What have you gained?

by bagpuss 34 Replies latest jw friends

• bagpuss
    bagpuss

Its two years since I last attended a meeting or thought of myself as a JW. Despite the prophesys of doom and gloom for those who leave the org I have gained lots and lost nothing.

I have much more time to spend with my husband which has led to our relationship improving fantastically.

I have a better relationship with my children who stopped going to meetings when they were teenagers.

I have become much closer to my family (I've just returned from yorkshire from my great nephews 1st birthday party. It was amazing.)

My confidence has grown dramatically as I no longer view myself as worthless.

The guilt of not doing enough has gone.

I now have real friends.

The list goes on, but I really would like to hear what you've gained or hope to gain by leaving the borg.

• homesteader
    homesteader

Freedom!!!!!!!! Freedom to think, freedom to act, freedom to be.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

Well said Bagpuss, I feel the same way.

I feel free, literally no painful chains of guilt around my legs and neck to struggle with each and everyday. My sleep was even fitful as a JW, I was so sick physically and mentally.

I enjoy even the little things so much more. Growing up JW, we learned how to put everything off, until the New World. I will go hiking , go swimming with the dolphins, have kids, etc. etc. when the New World is here. It was like walking thru a rose garden and never, even smelling the roses at all.

Now I do stop and smell the roses, quite literally. I watch in fasination as my children grown before my eyes, I soak up the kisses from my puppy, I smell the morning and the dew on the grass even deeper than before , because I have learned that I don't know if there will be a life after this one. So I am going to take each day and just soak everything up from it that I can,,,,,,,,,,no regrets, just live life.

• Odrade
    Odrade

'bout 20 lbs.
    Sorry. hehe. I've gained the opportunity to do what I want to do for work, fun and charity. I've gained comfort with who I am, and I've gained the feeling that it is my right to choose my friends. Lots of things, but those are a couple that come to mind right now.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

I know I've gained a life, friends (especially here), freedom that cannot be explained! There's a whole new world out here that's ours for the taking!

• skyman
    skyman

I gained my wife and kids. I was allways busy doing congregational activity's. I now have the time to be a real husband and I love being with my family.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

LOST GAINED

Peter pan collars low cut blouses
    long modest skirts belts that double as skirts
    guilt masturbation
    kingdom melodies led zeppelin
    book bag - watchtower sized handbag to dance round in clubs
    blood card gala bingo card
    flattie walking shoes f*ck me shoes

• greendawn
    greendawn

Got rid of an odious burden and after leaving that high pressure judgemental and artificial environment could have a normal life with normal people.

• Panda
    Panda

Freedom of good relationships. Freedom to live over seas. Freedom to get an education. No more guilt. I think guilt was the real hold over me --- never being good enough. Oh yeah and me and MrPanda are real cozy on Sunday mornings (until he kicks me out of bed to go mow the grass)

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

A lot more time, a little less stress, education, and more money (without working either; but I'll get a job in time).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit