.

The scary part is if you take him tho church they might start talking about Jesus toooo much and that will put him off, as from my own experience when I first started going to chruch in Jan of this year, but I continued as I got the born again experience and eyes were open. BUT LET US REMEMBER....DO NOT PUT GOD IN A BOX, this just might be your sons turning point.

What I found is and read many a book about how to answer JW ....the most important thing is to undermine the "faithful and discreet slave" ..go on the net, get your info, then get the mags that show the liars that was told.

Also try and get, on the net, Russell's grave site with the pyramid and cross..even though he might say light gets brighter and .........that image will stay in his mind.

I also try and not put God in a box so I must say this let Gods Sprit guide you first, if you feel the need to say come to our "gathering" etc then do, if the Sprit does not lead you in that direction then don't do it, just follow the Spirit.

All the best, my heart goes out to you.

• caligirl
    caligirl

I'll reply on the basis that this thread is about my step son.

Max, I felt strange at first too about church, but the same thing happened with me- the more I listened and learned, the more I felt that spirit coming alive in me. Never felt any of that kind of peace or joy after a meeting!

We are preparing heavily for this discussion with him. I haven't studied so much in years. It causes some emotional strain for us to go back and study all of this stuff that we have tried so hard to forget and move on from. Now we have to stir it all up again. We've both been losing sleep over the pending discussions.

Because of info on this site, we were able to tell him before he went to the assembly that he should listen very carefully for how much they were going to emphasize obedience to the organization. We are hoping that gave him food for thought.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit