Social Skills..... or lack thereof

by damselfly 43 Replies latest jw friends

• damselfly
    damselfly

I have come to the realization that I have very poor to non-existent social skills. I have become so scared of rejection ( i wonder why?) that i only let people get so close and only reveal select personal information after literally years of knowing someone.Sometimes when I'm out in public and see someone I know, if they haven't seen me yet I will try and avoid them. WTF! why do I do that?! So I'm hoping that because I know this about myself now and aren't in denial about any longer that it will get better. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Any tips to help me on the way? I would like to be able to move my "aquintances" over to the friend category.

So then I was thinking why stop at social skills? What other skills would I like to have? To quote Napoleon Dynamite: "You know, like nunchuck skills, bowhunting skills, computer hacking skills... Girls only want boyfriends who have great skills."

This is what I came up with. 1.I would like to be able to dance without looking like a spaz. 2.Musical ability of any kind would be appreciated. 3. I would like to be the greatest knitter of all time ( I know I'm a dork )

What skills do you wish you had?

Damselfly

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Me too. It is because I became a Jehovah's Witnesses when I was 13 years old. It ruined my life.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    3. I would like to be the greatest knitter of all time ( I know I'm a dork )

Youre not a dork, did you know that recently knitting has become cool?

• damselfly
    damselfly

Youre not a dork, did you know that recently knitting has become cool?

WooHoo I am currently @ "scarf" level but hope to advance to "hat" pretty soon.

Damselfly

• Dustin
    Dustin

I wish I had these 2 skills 1.) the ability to use powertools without hurting myself 2.) having celebrity goodlooks to wow everyone into liking me

Social skills aren't usually a problem for me, but I can understand how the JW lifestyle can destroy them. It robs you of all self confidence and you just never know what to say, at least that's what one of my ex-JW friends always says. Don't worry it will get better over time. The whole key is developing a little self belief, and loosening up a bit.

• daystar
    daystar

I was raised as a JW, so I know just where you're coming from. I've gotten much better, but I still feel rather isolated.

Skillz I wish I had:

• All the skillz I would have if I'd gotten a college degree, namely physics skillz, psychology skillz.
    • Sports skillz.
    • Mad ninja skillz.
    • Rock 'n roll guitar riff skillz.
    • Holiday/Birthday skillz. (Still find it hard to get in the spirit. I've found it is very hard for people that weren't in the org to understand this.)
    • Mad Critical Thinking skillz. (Much better than before, but still...)
  • Dustin
    Dustin

I envy your mad knitting skillz. If you give me two sharp sticks and a piece of yarn, I'm bound to really hurt myself badly.

• blondie
    blondie

I was sexually molested by my father but I did not let it ruin my life. My mother allowed the abuse and is an alcoholic. So I certainly didn't learn love and consideration from them. I am neither a molester nor an alcoholic. I have learned to live my life in a way that is healthy for me and those I love. I learned from my teachers, my neighbors, and my non-JW relatives. Now that I have gone to that extreme.............

Good manners, treating others like you would like to be treated, can be learned.

You need social skills; watch people at work or your neighbors who get along well with people, watch what they do and imitate them. If you need training, look for it. I was watching a show last night and it showed adults learning how to act when they go out to eat. They have training where I work on how to get along wit people

So help is out there folks. You are not locked into a behavior.

Love Blondie (there is hope and a future, but you must reach out for it)

Sermon over

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

This was one of the first topics I replied to on "Social retardation" thread... only a few short months ago.
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/87486/1.ashx

But while I got out lucky with the social retardation dealio....being a "hated" Dub always made me blaze my own path and not care what others thought....so that's good I guess. But I wish I could have mad surfing skills. Right now I look like a wounded, white, seal out in the water. LOL

• seven006
    seven006

Damselfly,………………………………..

First off all I apologize for the dots, This forum isn’t compatible with paragraph breaks when typing on a Mac……(I hope the dots at least show up)…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………You have experienced a primary cult technique used to brainwash it’s members into thinking you are only normal and accepted within it’s ranks. You were trained to think the rest of society would reject you because of your beliefs and that twisted logic is a major factor in what gave you the fear of rejection. It is also one of the toughest hard-wired programming effects to get over. Realizing and then accepting you have that programmed personality glitch is half the battle…………………………………………………………………......When I left the cult 22 years ago and realized I didn’t fit into the rest of the world, I felt I had two options. Remain in no mans land of no longer being in the controlled comfort zone of a cult and not fitting into regular society, or trying to fit into a world I was brought up to be no part of. The decision was easy to make but very hard to initiate……………………………………………………………………Since there was no internet at the time and I did not know any ex-JWs, I was completely on my own to try and change my life and my life long hard-wired psychological programming. One of the first things I did was join a health club. Within a short period of time I met a group of new friends that invited me to many social functions that helped me learn to socialize in a somewhat normal manner. I also went to a high school reunion and let a few old classmates know I was no longer in the cult and I was ready to have them teach me how to be normal………………………………………………………..Once you let a few people know you need a little help you will be surprised how many “worldly” people will understand, care, and unselfishly help you out. The key here is to experience new things but find the balance of who you are and who others want you to be. Keeping a balance in focus will help you avoid doing new things that are stupid and dangerous. Unfortunately it took me a while to figure that one out. I went to the far side of the balancing scale before settling somewhere in the middle……………………………………………………………………………………….Realizing you are going to make mistakes and then learning form them is just a part of learning who you really are without the control factor of a cult. Just recognizing it is going to take a while will also help. Within time, your fear of rejection will subside to a lower level that you are presently aware of. Being forced to go to strangers doors and sell them cult magazines, having them reject them, and you, helped give you that fear of rejection. It was an unnatural experience and it developed an unnatural psychological fear of rejection within you……………………………………………………………………………………………………Accept the fact you are different, and keeping it in mind will help you work around it. Because of how you were brought up you will always be a little different. There is nothing wrong with that. Everyone is a little broken whether they were raised in a cult or not. Also, reading as much as you can about human psychology will help you realize what happened to you then help you assimilate into a new life giving you a better understanding of people on many levels of social retardation………………………………………………………….Good luck,………………………….Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit