Bone Pain Update

by outnfree 12 Replies latest jw friends

• outnfree
    outnfree

To those who were good enough to respond via PM and post to this Friday morning update of mine on the Vigil thread:

In fact, last night was a rough one for me, beginning about 2 AM EST. On Wednesday, I went to get my complete blood count (CBC) and I had bottomed out in white blood cells, so home to virtual quarantine after a shot of white blood cell production stimulator neupogen. One of the side effects can be bone pain, and I felt some pressure in my sternum and vertebrae, but not too terrible. However, yesterday, I went for another shot, and by the middle of the night, I had SEVERE pain in my lower back and hips that was sending shooting pains into my buttocks and thighs. It was like the pain I had before my back surgery years ago. I took a muscle relaxer, because my back muscles were definitely in spasm, but it wasn't very effective at all. (I wondered if it would be, as the pain was really from INSIDE the bone.) In addition, I had muscle tics in my left thigh and later in my left trunk. I was like a baby, asking Lena to stay with me because it was so frightening!

please know how grateful I am for your concern.

What happened Friday was that my white blood cell count was even WORSE than Wednesday's. The doctor on call actually wanted to give me TWO doses of neupogen, but the nurse (Bless you, Trish!) explained that I had had SEVERE reactions to the shot already and convinced him that one shot at a time was a better idea and also that I needed some Vicodin for the pain.

So, feeling like I was volunteering for self-torture, I took one more shot and headed to the pharmacy and began taking one Vicodin every FOUR hours. I am usually knocked out by 1/2 tablet every 6-8 hours, but my fear of a repeat of the previous night's pain led me to comply strictly with the Rx and just live in a buzzy fog for the next 20 hours or so. Hey! It worked.

I am still achy today, but it's waaaaaaaay more tolerable. Also, Saturday's blood count showed improvement, finally. Not so much that I could attend last night's JW MeetUp in my area , but enough that I didn't have to have yet ANOTHER Neupogen shot. Now, THAT's progress!

Now I can stay away from the treatment center until July 21 -- date of my next chemo. YAY!!!!! And, I am not feeling nauseated anymore, either. YAY, again!!!!!

I will, however, continue to "watch my line"! The weight loss part of this is GOOD in my case.

Hugs and thanks,

outnfree

• luna2
    luna2

So glad you are feeling better! Really glad also that there was a smart nurse on duty to...uh...advise the doc on those shots.!

• Frog
    Frog

Hey there outnfree, wow I truly can't imagine the physical and emotional strain you must be going through at the moment. You sound so strong though, and really resilliant. It is good to know that you have caring people to support you through this, and you will get through this, absolutely !

Now I can stay away from the treatment center until July 21 -- date of my next chemo. YAY!!!!!

I tell you what, your words help me to put my priorities it good order. I am grateful for good health, and we should really value it while we have it, because none of us know when or if this could change. This is a test of endurance for you, but you will pull through it because you've got a wonderful resilliant spirit:) xx

Take care, and update us on your progress. Love from frog x

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Outnfree

I really feel for you. I had a tumor removed that was thankfully benign, but I well know the fear.

Try to see and do as much as your energies permit. Enjoy every minute.

Enjoy knowing how much you are loved even by people you have never met. I love you xx.

HB

• outnfree
    outnfree

luna,

LOL at the nurse advising the doctor! "Oh, no, Dr. A------! She's had EXCRUCIATING side effects, we can't do that to her!" <<--what she said.

frog,

Resiliant. I really like that word. It made me feel good to read it, because I think it IS descriptive of me yet I had never used it to describe myself. Thank you!

(((HB)))

It IS scary, isn't it? Glad your tumor was benign. It is really a special thing to have the outpouring of love and concern by strangers here. Thanks for your love, HB.

I am feeling almost normal. I am achy in my bones, but I can manage. Energy levels are returning to normal. I went to class last night at university. I went for a 15 minute walk today with daughter and dog. I'm doing laundry (and liking it -- lol) and even packed a box to put in storage. Life goes on, doesn't it, despite trials and tribulation?

Brenda

• kls
    kls

Outnfree,sorry you even have to go through all this and thanks for the update

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Brenda

Get yourself a really good juicer (a Champion, if possible) and try to take at least six per day (12 is even better, but hard work with everything else there is to do ). Carrot is the most popular, but you can also add beetroot and celery. There is STRONG evidence to suggest that taking regular vegetable juices helps combat the effects of the chemotherapy.

Thinking of you.

Love,

Ian

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

HUGS to you and glad you are having a better day. Hope your health continues to get better!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

(((( Brenda! ))))

I'm sorry things have gotten "worse". What I hate with the cancer thing is that the cure seems so much worse than the disease. Dang, I'm so sorry you've having to go through this.

I agree with Dansk beet juice treatement. Beets work on the liver and encourange blood cleansing. Carot and Celery support the beet juice.

Clover tea 4x per day will help the blood cleansing process. Ginger is a natural inflamation reducer and tastes good in a tea with honey.

All my love, sis

BrendaC

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

{{{{Brenda}}}}

Oh Sweetie! I am so happy to hear that you were able to be up and about and were more in control of the pain this time. My love and prayers are yours,

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit