• skyman
    skyman

Here is another good article

Recycling: a Waste of Good Waste

by Radley Balko

Shortcut to: http://www.abetterearth.org/subcategory.php/217.html

• skyman
    skyman

I live in the part of the world that hates e nvironmentalist. Personally I think Environmentalist are on the same level as hardline JW's. The more you prove they are wrong the louder they get. Right now in my area of the world is a town that has dead timber that surrounds it. The trees need cut before the next big fire or alot of peoples homes will burn. So why not cut the dead trees? Good question because people from the big cities can't pull the head out and see that people that live here want a livable forest that has Deer and Elk and other animals in it. A old dying forest are void of animals that is the fact. So the people that never will see the forest nor really care send money to Green Peace and other ORGANIZATIONS like that and they put a law suit on harvesting the trees and pay college students to tie themselves onto the trees. They do more damage ot the Forest than all the logger combined.So use some toliet paper we have more TREES NOW THAN WE DID 70 YEARS AGO.

"trees are the answer." Trees, unlike fossil fuels and metals, are renewable resources. Contrary to what you might believe, we have more trees today than 70 years ago. A lot of unfortunate myths surround activities like logging and clear cutting.

www.greenspirit.com

• talesin
    talesin
    I live in the part of the world that; hates e nvironmentalist.

No $h*t, Sherlock, I couldn't tell. lmao !

Don't have a cow, man. We're allowed to have our opinions here.

le chaim!

• skyman
    skyman

I didn't start it. Does that not sound like a little kid.

Mom I did not start it she did. I know I have mine and that is why I love this forum.

• talesin
    talesin

Right on, dude!

You got me laughing now ... no, you started it! neener, neener, neeeeener ... hahaha

t

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Don't make me come back there! *wags finger at naughty children* lol

In all seriousness though, I cannot quit recycling in spite of the volume of serious scholarly work presented by the honorable Penn and Teller . I believe that in the end we will all have to figure out ways to make recycling work better than it does.

As the population of the planet continues to grow, we will have to recycle and if time goes on even that won't conserve enough of our resources to make enough difference. Our resources are not unlimited given the human races dynamic birth vs. survival rates.

Where I live, recycling is mandatory in apartment complexes, and if management catches tenants throwing recyclable items into the garbage they face eviction. No I'm not kidding. It's taken that seriously and we are having issues here with landfill space as well.

Jean

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

skyman,

no thanks from me for PM'ing your post to me, in addition to posting it here. you can do me a favour and not do that in the future.

it's exactly your type of attitude that has got us into this bloody environmental mess in the first place. here we are in a huge car headed for a brick wall at a hundred kilometers an hour, and all you people can bicker about is how much it costs to run the car.

and honestly. is penn & teller the best you can do?! give me a break. i like them as much as anyone, but if they say that recycling is crap, then they are missing the bloody point.

it's not about how much it costs. it's not about how efficient it is. it's not about how convenient it is. it's not about how little of an impact current recycling programs have. it's about oxygen damn it. it's about trees. it's about nature. it's about us moving from a type 0 civilization that relies on natural resources to a type 1 without going extinct. it's about us damaging our ecosystem only because we're a bunch of ignorant, arrogant, self centered, lazy bastards in testosterone overdrive. it's about changing the way we think.

if you are really concerned about pollution caused by making paper, and the amount of money it costs, you should really take a look at virgin paper production before spouting off about recycled paper.

americans are the largest consumers (of course) of paper in the world. each american consumes about 730 pounds of paper each year. that equals about 80 millions tonnes anually. more than two thirds of that is from virgin fibre. and in the US, 99% of that comes from your forests(source: Heather Rosmarin, Amazon Watch). for each tonne of newspaper recycled, it preserves 19 trees (source: Recycling Council of Ontario), and to make 1 tonne of recycled paper requires 60% of the energy required to produce 1 tonne of virgin paper (source: the recyclers handbook). not to mention all the chlorine that virgin paper requires because consumers don't like brown paper (source: David Suzuki Foundation).

do you honestly think that trees are here for our taking? that we have the right to make paper from them just because we can? if we're already in the mess, it would help if you would offer a constructive way out of it rather than criticizing current solutions whilst killing more trees.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    I live in the part of the world that hates e nvironmentalist.

is this to say you only have one environmentalist in your neck of the "woods" because you lynched the rest?

Personally I think Environmentalist are on the same level as hardline JW's.

well that's logical. i think stupid clear cutting capalists are on the same level as homo erectus. and guess what they both have in common apart from intellect? in a few years, there won't be any more around!

The more you prove they are wrong the louder they get.

probably because you use penn and teller as your source. dude, i don't even use them as a source when debating the supernatural with you.

Good question because people from the big cities can't pull the head out and see that people that live here want a livable forest that has Deer and Elk and other animals in it.

oh i see. so this is about city mouse vs. country mouse? i guess it wouldn't do much to tell you that the ecologist at the city university knows whats best for you better than you probably know yourself?

They do more damage ot the Forest than all the logger combined.

really? wow, remarkable. and your source? LOL (so, you only have one logger too?)

So use some toliet paper we have more TREES NOW THAN WE DID 70 YEARS AGO.

and that's reason to keep cutting trees down? that's bloody ignorant. i'm glad we have more now than we did 70 years ago. lets keep it on the up and up, shall we?

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

We should Respect god's planet are the jw's calling god the bin collection man?

Our jobs as humans is to look after the planet not to destroy it!

Have the jw's ever considered what their dirty rubbish would leave for future generations? our great grandchildren might die at the age of 12 because of the pollution in the air!

Plant a tree, pick ap a few scraps of rubbish make a difference!

Evanescence

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

They probably just didn't want you encouraging the recycling of aluminum, which might have been melted down to make cookware ... which, as we all know from Borg publications of 70 or 80 years ago, leads to disease and death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit