Lend me your Apostapowers, trying to help someone out of the org

by wanderlustguy 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dorayakii
    dorayakii
    True is not the correct word here. All statements cannot possibly be true seeing how we are imperfect humans who can't see past our own noses.(jer 10:23) Honest would be a more accurate term.

Then the troof shouldn't be called "the truth"... it should be called "the honesty"...

" How long have you been in the honesty?... Were you born in the honesty?"......

...... sorry

• daystar
    daystar
    Then the troof shouldn't be called "the truth"... it should be called "the honesty"...

the "what we think to be true now, but may not be so at a later time".

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

If you're going to further discuss the faithful&discreet slave, have him look closely at the scripture (Matt 24:45-51).

Where does the Bible even insinuate that these few verses are anything more than one simple parable, surrounded by many other parables?

Where does it imply that the slave in this parable represents a group of men in the 20th century?

If the vast majority of Christ's true followers (great crowd) would have to be under the submission and education of this small handful of men at the most crucial time in history, wouldn't Jehovah have given us more than one simple parable in a few verses to tell us this? I would think if the everlasting life of millions of people depended on submitting to the f&ds, it would be spelled out pretty clearly for us.

Also notice that the parable doesn't say there was a faithful slave. It mentions one slave, and gives an example of what would happen if the slave acted wisely, and what would happen if the slave acted foolishly.

In light of the many times Jesus tells us to come to him for life, where is the scriptural basis for adding another layer of management and insisting that no one can come to Jehovah except through them?

Good luck with your brother! I doubt anything you can throw at him will make him leave the org, but if you can make him think, it may be the first step.

Keep us posted . . .

• pennycandy
    pennycandy
    Honest would be a more accurate term. Example the greatest man book,chapter 111 is mostly wrong.(see wt 95 Oct.15) But it was honest. The best answer there was at the time if you will. And there are other examples.

Honest is good. And honest may occasionally also be true. But if an "honest" organization doesn't always mean "true", then they have no right to demand absolute obedience.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

error

• rebel8
    rebel8

This is totally off topic, but I'm laughing a bit at the title. "Apostapowers"--LOL! You've got me imaging a super hero doll with big muscles and a cape, whose superpower is a laser beam directing logic and independent thought into the zombie borgs.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    But he has the largest WT library I've ever seen dating back to the 20's...

There is where his faith in the WT is going to be thrown out the window. Research what the cult had to say about WWL (not what they claimed to have said). Research WWII and also the UN in 1942 (FDR mentioned the UN months before the WT).

• jula71
    jula71

I think he almost has enough to go on the the FDS topic. Your bro already said jesus picked the WTS to be the FDS. We just had a lovely talk at the DC about the the remnant on Earth make up the FDS. And the remnant use the GB to "feed the people." It's been my experience the remnant are nothing more then a curiosity and that's only when the memorial rolls around. I would explore and do research on the FDS versus who is really in charge. Bringin' up topics like the NGO connection or 607 may close the door on you......have to be careful with them. Most are like a deer in headlights then run like hell when challenged.

• tdogg
    tdogg
    The best answer there was at the time if you will. And there are other examples.

Its going to be hard to get over this type of thinking. But dont give up and take it very easy, make sure he understands you are wanting to learn from him.

I think if you could get into a discussion about what makes these particular individuals the FDS you could make headway. Hopefully he will make the claim about their "predictions". You could ask to see these writings (dated before 1914 of course) that have the predictions in them. I know that for me, seeing what was in the old WT's sealed my decisioin that leaving the org. was the right thing.

May the Force be with you.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

something that would have knocked me off my rocker, is if someone simply would have said to me:

"tetrapod, i have two words for you: cognitive dissonace. if you don't know what it means, go look it up. goodbye."

that would have started me asking "why?", and then "how?". actually, that is what happened, except i said it to myself. so you could just say it to your bro.

TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit