Recycling: Not for True Christains

by jeanniebeanz 42 Replies latest jw friends

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    But I recycle metal that actually helps the earth when I recycle.

well, that's cool skyman. i mean, each to his own, right?

Many trees are grown like a crop for the purpose of making paper - cut them and plant new ones. The paper mills are usually co-located with the forests to reduce the transport costs.

and from what i understand, jimakazi, younger trees work better. someone posted that here a while back. if companys all used young crop forests to do their virgin paper thing, then i wouldn't be in such a huff. it makes good paper, doesn't cut into naturally occuring forests/ecologies, and saves them money. unfortunately, it does not always work like that, and privatized land all over the world, not just in the states, is sold for quick cash (see: brazil). and that's where i get red. short sightedness.

maybe it will get people out of their 5.7 litre V8 trucks,

amen.

getting back to the topic at hand,

google,

i always got SO angry, when they were talking about how many tons of paper they were using every month to print literature. there even was an article one day about "trees being used for spiritual food" or so. this made me SO angry!!! you know, i asked why they don't use recycled paper. the answer i got was, because this paper is better quality... omg.

me too. it's a poor excuse. and i always wondered why the org just could not offer their magazines in .pdf format from their web site for us western countries. i bet a lot of wits would download the crap, and bring their laptop to the meeting instead. or even better yet, they could offer encrypted files from their website, that loaded right into a certain interface in the watchtower library so people would always have the latest magazines on their computer. then everyone who had laptops could bring them to the meetings and use them to go over the latest material, and look up scriptures etc. i personally think it would cut down on a lot of wastage, especially in magazines that never got placed and ultimately dumped. they could take a small piece of paper to the door with the url of the pdf magazine, and the householder could go there themselves if they wanted. obviously, the mags would have to be still produced enmasse for 3rd world countries.

of course the soceity would never do this. and i can understand why, now that i am out. but while i was a wit, i just could not comprehend how they could let this new medium slip by.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I liked the point made by Scally so many trees get wasted to produce worthless books and mags most of which get thrown away without being read.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    I liked the point made by Scally so many trees get wasted to produce worthless books and mags most of which get thrown away without being read.

True... It's been a long time since I've bought a new book. I get most of mine at the local thrift store... If it's news, I read it online instead of buying a newspaper. A side benefit is that when I buy books at the second hand shop, I usually pay about fifty-cents to $2.00 for them. Turning them over and looking at the retail value, I have seen as high as $157.00 marked on the back! This is especially true of the geology, math and natural science text books that I pick up. Many times, these books are under a year old... Such a deal. J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit