tetrapod.sapien

you too out.

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

Tag for later.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Derek

The gift, I believe, is just a coincidence - it's not that unusual for dying people to leave things to their family. While you probably envisioned a gift, the details may have been filled in when the real gift was found, slightly altering your memory of the vision.

No, no NO!

This is where that scenario would fit your world view and help you feel secure in your non-belief. I'm telling you that I saw the gift as described, and I described it to TWO people PRIOR to it being discovered.

Altered memory of the vision, therefore, is far less likely than me actually knowing something prior to it happening.

We'll have to agree to differ, but I know what I saw and I know what I told people afterwards. This is just ONE example of an experience I've had.

Sirona

• Mulan
    Mulan

In my family genealogy research, I have been in touch with several distant cousins, who send me photos by email, of common family members, sometimes from long, long ago.

One cousin sent a photo some time ago that we both thought was my grandfather's sister, May Ann at about age 40, and this one was labeled Maizie and her last name, which was my maiden name. Maizie was Aunt May's nickname. I sent a copy to my aunt, who told me it wasn't her, but that May had been named after a Maizie. She didn't know who this Maizie was. I agonized (I know that's a strong word, but I wanted to know who she was) over it for days. One night I had a dream that it was my great, great grandmother, Mary Ann. In my dream, she came to me and told me I should know it was her because we look alike. I went back and looked at the photo and I do resemble her. She died in 1902, and there are no photos of her, and no one alive to confirm it, but the cousins' consensus is that it is likely because my great grandfather very probably named his daughter after his mother.

I sure want to believe that was a real visit.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Now, how about how many of you had a tall grandfather on your mother's side, in the military, who would be proud of you right now for becoming a father figure, who would be pissed at you for trying to pull someone away from what they loved, and who had two large dogs for which he was well known?

That wouldn't work for me. My grandfather on my mother's side was short, and never in the military.

It might fit my grandfather on my father's side, because he was tall and was in the National Guard, but he hated dogs.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I understand that some people are open to it and others are not.

What if you WANT to be open to it and can't be?

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Billyg

It's a tough journey for us westerners to get out of our "logical"mindset. Nature often doesn't make sense but flows in a higher pattern. For me, sitting in nature with no particular intent, has opened me to the journey of spiritual realisation, something I could never have understood as a mind/logic focussed jw. From my limited reading and conversation, it seems that this is a kind of shamanic experience has been enjoyed by "primitive"societies for eons.

Just be careful what you dream for as it may come true..

• Sirona
    Sirona

Good post, Doofdaddy,

Don't worry, I'll lynch Derek at the BBQ on Saturday!

Sirona

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    What if you WANT to be open to it and can't be?

billygoat,

this is kind of what skepticism is. some people who have posted here seem to think that skeptics are close minded. end of story. black and white. really though, skepticism is a balance between awe at nature, and not wanting that nature to be misrepresented. a balance between wanting to know the real truth about phenomena, and the fact of probabilities. reminding people that the probability of something actually being supernatural is way lower than it being simply natural.

it's like being a party-pooper. but really people, the party ended a couple of hundred years ago.

Nature often doesn't make sense but flows in a higher pattern.

doof,

a higher what? nature makes more sense in 2005 than it ever has to us before in our entire history.

you make it sound as though primitive societies have some secret that us westerners are too narrow-minded ("mind/logic focussed jw") to realize.

do you not want to break the cycle from pre-history hunter gatherer mentality, and start finding out what nature is really like? to start using our big brains for something other than magical thinking?

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Sirona:

Don't worry, I'll lynch Derek at the BBQ on Saturday!

Bring it on!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit