Recycling: Not for True Christains

by jeanniebeanz 42 Replies latest jw friends

• skyman
    skyman

To all the people that get nasty here. Do your reaseach and post all the nasty threads you want it a free world but you show the world your true side tetrapod.sapien but the fact is this if you want to waste the earth keep recycling products that take more from the earth than it is saving. Esactly as I said facts mean nothing to a person ruled by passion. I posted more links than just the Penn and Teller link as if putting someone down makes the facts they present worthless.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    but the fact is this if you want to waste the earth keep recycling products that take more from the earth than it is saving.

i already showed that this is basically not true. producing recycled paper uses 60% of the energy required to produce the same amount of virgin paper. that's right. energy. that would translate in most places as fossil fuels.

and i did read your radley balko article. i also read the reply to it. frankly, it makes way more sense to me:

http://www.environmentaldefense.org/documents/611_ACF17F.htm

so, i guess i am nasty then.

good night america,

TS

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

People definitely get worked up over this, and perhaps for good reason.

I spent 15 years helping to run a timberfalling business, and yet am a greenie. Talk about conflicting emotions... I see both sides of the issue where it comes to trees. We have not managed our forrests very well in the last century. We have many which need to be thinned for their own good and to control diseases, and we have chopped other forrests to the ground.

It's a touchy subject.

It's expensive to recycle paper now, that is not surprising. But in the interests of our dwindling timber resources, I think we should find ways to make it more cost efficient, not stop recycling. And I don't buy that there is more timber available worldwide now than 70 years ago. The rainforests continue to evaporate before our very eyes, and logging in Russia is going at full steam too.

Jean

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    so, i guess i am nasty then.

Don't confuse nastiness with passion, dude.

J

• Scully
    Scully

t.s:

no thanks from me for PM'ing your post to me, in addition to posting it here. you can do me a favour and not do that in the future.

ditto.

don't get me started on the evils of bandwidth wastage!!

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

i also remember a talk (not too long ago.. maybe a year or so) and the elder told us from the platform that it's stupid to support organizations who protect the environment/human rights/animal rights/whatever as those organizations can't solve issues forever. jesus was known as a teacher, not a healer, you know. so you're better off supporting the WTS, not amnesty international.

about the trees and paper... i always got SO angry, when they were talking about how many tons of paper they were using every month to print literature. there even was an article one day about "trees being used for spiritual food" or so. this made me SO angry!!! you know, i asked why they don't use recycled paper. the answer i got was, because this paper is better quality... omg.

i guess that was when i stopped reading the mags and didn't feel bad about it anymore.

• bother_forever
    bother_forever

Do they used re-cycled paper for the billions of crap books they produce?

• bother_forever
    bother_forever

...sorry, googlemagoogle had just answered that. (idiot i am)

• jimakazi
    jimakazi

hi tetropod

Many trees are grown like a crop for the purpose of making paper - cut them and plant new ones. The paper mills are usually co-located with the forests to reduce the transport costs. The oveheads of recycling papaer is high, and the end products usually of a low quality. Paper is made from a re-newable resource, and glass is made from a resoruce I doubt we will ever run out of - once again it's easier and cheaper to start with new material.

There are however things that are made from products that are not renewable - these should be recycled or used with care.

Oil prices going as high as will help reduce consumption of a non renewable resource - maybe it will get people out of their 5.7 litre V8 trucks, to the point that the car manufactures will build vehicals that are less wasteful. We need oil to make many other things, burning it is such a waste.

If we as a society were so concerned about waste paper we would ban or severely limit junk mail - we don't so I assume most people really don't give a toss.

• skyman
    skyman

Believe it or not I recycle products TONS of product yearly. But I recycle metal that actually helps the earth when I recycle. There is a balance and that is hard to find when we don't live in the natural setting. I hate seeing land logged but I know land that is logged has life in it. Were I am from we millions of acres of Old growth timber and if you want to see land with no life that is where you go the soil produces no grass the sun does not reach the ground and the trees are waisted for some one from the big city's to feel like they done something good. Healthy timber is timber that is growing and in a growing timber land there is magic one of life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit