Angel Wings - What's the problem?

by Nellie 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nellie
    Nellie

Once you start questioning the beliefs of the organization, all kinds of things cross your mind. For instance, the bible clearly describes angels as having wings - and the WBTS illustrates them with wings in their publications - so what's up with the whole "not displaying images of angels" in witness homes, etc. Through the years I bought the position that angels are NOT children, so the images of babies with wings and halos are inconsistent with bible truth - but what's wrong with images of adult angels with wings and why are witnesses encouraged not to display them?

• skyman
    skyman

Nothing the bible says not to make an image of anything on earth or above the earth. So aevery painting is wring because some one might worship the omage you painted. So they grasp at straws hope for some to grab on.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

Then why do they use images of angels in WT publications?

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

Angels would only need wings if they where physical beings, take that further and why would they need human shaped bodies at all?

• Netty
    Netty

I remember two arguments: It is a form of idolatry, and we are not to worship angels but Jehovah. Once I went over to my moms house, about 4 or 5 years ago, wearing the most beautiful angel necklace, and she about had a heart attack. And proceeded on to give me the above explanation. sheesh!

• blondie
    blondie

I have seen images of angels in assembly halls to in murals.

Another thing used with angels are haloes that the WTS feels are pagan.

• willy_think
    willy_think

It is metaphorical, an angles wings represents the heavenly nature of angles. the child represents innocence, or if you like the absence of original sin.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The modern artwork ignores the Bibical names of these mythological creatures. Seraphim had 6 wings, 2 to cover the face, 2 to cover the genitals and 2 to fly about with. The next problem is they are serpents. The word seraphim means 'firey snakes'. The image of winged serpents is found all over the Middle East from mythology. The cherubim were bulls, or half bull half men, sometimes with wings. Ezekiel uses the imagery of the cherubim having the four faces, of a man, a bull, an eagle and a lion. This is also from mythology and specifically the four cardinal points on the astrological wheel. The famous Egyptian sphinx was a cherubic image. Again the image is found through the Middle Eastern iconography.

• Nellie
    Nellie

Whether they NEED wings or not to be angels, the bible clearly describes many of them - so I NEVER understood what the big deal was?

It's just all so contradictory - the society puts illustrations in their publications and yet somehow those same images become wrong for the laypeople to use?

So, I ask again, has anyone ever heard a plausible explanation as to why witnesses should shun images of angels (and Jesus) beyond the whole idolatry theory. I have pictures of my children on the wall - why was I never counseled that that was idolizing them?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Isn't it based upon these scriptures?

Psalms 78:58 - For they provoked him to anger with their high places, and moved him to jealousy with their graven images.
    Psalms 97:7 - Confounded be all they that serve graven images, that boast themselves of idols: worship him, all ye gods.
    Isaiah 42:8 - I am the LORD: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images.
    Jeremiah 8:19 - Behold the voice of the cry of the daughter of my people because of them that dwell in a far country: Is not the LORD in Zion? is not her king in her? Why have they provoked me to anger with their graven images, and with strange vanities?
    Micah 1:7 - And all the graven images thereof shall be beaten to pieces, and all the hires thereof shall be burned with the fire, and all the idols thereof will I lay desolate: for she gathered it of the hire of an harlot, and they shall return to the hire of an harlot.
    Micah 5:13 - Thy graven images also will I cut off, and thy standing images out of the midst of thee; and thou shalt no more worship the work of thine hands.

A painting or drawing wouldn't be a graven image. The question that remains in my mind is--why are paintings and drawings not allowed in homes of jws while it is not prohibited by the bible and it is permitted to be included in wts publications?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit