Other Types of Abuse...

by RichieRich 34 Replies latest jw friends

• stopthepain
    stopthepain

I think everyone knows sexual abuse is horrible.But a truely different type of abuse is mental and emotional.I feel I was a victim of this BIGTIME.This type of abuse is more subtle,espescially to a kid.We all need to break the cycle of abuse,physical or mental.

Did anyone elses parents spank them in rythem.Example--I ---- told ----- you ---- to ----pay ------ attention ----- to -----the speaker!Hitting you with every syllable.My god fearing loving parents did,of course with the praise and encouragement of the elders.Oh the we had as a family.

But ,I could have been born in somalia,so I should hyave just sucked it up.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

In our congregation it was like a race to see whose child got taken outside for a spanking. I always felt bad for the toddlers who were acting like kids their age should be. My little brother was the one who usually got the stick. The rest of us would get the belt. When my mom felt like taking anger out, she'd get the flyswatter out and chase us around. Finally, after I turned 16 and I was taller than her she was chasing me around the kitchen table. I snapped. I suddenly stopped and turned around, snatching it out of her hand. Of course I wanted to hit her back. But I told her IF she ever hit me or my sisters again, she'd regret it!!

Of course, than resulted in another JC meeting for disobedience. But I never saw the flyswatter again.

shelley

• jula71
    jula71

This has been a thorn in my side for a loooong time. But first to answer Richie's question, yes. My old hall had a boiler room in the basement. Parents loved this room, no lie, because the sound of the furnace would drown out any crying going on in there, which I've done my fair share of. Mom loved the wooden spoon, don't leave home without it. But this goes into my next point, how should children act? What is normal? I've seen babies, 24 months and under being hauled off for "not behaving." They like to call it training. But it simply is not normal to expect a child or even a baby to sit in a chair, still for 2 hours. And a convention or assembly forget!! Let the kids be kids!!!

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

You guys totally confirmed my suspiscions. My mother was, in the early days, one of those with the wooden spoon in one hand and me in the other. More recently, shes become like Sith's friend... Just doing it to work out her anger and not phasing me.

I always had to pull my pants and underwear down, so she could hit me directly on the butt. Her tool of choice is a stiff leather belt.

Early on, she used to use wooden spoons, but she would often break them on me.

During the meetings, for not paying attention, she would pinch me... right inside my leg...

• Netty
    Netty

Witness or not, there are other effective ways to discipline children. We take my sons privldeges away, like his video games, etc. My children have never been disciplined with a belt, and they never will be. Cuz, yea we got it with the belt, although I was the goody two shoes in the family, and didnt get it as frequently as the others, but we all got it.

• Voyager
    Voyager

RichieRich:

The beatings I learned to endure. It was having your pants pulled down in front of other people is what did more damage than the beatings!

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Voyager,

I learned to endure too. Pain isn't a prob. I learned to zone out and go somewhere else in my head. That helps alot. For me, the most embarassing thing was how my mom bragged about it. What incited me to start this post was the other day when she was telling someone she has complete control over me.

"If I tell Richie to get the belt and come over here and lay down, he'll do it right this second."

She is so fooled. She had a chance to gain my respect, and she lost it.

• hartstrings
    hartstrings

I mentioned this when I first joined but this issue for me was the straw that broke the camel's back. Being told at a shepherding call by the elder that in order to solve my concern over bringing my outgoing 1 yr old to meetings because she wouldn't sit still that I should use a wooden spoon, well, too far buddy. This same elder stood by as a grew up and watched my father beat my mom and all of us kids savagely and never stepped in to help. KNOWING that background, still encouraging me to beat my baby. No excuse, never set foot in the KH again.

• Were you spanked? YES
    • How Regularly / severly? REGULARLY, BRUISED, BLEEDING
    • Did your parent ever "lose control" and truly BEAT you? SEE ABOVE
    • Do you know of others who were worse off? YOU MEAN MY BEST FRIEND WHOSE MOTHER WOULD POUR COLD WATER ON HER TO WAKE HER UP AND RIP CHUNKS OF HAIR OUT OF HER SCALP?
    • How widespread do you feel this problem is? ALIVE AND KICKING IN THE ORG. HADN'T YOU HEARD? CHILDREN AREN'T REALLY HUMANS, WE CAN DO WHATEVER WE WISH TO THEM. WE CAN TREAT THEM ANYWAY WE FEEL LIKE. THEY ARE THERE FOR US TO BREAK...

Whip

HS

• Netty
    Netty
    labelled "Rod of Discipline"

I remembe my parents having a wooden board, (think all the witnesses copied each other on this one) and named it "the board of education, to get to the seat of the problem".

• Freedom Fighter
    Freedom Fighter

This is something I feel very strongly about. I was never disciplined at the hall - probably because I used to go into a wee day dream most of the time, and my mum is not a 'spanker'. However, I always remember - I' ve posted this before - a particular family who used to overdo the discipline, particularly towards their older son.

Tuesdqay night book study was the worst as he was inevitably dragged into the hallway for, as we Scots say, a good leathering. I have never forgotten his cries of anguish, and for what, not being able to sit still during a turgid discussion of same old same old.

He was one of my childhood friends, and I have heard he is no longer a JW. I don't get much info from my mum as it's not the done thing to discuss those who have 'fallen away'.

FF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit